Cross on Mars?

sunshaker

Keep seeing — As in it's in many photos? (you only posted one) Or you keep seeing this same image everywhere? The latter is because you can make copies of pictures and post them to the web. And the pictures will be the same.

Keep seeing — As in it's in many photos? (you only posted one) Or you keep seeing this same image everywhere? The latter is because you can make copies of pictures and post them to the web. And the pictures will be the same.

It is the only photo I have seen but on different sites, 1 of many.

http://ufosightingshotspot.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/ancient-irish-cross-slabs-carved-in.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_

Which i would normally take with a pinch of salt, But the above photo I posted seems to be an original nasa photo, But I could be wrong.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mer/gallery/all/1/m/3720/1M458433044EFFCEQKP2955M2M1.HTML

On that day, the rover used its alpha spectrometer. That is a contact instrument but I don't know if it would leave a mark like that in the dust.

As the NASA pictures isn't labelled "Amazing mark found on Mars surface!!!!" I can only assume it is something expected.

1M458433044EFFCEQKP2955M2M1-BR.JPG

On that day, the rover used its alpha spectrometer. That is a contact instrument but I don't know if it would leave a mark like that in the dust.

And wouldn't you know it the APXS which does touch the surface has screws around the contact ring which would make just that impression.

1024px-MER_APXS_PIA05113.jpg

You can even see the inside edge of the curved impression left by the contact ring as a whole.

Strange, on 10 Oct 2014 - 1:00 PM, said:

snapback.png

And wouldn't you know it the APXS which does touch the surface has screws around the contact ring which would make just that impression.

1024px-MER_APXS_PIA05113.jpg

You can even see the inside edge of the curved impression left by the contact ring as a whole.

Mystery solved, I agree 100%.

Still much to explore, Maybe next time.

But this is a microscopic picture taken by the microscopic imager.

So if the explanation is correct, the microscopic imager took a picture of a part of Mars where the Alpha particle X-ray spectrometer was previously posed.

How small is this screw?

Are you still doubting that the ring on the imager contacted the Martian soil before a photo of the area was taken? Even if someone worked out the size of the screw, how will that change the logic of the situation? If I thought it would maybe I would spend time looking for that information.

For I'd be really intrigued to find other aliens had visited Mars before Man did. What are the chances that the pattern on the ground from an alien visitation exactly matches part of the machinery taking the photo? Absolutely nil IMO.

Are you still doubting that the ring on the imager contacted the Martian soil before a photo of the area was taken? Even if someone worked out the size of the screw, how will that change the logic of the situation? If I thought it would maybe I would spend time looking for that information.

For I'd be really intrigued to find other aliens had visited Mars before Man did. What are the chances that the pattern on the ground from an alien visitation exactly matches part of the machinery taking the photo? Absolutely nil IMO.

I am simply asking how small was the screw.

If the image is microscopic, I guess (it's a guess) that the whole picture is less than a millimeter wide. That would made the screw on the picture less than 1/10 mm.

Otherwise, the image is not microscopic. It it is approximatively real size on the screen then yes it can be a screw.

Edited by michel123456

Microscopic imaging is used to analyze the size and shape of grains in sedimentary rocks, which is important for identifying whether water may have existed in the planet's past.
The Microscopic Imager is located on the arm of the rover. Its field of view is 1024 x 1024 pixels in size and it has a single, broad-band filter so imaging is in black and white.

The photo is in black and white so that is further evidence it could have come from the imager.

How wide is 1024 pixels?

Edited by Robittybob1

I am simply asking how small was the screw.

If the image is microscopic, I guess (it's a guess) that the whole picture is less than a millimeter wide. That would made the screw on the picture less than 1/10 mm.

Otherwise, the image is not microscopic. It it is approximatively real size on the screen then yes it can be a screw.

The Microscopic Imagers (MI) on the Mars Exploration Rovers, Spirit and Opportunity, have returned images of Mars with higher resolution than any previous camera system, allowing detailed petrographic and sedimentological studies of the rocks and soils. Designed to simulate a geologist’s hand lens, the MI cameras were mounted on the rovers’ instrument arms. They can resolve objects 0.1 mm across or larger. As part of the daily MER operations process, targets for the MI and other arm instruments were selected by using available Pancam, Navcam, and Hazcam imagery. The MI routinely observed targets that were investigated by the other ARM instruments to study surface details, to provide context for the spectrometer data, and to examine the results of rock abrasion tool (RAT) brushing and grinding activities (paraphrased from Ken Herkonhoff's Science article, Science vol 305, August 6, 2004).

http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/geology/mars-mer-microscopic-imager-surface-findings

So the smallest resolvable grains you can see are minimum 0.1 millimetres - which I htink would make it about right for a small, but still manageable screw. FYG the alphaspectrometer is not that big - I believe from pics on google image search - that the outer ring is about 52 mm in diameter