Was Jesus a real person?

Ten oz

You are arguing with Albert Einstein! I have not read the Talmud myself, but I do realize that it is huge from the description I found. It would also seem to preserve much learning from the Jewish Babylonian captivity. It would explain the IMF from my limited facts. Do you seriously think your 'bon mots' trump Albert Einstein's opinion? I'm not too modest, but certainly prepared to give way to his genius before almost anyone except Jesus Christ Himself, and most certainly my own. I must say, that's what I love about chess. You can not argue with checkmate!

If you haven't read the material referenced in the qoute and you are using it for your own context. You are basically arguing that Einstein was smart and he believed in Jesus therefor we all should believe in Jesus because none of us are smart as Einstein. That is absolutely not what Einstien in saying in that qoute.

But then again, they spoke Aramaic which isn't written with our alphabet. (Although it doesn't have the phoneme represented by the J in English. But then most other languages don't pronounce his name that way.)

That's what you get when you discuss the mishmash of stolen legends, politically motivated editing, hallucinations and mistranslations that make up the Christian Book of the Dead.

That's what you get when you discuss the mishmash of stolen legends, politically motivated editing, hallucinations and mistranslations that make up the Christian Book of the Dead.

I though that was the point you were making -- which seems have gone over JC's head (see what I did there).

If you haven't read the material referenced in the qoute and you are using it for your own context. You are basically arguing that Einstein was smart and he believed in Jesus therefor we all should believe in Jesus because none of us are smart as Einstein. That is absolutely not what Einstien in saying in that qoute.

And would be a monumentally stupid argument, anyway.

You are arguing with Albert Einstein! I have not read the Talmud myself, but I do realize that it is huge from the description I found. It would also seem to preserve much learning from the Jewish Babylonian captivity. It would explain the IMF from my limited facts. Do you seriously think your 'bon mots' trump Albert Einstein's opinion? I'm not too modest, but certainly prepared to give way to his genius before almost anyone except Jesus Christ Himself, and most certainly my own. I must say, that's what I love about chess. You can not argue with checkmate!

Albert Einstein's opinion on religion is no better than anyone else's opinion on religion.

I gave Einstein's opinion. Presumably he found it difficult to relate to individuals who were incompetent to comprehend alchemaic symbolism in parables and mystic analogies. His background in such things was, after all, far more profound than that of serious Bible students. Personally, I am somewhat at variance with Einstein myself, where his opinions seem to contradict those of Jesus Christ. Even contemporary Christianity is foul of King James' meticulous creation, which I deem the work of predestined providence and hence prophecies throughout. The Gospel of Thomas puts paid to the garbage about Constantine inventing Jesus. Jeshua ben Joseph is the original, but that is neither here nor there. The King James English, which is innately metaphorical in line with alchemy, can not be further translated. Consider John Chapter 3 for instance. What do "water and the spirit" translate to in modern English, or "He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true"? As for current orthodoxies, "born again", recalling Job Chapter 1, is in my opinion actually literal, and not as taken to be symbolic. Thus correct interpretation may require a prophet or psychic to expound, which phenomena Psychology began to expunge from Science in 1900. Too many soldiers had been herded into armies on high moral platforms deriving from Christianity. Too many corporations had made rods for their own backs. So tell me, who finances and controls the media and the educational institutions? Who then chooses what is and what is not taught? Consider the Civil War. Was it slavery, or was it 13 States seceding from the Union tax base that caused the real concern? I might conclude with QED.

You can't handle the truth.

Zephaniah Chapter 3 (KJV)

Edited by Pymander

Even contemporary Christianity is foul of King James' meticulous creation, which I deem the work of predestined providence

King James didn't create it.

Who are you to deem it to be of any significance?

Most Christians wouldn't say it was definitive (many would say it was wrong).

I gave Einstein's opinion.

"The religion of the future will be a cosmic religion. It should transcend personal God and avoid dogma and theology. Covering both the natural and the spiritual, it should be based on a religious sense arising from the experience of all things natural and spiritual as a meaningful unity. Buddhism answers this description. If there is any religion that could cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism."

(Albert Einstein)

Jeshua ben Joseph is the original, but that is neither here nor there.

As I've pointed out before there was no letter 'J' 2000 years ago so this is BS.

What do "water and the spirit" translate to in modern English,

Whisky on the rocks.

Consider the Civil War. Was it slavery, or was it 13 States seceding from the Union tax base that caused the real concern? I might conclude with QED.

It was slavery (despite the revisionist claims of certain racist arseholes).

You can't handle the truth.

You haven't given us any to handle.

Wow! You were all pretending to be so objective in your debating about the life of Christ. It didn't take much to bring out your true colours. Third generation dyed in the wool atheists suckling at the teets of mammon, bleeting like sheep, and perhaps running like lemmings towards what? Freud prostituted his talents to appease the powers, as revealed by his letters with Jung. 20 years brought on WWI. Woodrow Wilson appeased the Central Powers with a Fourteen Point Plan, devised with Edgar Cayce's input, to further prevent WWII. Reneging thwarted the intended effect in another 20 years, with the claim that they were too idealistic! Plainly, a further 20 put us in the Cuban Missile Crisis with the same causes, corporate greed and exploitation! Einstein likewise worked hard to establish the UN, and to spread some light. Corporations should be controlled, not controlling, on every front! And like Einstein and Woodrow, our efforts should be to embrace Truth, Justice and Liberty, a chain that is unbreakable if liberty is as set in Washington by Thomas Jefferson, "I have sworn upon the alter of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." We don't know the truth about helium and the Hindenburg, that requires science, but Rudolf Deisel had it right, and there are no suspicious circumstances? Have you Google Earthed the North Pole lately. It's all open sea! Forget about 17% swings in critical electorates when polls are usually out by 2%, for Al Gore. Keep believing convenient "truths" and I'll see you on Polaris maybe. Revelation Chapter 11. The Wheel turns.

Wow! You were all pretending to be so objective in your debating about the life of Christ. It didn't take much to bring out your true colours. Third generation dyed in the wool atheists suckling at the teets of mammon, bleeting like sheep, and perhaps running like lemmings towards what? Freud prostituted his talents to appease the powers, as revealed by his letters with Jung. 20 years brought on WWI. Woodrow Wilson appeased the Central Powers with a Fourteen Point Plan, devised with Edgar Cayce's input, to further prevent WWII. Reneging thwarted the intended effect in another 20 years, with the claim that they were too idealistic! Plainly, a further 20 put us in the Cuban Missile Crisis with the same causes, corporate greed and exploitation! Einstein likewise worked hard to establish the UN, and to spread some light. Corporations should be controlled, not controlling, on every front! And like Einstein and Woodrow, our efforts should be to embrace Truth, Justice and Liberty, a chain that is unbreakable if liberty is as set in Washington by Thomas Jefferson, "I have sworn upon the alter of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." We don't know the truth about helium and the Hindenburg, that requires science, but Rudolf Deisel had it right, and there are no suspicious circumstances? Have you Google Earthed the North Pole lately. It's all open sea! Forget about 17% swings in critical electorates when polls are usually out by 2%, for Al Gore. Keep believing convenient "truths" and I'll see you on Polaris maybe. Revelation Chapter 11. The Wheel turns.

Amusing.

The scary part is that you might not even be (aware that you are) trolling.

Spoiled 4 year old tantrum.

Halley: Sir Isaac, how can someone as learned as you believe such foolishness as Astrology.

Newton: Because Sir, I have studied it, and you have not.

"Morality is of the highest importance - but for us, not for God." - Albert Einstein

"[since time immemorial] the Kingdom of Heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force." - Yeshua ben Yoseph (okay?) Matthew 11:12 (compare the entire chapter Matthew 11 with Malachi 4:5 and Matthew 17:10 - 12 KJV).

Thus I believe the Scripture and the Master of masters before the orthodoxy of the Church. Jesus, and Mahatma Ghandi, never used force to exploit their fellow man. Both became victims of those who do.

Thus I believe the writings of the masters of science before those who leap on the threshold, and fill their masters houses with violence and deceit.

I hope you standards are not too high to receive this.

Edited by Pymander

Halley: Sir Isaac, how can someone as learned as you believe such foolishness as Astrology.

"Morality is of the highest importance - but for us, not for God." - Albert Einstein

"[since time immemorial] the Kingdom of Heaven suffereth violence, and the violent take it by force." - Yeshua ben Yoseph (okay?) Matthew 11:12 (compare the entire chapter Matthew 11 with Malachi 4:5 and Matthew 17:10 - 12 KJV).

Thus I believe the Scripture and the Master of masters before the orthodoxy of the Church. Jesus, and Mahatma Ghandi, never used force to exploit their fellow man. Both became victims of those who do.

Thus I believe the writings of the masters of science before those who leap on the threshold, and fill their masters houses with violence and deceit.

I hope you standards are not too high to receive this.

Your beliefs have nothing to do with the historical reality of Jesus.

Historical reality means what? What has actually happened, or what has been recorded, or which version has become official? There are two histories of Saint Theodora, who lived a life like Evita Peron, to the control of the Empire through the control of her hand puppet Justinian Caesar. She affected the compilation of the Fifteen Anathemas Against The Doctrines Of Origen in 553AD, outlawing occult interpretations, and making herself a Saint under the new philosophy. The official version, as per normal, claims that the deposed Pope, by her hand, had an axe to grind. One wonders if Evita lived that life twice.

Concerning the reality of Jesus, the official version is that He was a creation of Constantine to combat the proliferation of Roman faiths. The "Gospel of Thomas" is a recently discovered collection of the sayings of Jesus, dating from 200AD. It has been identified as the long suspected Q Source, from which Matthew and Mark were produced. Some of the sayings that didn't make it were:

"Damn the Pharisees. They are like dogs in a manger. They neither eat, nor suffer others to eat." concerning the scriptures compiled and supplied by the Essenes on Mount Carmel. Zachariah, father of John The Baptist, Jesus' cousin, was one of these and thus murdered.

"Is circumcision profitable to a man?"

"If it were, he would have been created that way. But the true circumcision, that of the heart, is in every wise profitable."

Blind Freddy only sees what he wants to see.

Edited by Pymander

Historical reality means what? What has actually happened, or what has been recorded, or which version has become official? There are two histories of Saint Theodora, who lived a life like Evita Peron, to the control of the Empire through the control of her hand puppet Justinian Caesar. She affected the compilation of the Fifteen Anathemas Against The Doctrines Of Origen in 553AD, outlawing occult interpretations, and making herself a Saint under the new philosophy. The official version, as per normal, claims that the deposed Pope, by her hand, had an axe to grind. One wonders if Evita lived that life twice.

Concerning the reality of Jesus, the official version is that He was a creation of Constantine to combat the proliferation of Roman faiths. The "Gospel of Thomas" is a recently discovered collection of the sayings of Jesus, dating from 200AD. It has been identified as the long suspected Q Source, from which Matthew and Mark were produced. Some of the sayings that didn't make it were:

"Damn the Pharisees. They are like dogs in a manger. They neither eat, nor suffer others to eat." concerning the scriptures compiled and supplied by the Essenes on Mount Carmel. Zachariah, father of John The Baptist, Jesus' cousin, was one of these and thus murdered.

"Is circumcision profitable to a man?"

"If it were, he would have been created that way. But the true circumcision, that of the heart, is in every wise profitable."

Blind Freddy only sees what he wants to see.

What actually happened is the only question asked in this thread.

I am not aware of any official version which proclaims Jesus to be a creation of Constantine. The Pauline Epistles are the earliest religious works telling the story of Jesus and they date by to 50AD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_epistles

Misquote - this rejoinder was addressed to Halley when Newton was questioned about religion.

The Einstein quote is pruned a little - the paragraph starts with the line

"I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation

Which rather dulls the impact

So one quote was wrong and the other was so far taken out of context as to mislead

So we wind up with a situation where a tremendous amount of research is necessary to even form an opinion, unless we wish to opt for ignorance or accept prejudice without adequate research. King Solomon, in Acclesiates 12:10-11 KJV, is recorded as writing:

"The preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth.

"The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd."

He concludes, thus, that upon discerning sources of wisdom, he noticed that all were telling the same story, and from a single source. I have found the same in a great variety sources which, by their nature, tend to instruct men toward humane works, and become held to be sacred works. They also tend to revere a supreme intellect and power which is fatherly as loving all of mankind and desiring consideration for his children as such. The occult then, becomes the study of the elements of creation, law and fate, which shepherd the flock throughout time. Science deals with a very earthy portion, the senses, and what is directly revealed thus. In this regard, Einstein has stated that science cannot determine whether these are a psychic phenomenon, or whether their object possess independent existence.

But for such a power it is quite possible that the soul must seek, learn and evolve on its way to perceiving God's reality. It may be that such reality is very detrimental to an unprepared psyche, which Jesus and John the Baptist (not the author) taught in several ways, including that which is given in John Chapter 3. It seems to strongly indicate that such a reality is precluded from the psyche which is evil because the self-condemnation would be more than it can accept, that the soul may evolve or devolve from body to body, and that the gift of eternal life consists of the condition that could not exist without God, namely that the soul lives on, and our heavens and hells are of our own making from past activity but toward more fulfilling lives.

Such philosophy, as stated by Solomon, seems common to sources of wisdom, as though it were from the same author. "The Divine Pymander of Hermes" could be our most ancient such work, and its philosophy is both profound, and entirely consistent with the Bible KJV (without superimposed orthodoxies against which Jesus warns in Matthew Chapters 5-7 "Sermon on the Mount"). A PDF may be downloaded. I have found such consistency throughout the scriptures of many religions and philosophies. Ellen White, in "The Great Controversy", likewise PDF downloadable, gives the history of the development and also the corruption and exploitation of Christianity since about 1000AD to the reformation, about the time when Nicolo Macheoveli wrote a threatise on Worldly Power in response to the ruthlessness of Pope Alexander VI.

Edited by Pymander

So we wind up with a situation where a tremendous amount of research is necessary to even form an opinion,

The question posed by this thread, which I started, isn't a metaphorical one. I am specifically asking about the historicity of Jesus. Proving the historicity of any historical figure requires research, yes.

If historicity is, as such, a determinant of truth, Plato's Critias and Timaeus proves Atlantis existed, and the Bible that Jesus walked in the time of Tiberius Caesar. But authorities arbitrarily, to a greater or lesser extent, choose between conflicting histories (eg Saint Theodora) and others flatly deny history as valid, often with transparent motives (eg The imperialist and slaver Aristotle concerning Plato). There are those who currently hold the Bible to be myth while others hold that it is entirely literal, and the Psychic Edgar Cayce says it is variously to be interpreted as literal, metaphysical, and spiritual, and in places all three at once). "Blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" according to Einstein. Some on this forum say that Einstein is no authority. Others that the argument from authority is invalid. Ultimately, I guess, each of us has to gather as much information as possible to decide for themselves on issues they consider important, and then hope that no relevant information has been missed. At the very least, we must be certain that the authority we trust is not a self appointed one with ulterior motives. I think Jesus qualifies beyond doubt as an authority that can be trusted, and that Einstein believes likewise and is qualified to make that judgement.

If historicity is, as such, a determinant of truth, Plato's Critias and Timaeus proves Atlantis existed, ...

There are those who currently hold the Bible to be myth while others hold that it is entirely literal, and the Psychic Edgar Cayce says ...

I think Jesus qualifies beyond doubt as an ...

If historicity is, as such, a determinant of truth, Plato's Critias and Timaeus proves Atlantis existed,

In that case the Hobbits exist.

Cayce is genereally regarded as a self-serving fraud.

Stating properties for Jesus in a thread about whether or not he exists is a logical fallacy called begging the question.

If historicity is, as such, a determinant of truth, Plato's Critias and Timaeus proves Atlantis existed, and the Bible that Jesus walked in the time of Tiberius Caesar. But authorities arbitrarily, to a greater or lesser extent, choose between conflicting histories (eg Saint Theodora) and others flatly deny history as valid, often with transparent motives (eg The imperialist and slaver Aristotle concerning Plato). There are those who currently hold the Bible to be myth while others hold that it is entirely literal, and the Psychic Edgar Cayce says it is variously to be interpreted as literal, metaphysical, and spiritual, and in places all three at once). "Blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" according to Einstein. Some on this forum say that Einstein is no authority. Others that the argument from authority is invalid. Ultimately, I guess, each of us has to gather as much information as possible to decide for themselves on issues they consider important, and then hope that no relevant information has been missed. At the very least, we must be certain that the authority we trust is not a self appointed one with ulterior motives. I think Jesus qualifies beyond doubt as an authority that can be trusted, and that Einstein believes likewise and is qualified to make that judgement.

Evidence regarding the existence of Atlantis would be geological and not non contemporary work of a philosopher referencing a time long ago. In the absence of geoligical evidence contemporary artifacts of art, literature, carpntry, etc produced by those who had lived on Atlantis would be the next best thing.

For Jesus the best evidence would be something writen or built carpentry that could be linked to his hands directly or a body/burial site. Next best would be contemporary artifacts of art, literature, carpntry, etc produced by those who had interactions with Jesus. After that any contemporary reference regardless of degrees of separation would be better than nothing at all. In this case, evidence of Jesus, nothing contemporary exists. The New Testement is not contemporary to Jesus and contains no first hand accounts.

"'If historicity is, as such, a determinant of truth, Plato's Critias and Timaeus proves Atlantis existed, '

"In that case the Hobbits exist.

":Cayce is genereally regarded as a self-serving fraud.

"Stating properties for Jesus in a thread about whether or not he exists is a logical fallacy called begging the question."

Let's talk about fallacies then. This will take some time, so bear with me until all edits are complete.

Einstein studied the Talmud and the Bible, by his own words, and did not dismiss the histories, but in fact, claimed the luminous figure of the Nazarene could not be the work of any phrase-monger, and that Christianity cannot be dismissed with any "bon mot". Bon mots won't do, unless you consider yourselves geniuses on a par to contradict him. This genius regards the Bible as history. The likes of Stalin, with vested interests, contradict him. Hitler styled labels like "soap boxing" are used to shut down opposition, but bon mots fly like plague locusts, and that's scientific?

Concerning the properties of Jesus, an absolute philosophical genius whose existence should be questioned like many lesser philosophers more ancient, with no less historical support; Einstein claimed that Jesus words, and those of the prophets of old, would heal all the social ills of humanity (stripped of additions by priests). Meanwhile, the prophets mentioned predicted Jesus back to Moses, whose nation of slaves now manage the economy of the "Free World", as prophecied in Genesis to Abraham. It seems that philosophers who teach unselfishness are arbitrarily deemed non-history! Why might that be, Geniuses?

Concerning Hobbits - JRR Tolkein, in a treatise on "Fairy" (fairy tales and mythology), states that fairy illustrates life's lessons, morality and consequences (eg "Troy" now discovered and unclaimed myth after Cayce gave past life readings in the Trojan war, including his own). Concerning the Bible, TRR Tolkein says that this is fairy made reality, in line with Edgar Cayce's claim that some of scripture is literal, metaphysical, and spiritual at the same time.

Concerning Edgar Cayce as a self-serving fraud, he once enquired of his own readings how to secure himself financially, and received a quote from the Bible, which he read once each year of his life. "My grace is sufficient unto thee." At need, money and resources found him, enough to build a hospital. In return, he provided readings to his benefactor, a Jewish Stockbroker, that produced the most extensive collection, the 900 series, toward the end of his life. The series is of great interest to serious students of the occult.

"Evidence regarding the existence of Atlantis would be geological and not non contemporary work of a philosopher referencing a time long ago. In the absence of geoligical evidence contemporary artifacts of art, literature, carpntry, etc produced by those who had lived on Atlantis would be the next best thing."

Possibly one of the best sources, if you can find a copy, is a book simply called "Atlantis" by Charles Berlitz. He systematically examines Plato's "Critias and Timaeus", the history of Atlantis denied by Artstotle the Imperialist slaver, and presents enough supporting evidence from around the globe to sink the Bismarck.

"For Jesus the best evidence would be something writen or built carpentry that could be linked to his hands directly or a body/burial site. Next best would be contemporary artifacts of art, literature, carpntry, etc produced by those who had interactions with Jesus. After that any contemporary reference regardless of degrees of separation would be better than nothing at all. In this case, evidence of Jesus, nothing contemporary exists. The New Testement is not contemporary to Jesus and contains no first hand accounts."

Do such things exist for philosophers who do not preach "All you need is love." On the contrary, the onus is on those who deny Jesus, to explain the Jews, and the Vatican, or at least all the manifestations of Christianity all over planet Earth, and throughout whatever history has not offended the exploiters of human resources across the same domain. You could start another thread and call it "Where did the Jews come from, and how did that affect so much influence on mankind?", or "How did Christianity emerge to achieve the moral impact that created the Present out of Roman Debauchery", or even "Why Has Mankind Cast God Behind His Back?"

My personal take on this last is that only life (even many lives) can advance the soul from gratifying its senses and its ego, and finding its "faith", interpreted "extensive concept of God's Power and Purposes"). This road we must all eventually find as no soul can continue to defy its Maker. The end result is none other than to become more Christlike, a condition which was known to the ancient Egyptian as producing the Sahu, the Glorified Body and Soul combined, at one with the Creator, and "dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto (courtesy Einstein); which no man has seen or can see, ..." echoing through the centuries in 1 Timothy 6:16. This answer to your claim that mortal remains are required is without any "faith", of course, impossible to comprehend, even by Roman Catholics if they do not read the Bible ("every word from the mouth of God"), and respond to its "goads and nails". It must be clear that, by accepting constraints from questionable authorities (which at times were Popes), these sorts of questions simply cannot be answered. Also that I do not operate on "blind faith". In the end, we can only know that all our "truths" are consistent, as based on correct hypotheses, however far flung, and no more.

Edited by Pymander

Einstein was a physicist.

You really don't want to believe that do you?

You want to pretend that he was a historical linguist.

"Einstein studied the Talmud and the Bible, by his own words, and did not dismiss the histories, but in fact, claimed the luminous figure of the Nazarene could not be the work of any phrase-monger, and that Christianity cannot be dismissed with any "bon mot". Bon mots won't do, unless you consider yourselves geniuses on a par to contradict him. "

So, to contradict him, I don't need to claim any great genius- I just need to point out that today's academics looking at those same scriptures don't come to the same conclusions.

You say "Possibly one of the best sources, if you can find a copy, is a book simply called "Atlantis" by Charles Berlitz. "

Well, Berlitz talked nonsense.

So if he is the best you can do in support of Atlantis...