ART in SCIENCE

Mike Smith Cosmos

Is this art or science

Which do you prefer to approach?

Which do you find most aestetically pleasing?

BOTH

i also found 4 the most Aesthetic, but my mind quickly took over and said to myself ." no safety lanes" and " bank near the driving lane so Danger "

Prompted by Acme's image and tale , And on the subject of bridges ......

This bit is anecdotal story:-

I've always been a boat person. I actually owned a boat when I was a student at college in London. Chiswick steps. I shot up via Putney Bridge to Central London one day on the River Thames . My Deisel Launch Stalled on me and I drifted helplessly under the bridge but was held into the leading edge of one of the pillars. ' deep strong currents to the pillars ' much like these in the picture' the current started to pull the boat down, scary the power of running water. I escaped with boat to tell the tale . But really freaky.

post-33514-0-45889400-1396738035_thumb.jpg

mike

Edited by Mike Smith Cosmos

Bear in mind this thread is about art v (sorry Mike) in science, and so we are comparing the art with the (applied) science in the bridges.

Quite so . Jolly good .

Yes but those 'currents' are an Art Form in there own right,[ Ive a good mind to paint them' ], despite their engineering Magnificence as structural ( scientifically engineered ) pillars . 'Never mind the quality feel the width' !

mike

ps . Look at the Art form, feel the danger,, behold the engineering

post-33514-0-53581700-1396740163.jpgEngineering - Look at the principles [ Not Aesthetic]

post-33514-0-83308000-1396740415.jpgArtform. - Feel the Energy { those curves Artistically beautiful }

Bridge & Water

Functionally perfect. Aesthetic ! Both art and science

mike

Continuing the theme of Art in Science

Who has seen the BodyWorlds exhibition?

Highly recommended, but is is Art or Science?

http://www.life.org.uk/whats-on/body-worlds

It was nearby but I didn't go. A little too expensive and a little too macabre for me. Depending on the viewer it -they?- could be art, science, or both.

Edited by Acme

Feel the emotional driving power of an artistic presentation of MAGELLAN AND HIS SHIP questing around Cape Horn and across the Pacific seeking to circumnavigate the globe .

post-33514-0-69269400-1397510036_thumb.jpg. post-33514-0-26033700-1397510070_thumb.jpg

We can relate this to individuals scientific and philosophical drive today to mentally circumnavigate the cosmos !

Mike

“I wanted very much to learn to draw, for a reason that I kept to myself: I wanted to convey an emotion I have about the beauty of the world. It's difficult to describe because it's an emotion. It's analogous to the feeling one has in religion that has to do with a god that controls everything in the whole universe: there's a generality aspect that you feel when you think about how things that appear so different and behave so differently are all run "behind the scenes" by the same organization, the same physical laws. It's an appreciation of the mathematical beauty of nature, of how she works inside; a realization that the phenomena we see result from the complexity of the inner workings between atoms; a feeling of how dramatic and wonderful it is. It's a feeling of awe — of scientific awe — which I felt could be communicated through a drawing to someone who had also had this emotion. It could remind him, for a moment, of this feeling about the glories of the universe.”
Richard P. Feynman, Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!

Art or illustration? I think it's all a matter of degree. In the Sistine chapel, Michelangelo was given the assignment to illustrate the story of the bible and the last judgment, which he did. Great art or not? A simple rule of thumb would be; if we continue to find a work of art useful, inspirational, beautiful and full of insight about ourselves and the world, for hundreds (at the least) or even thousands of years, then it is great art. With the pickled ewe, let'e just say that all the votes aren't in yet- or even born. My understanding is that the same is pretty much true for scientific theory. It has to continue to be useful.

Perhaps it isn't the actual image an artist produces that aids the scientist as much as the creative thinking it inspires. On the other hand, the invention of linear perspective by the artist Brunelleschi helped influence objectivity in scientific investigation. In a way, the artist helped the scientist to "see" more clearly. I think the same could be true today. (If you look at that picked ewe long enough....)

Mike Smith Cosmos, It's just my subjective opinion, but I must say that your efforts in art demonstrate some remarkable ability. For your star painting you chose a square which presents some rather difficult visual problems. A square is one of the three basic geometric shapes. The shape itself becomes competition for what you put in it. With a rectangle, virtually anything you put in it becomes dominate over the shape itself. Bottom line; what you put in a square has to be pretty strong and yours is. Probably good that I didm't tell you all this before you started.

Your woodland painting is very interesting! There is an obvious asymmetry to the composition, which I think we talked about before. Your specimen tree in the foreground is indeed a tree with tree parts, but given the way you painted it, it also also remarkably resembles a single leaf. Much unconscious symbolism there! I am most curious about the small, very expressive reddish tree in the lower left. I suspect there is an unconscious relevance, to what I don't know. Additionally, I love that you put the black where you put it, in the background, to represent the unknown. It is a distinct principle in art (scientifically verifiable) that the darkest colors are the closest. What you are saying in the painting is that we are much closer to the unknown than we think. Or maybe it is closer to us than we think?

Edited by Daniel Patrick Fisher

• 2 weeks later...

An abstract illustration of how the cosmos has a variety of gaps , that allow entities to pass unimpeded .
( be they light, radiation , atomic particles , matter, objects , etc )

post-33514-0-52144400-1399624357_thumb.jpg

A] Could think of a view from above looking down on two islands, boat out to sea, Sees a way through like Magellan, between the islands, to a new land of wonder beyond.

B] Could be a light in the sky, shining between clouds to the world beneath..

C] Could be an illustration of a Sub atomic particle, somehow seeing its way through, by some energy change, or quantum tunneling , to a new state beyond otherwise insurmountable potentials.

D] Could be ......... something going through a .......gap to .........some place else .

E] ......................................... ?

It is interesting ,that the mind tries to make sense of what it sees.

Mike

FOCUS OFTEN APPEARS IN SCIENTIFIC DEVICES ( computers , light systems , positioning control systems , etc

This abstract allows a certain interest in tracing the approach to the point of focus :-

post-33514-0-82894500-1400099021_thumb.jpgmks

eg keyboard terminology

:Stack Overflow is a question and answer site for professional and enthusiast programmers.

Stack Overflow

:focus and :active are two different states.

:focus represents the state when the element is the element currently selected to receive input from input devices (keyboard). :active represents the state when the element is currently being activated by the user.

Let's put that into perspective with an example. Let's say we have a <button>. The <button> will not have any state to begin with. It just exists. If we use Tab to give "focus" to the <button>, it now enters its :focus state. If you then click (or press space), you then make the button enter its (:active) state.

. Quote . compliments of stack overflow .

Mike

On the way into a painting session yesterday, on the bus, I asked a complete stranger Student. " what image would you say would best fit the Universe, The whole Thing " he thought for a moment and said " the beach ".

so during my art session I did two things

1] a allowed drops of diluted white acryllic paint to free fall onto some Black paper .

post-33514-0-79887200-1400751569_thumb.jpgpost-33514-0-09181100-1400751614_thumb.jpg

Observation :-

Note quantum style sizes and detail symmetry breaking 'crown type' minute thickness radiating symmetrical spines.

2] I thought how best I could represent his beach for the Universe, so Big bang, like the drops of white paint , creating the image shown (possibly )post-33514-0-41680900-1400751939_thumb.jpg

I thought in terms of a volcanic Island, central , adjacent still lagoon, HIS BEACH , Coral reef with main Waves Breaking on the reef .

mike

The picture on the left is blurry. It doesn't show much fine detail. But look in the bottom left-hand corner. Move your gaze 1-inch rightwards, and 3/4- inch upwards - to the yellow beach.

On the beach, you see a black vertical rectangular thing. Doesn't it resemble the monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey"? Admittedly a bit short, and leaning backwards slightly. But definitely reminiscent of the monolith - you can even see the apemen crouching around it!

What the moral of this insight may be, who can say?

?.......". Doesn't it resemble the monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey"? Admittedly a bit short, and leaning backwards slightly. But definitely reminiscent of the monolith - you can even see the apemen crouching around it!

You are quite right , although it was not planned ,when I painted it in the row boat. The speed I did the painting made me use the 'carrot' shape for people on the beach placed randomly , however when I enlarge the picture with my I pad , sure enough it does look like the monolith from 2001 with people looking in a semi circle from the left .

" Maybe we are due the next monolith, as per 2001 a space Odessy " to take us up a notch as per Arthur c Clark "

' I think I may nip down to labran bay and have a quick look , just in case '

Mike

The picture on the left is blurry. It doesn't show much fine detail. But look in the bottom left-hand corner. Move your gaze 1-inch rightwards, and 3/4- inch upwards - to the yellow beach.

On the beach, you see a black vertical rectangular thing. Doesn't it resemble the monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey"? Admittedly a bit short, and leaning backwards slightly. But definitely reminiscent of the monolith - you can even see the apemen crouching around it!

i have taken another shot of the picture closer up .

should be less blurred.

Ladram Bay Picture :-

post-33514-0-51540300-1401530275_thumb.jpg

Maybe the monolith was slightly buried in sand at its base, and the weight made it lean over a bit. The people in a semi circle were certainly looking interested ! :o

Mike

Entropy , the War.

http://www.scienceforums.net/uploads/monthly_05_2014/post-33514-0-77826700-1401546427.jpg

The battle lines are drawn . The Big Bang . Top left . Shows the outflow of energy, light and matter . The universe is born and the distribution continues , unabated . By entropy ,more and more energy gets put beyond reach.

Fighting back are the forces of regeneration. Bottom right. Life ,gravity, and an ever open system , fighting upward and outward on a journey to fill the universe.

The battle can be seen raging in the dark sky above . Mid picture. Where a trillion trillion ,suns ,planets , and space wage their relentless fight .

Mike