If everything ends, did it ever really exist?

ImMeaningless

I'm sorry if what I say is complete nonsense as I I don't know too much about sience, but if everything that begins and everything that is ends eventually, has it really ever existed? There's no time to go back in, there's nothing left of existence. So there isn't anything it could have been into.

This also gave me another thought, as everything that can be will be. What if time was actually a loop?. I mean what if when everything that could be has been and instead of existence of everything just ceasing to be, it all begins again.

I'm not good at putting my thoughts into words and my english isn't too good but I hope you still can understand what I'm trying to say with this crazy "trying to sound clever" nonsense.

Hello and welcome to the Science Forum.

By everything ends I want to understand what you mean so we know which direction we should sway the conversation in.

Do you mean life of the individual? Humanity? or the actual Universe?

Sounds like a Rustin Cohle quote:

"It's like in this universe we process time linearly forward. But outside of our space time from what would be a fourth dimensional perspective time wouldn't exist. And from that vantage could we attain it? We see our space time would look flattened. Like a single sculpture of matter and super-position of every place it ever occupied. Our sentience is just cycling through our lives like carts on a track. See everything outside our dimension that's eternity. Eternity looking down on us. Now to us its a sphere but to them its a circle."

Edited by Silvestru

Well, we human types can get overwhelmed by the concept of infinity. And that is what's being considered when...wait. Your username is "ImMeaningless" and, when I checked, I was told that you joined 3 hours-ago.

I'm not buying your not-goody Enrish, "has it really ever existed" angle.

8 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

Hello and welcome to the Science Forum.

By everything ends I want to understand what you mean so we know which direction we should sway the conversation in.

Do you mean life of the individual? Humanity? or the actual Universe?

Sounds like a Rustin Cohle quote:

"It's like in this universe we process time linearly forward. But outside of our space time from what would be a fourth dimensional perspective time wouldn't exist. And from that vantage could we attain it? We see our space time would look flattened. Like a single sculpture of matter and super-position of every place it ever occupied. Our sentience is just cycling through our lives like carts on a track. See everything outside our dimension that's eternity. Eternity looking down on us. Now to us its a sphere but to them its a circle."

I mean the end of the whole eternity. End of all the universes there is, all the universes there will be and all that is left is pure nothingness. Because if there is something it will eventually come to an end and become nonexistent.

Well what makes you get out of bed in the morning if you really think it's all meaningless? And it's the same as knowing that you will one day die. It doesn't mean you shouldn't live life to the fullest until then.

I don't know what idea you have about what the universe is and how you think it will end but nothing just dis-appears.

5 minutes ago, scherado said:

Well, we human types can get overwhelmed by the concept of infinity. And that is what's being considered when...wait. Your username is "ImMeaningless" and, when I checked, I was told that you joined 3 hours-ago.

I'm not buying your not-goody Enrish, "has it really ever existed" angle.

Sorry, but I didn't get what you are actually doubting?

And as to my username, I'm just referring to how everything is just happening without any reason or meaning and how me and my life has really no meaning or actually anything that exists has no real meaning. There is just things happening until there isn't.

This isn't a counseling forum ImMeaningless. I'm sorry if you think that way but that's a selfish approach from your side.

I don't know you but just the fact that you have access to the internet puts you on the upper half of the worlds population when it comes to opportunity.

If you want to have a productive conversation me and others on this forum will be more than happy to join but this will not be counseling.

27 minutes ago, ImMeaningless said:

I mean the end of the whole eternity. End of all the universes there is, all the universes there will be and all that is left is pure nothingness. Because if there is something it will eventually come to an end and become nonexistent.

That would appear to contradict conservations laws. How could everything cease to exist. That makes no sense.

9 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

This isn't a counseling forum ImMeaningless. I'm sorry if you think that way but that's a selfish approach from your side.

I don't know you but just the fact that you have access to the internet puts you on the upper half of the worlds population when it comes to opportunity.

If you want to have a productive conversation me and others on this forum will be more than happy to join but this will not be counseling.

What makes you think im counselling?

I just stated my perspective of the existence and eternity, but I know it's not the right one. I know I don't really know anything about it and I also believe that no one really knows the absolute truth about it. There is so little we know and can actually proof.

So that leaves as to only be able to share our thoughts about it with others and try to learn more and create our own beliefs.

And to your earlier comment, I really am having hard time to get motivated to do anything because I feel like everything I do or achieve doesn't matter as I will die someday, and yes I can leave my mark on the world but eventually that mark will fade away.

10 minutes ago, ImMeaningless said:

What makes you think im counselling?

I just stated my perspective of the existence and eternity, but I know it's not the right one. I know I don't really know anything about it and I also believe that no one really knows the absolute truth about it. There is so little we know and can actually proof.

So that leaves as to only be able to share our thoughts about it with others and try to learn more and create our own beliefs.

And to your earlier comment, I really am having hard time to get motivated to do anything because I feel like everything I do or achieve doesn't matter as I will die someday, and yes I can leave my mark on the world but eventually that mark will fade away.

I understand where you're coming. Well If I can give some personal advice try to temporarily disconnect from this emotional thinking for a bit and consider that chemicals in your brain and hormones highly influence your thinking. My advice is to focus on some sort of movement/activity, get those endorphins going. After that if you still have free time read about or watch some physics documentaries. Start with something fun and entertaining first to start your appetite if it's not already there. "Cosmos" is fun for example.

Forget about the other stuff for now, it will pass and seem meaningless as time goes by.

Edited by Silvestru

22 minutes ago, Strange said:

That would appear to contradict conservations laws. How could everything cease to exist. That makes no sense.

I don't mean that everything just ceases to be with a snap of the fingers. I see it like everything slowly nearing it's end step by step. But as I said I really don't know much about science as I'm 18 years old and just finished high school so I know I'm probably talking complete nonsense as I stated earlier

37 minutes ago, scherado said:

Does it make any less sense than "singularity?"

A singularity means that the mathematics has ceased to be applicable; i.e. that the theory no longer works under those conditions. It has no physical reality.

Edited by Strange

3 hours ago, ImMeaningless said:

... if everything that begins and everything that is ends eventually, has it really ever existed? ...

Everything begins means (to me anyway) it existed. Thus, my answer to, "has it really ever existed?" is YES obviously. You recognize that was contradictory, which means you answered your own question as I did, yes things do exist. Your question seems to imply you want to know some deeper knowledge about existence. Philosophers have pondered that question before, and René Descartes wrote, "Cogito ergo sum," Latin for, "I think therefore I am." That's the most complete answer that I know of. We do not know why or how we exist.

2 hours ago, ImMeaningless said:

I really am having hard time to get motivated to do anything because I feel like everything I do or achieve doesn't matter as I will die someday, and yes I can leave my mark on the world but eventually that mark will fade away.

Forget marking up the world. The world doesn't care. It's very old and sometimes a bit senile. ;)

Think instead about your environment, the sphere of influence you have in society. You're 18 now, and you think you're meaningless. I think you're just wrong. You aren't meaningless, you're just insignificant in your own mind. 

Realizing that we're nothing compared to the universe is a humbling experience. But we're human, and that means we have sacrificed much in evolution to get these big, intelligent brains. You have a great deal of potential in those brains. We all start from meaningless nothing, and we build a unique life with meaning for ourselves.

So what if, cosmically speaking, you're nothing? Now that you know that, maybe you can become something? 

If everything ends, did it ever really exist?

The all protons and electrons that have been created during start of this Universe are all here, unless they annihilated or transformed to other particles, during fusion, fission, or other nuclear transformation.

Proton can decay to neutron, positron and neutrino (inside of proton-rich unstable isotopes, or during the most basic fusion). This process is called beta decay plus (or positron emission).

Neutron will decay to proton, electron and antineutrino (free one after 15 minutes mean-life, or inside of neutron-rich unstable isotopes). This process is called beta decay minus.

So, instead of one sub-atomic particle, you have couple more less massive-less energetic ones instead.

Electron will annihilate with its antiparticle antimatter positron, producing gamma photons. Instead of matter-antimatter pair, you will have electric neutral photons instead.

The all atoms that used to be inside of f.e. dinosaurs or Cesar or the all ancient Romans (or other body burning cultures) are inside of you.

3 hours ago, ImMeaningless said:

But as I said I really don't know much about science as I'm 18 years old

Start from reading provided by me above links.

Edited by Sensei