51 replies to this topic

#1 hipmatt

hipmatt

Lepton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBakersfield

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

Well i believe computer science is. I am writing an essay on why it is considered a science. I have found great peered reviewed articles on why it is but I cannot find a single article on why computer science is not a science. I need help in finding these articles. if anyone would be so kind in just point me in the right direction.  :embarass:

#2 Roger Dynamic Motion

Roger Dynamic Motion

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

Well i believe computer science is. I am writing an essay on why it is considered a science. I have found great peered reviewed articles on why it is but I cannot find a single article on why computer science is not a science. I need help in finding these articles. if anyone would be so kind in just point me in the right direction.  :embarass:

Because !~ Computer science is not (Universal scientific knowledge)

#3 hipmatt

hipmatt

Lepton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBakersfield

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

Because !~ Computer science is not (Universal scientific knowledge)

Thank you Roger. for your explanation. I Have been searching different forums and a bunch of databases. There just seems to be no articles on why computer science is Not a science.  

#4 KipIngram

KipIngram

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 699 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

I feel like computer science is really more of a branch of mathematics than of science.

#5 dimreepr

dimreepr

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,860 posts
  • LocationStonehouse, Gloucestershire.

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

I feel like computer science is really more of a branch of mathematics than of science.

Is a branch of physics not scientific?

Perchance he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am.... -John Donne.

WARNING ...Participation in topics I start can seriously affect you’re grades... WARNING

#6 KipIngram

KipIngram

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 699 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:18 PM

Computer science really isn't a branch of physics.  You could consider the electronic operations of a computer to be "approaching" physics, but most computer science programs in the US don't study that - you get that in an appropriate branch of electrical engineering.

Good courses in computer science might address things like dealing properly with cache memories in multi-core programming, but they really don't go down to the level of flip flops and gates and transistors.

#7 EdEarl

EdEarl

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,049 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

CS is a branch of mathematics. Almost all computers are based on binary arithmetic and Turing machines, and Boolean logic is used to describe and optimize computer circuits.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. -- Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama.

Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation. -- Edward R. Murrow

If there is a god, he is addicted to dice.

#8 KipIngram

KipIngram

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 699 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

CS is a branch of mathematics. Almost all computers are based on binary arithmetic and Turing machines, and Boolean logic is used to describe and optimize computer circuits.

Yes - that's my view as well.

#9 dimreepr

dimreepr

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

Computer science really isn't a branch of physics.

Yet mathematics is:

So which is it?

Perchance he for whom this bell tolls may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am.... -John Donne.

WARNING ...Participation in topics I start can seriously affect you’re grades... WARNING

#10 KipIngram

KipIngram

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 699 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

I don't get it - those aren't contradictory statements.  There is math and there is science - they are separate fields.  Computer "science" is more closely related to math.

#11 dimreepr

dimreepr

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:32 PM

I don't get it - those aren't contradictory statements.  There is math and there is science - they are separate fields.  Computer "science" is more closely related to math.

I'm a simple layman, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't math the language of physics?

#12 KipIngram

KipIngram

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 699 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

It is, but it is not "part of physics."  Physics makes use of mathematics, but mathematics is studied in its own right as a "pure subject," independent of any application.

#13 dimreepr

dimreepr

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:56 PM

It is, but it is not "part of physics."  

How can one differentiate? 

The English language is part of English literature, but you wouldn't say 'windows for dummies' isn't literature.

#14 KipIngram

KipIngram

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 699 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

math·e·mat·ics
maTH(ə)ˈmadiks/
noun

1. the abstract science of number, quantity, and space. Mathematics may be studied in its own right ( pure mathematics ), or as it is applied to other disciplines such as physics and engineering ( applied mathematics ).

phys·ics
ˈfiziks/
noun

1. the branch of science concerned with the nature and properties of matter and energy. The subject matter of physics, distinguished from that of chemistry and biology, includes mechanics, heat, light and other radiation, sound, electricity, magnetism, and the structure of atoms.

#15 dimreepr

dimreepr

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:40 PM

Can one study physics without mathematics?

#16 DrKrettin

DrKrettin

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 595 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:42 PM

I don't consider computer science as a science because it is an artificial construct with no relation to the physical world. It is an invention. It is called a science because programming involves logical argument. I can't see it as a branch of maths either, it is just the mechanism by which a complicated machine works.

No, you can't study physics without maths, but it doesn't follow that maths is then a science.

κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα / μναμοσύνα σέθεν /  ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον· οὐ / γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων / τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας· 

#17 KipIngram

KipIngram

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 699 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:45 PM

You can't do accounting without mathematics either, but math isn't a part of accounting.

#18 dimreepr

dimreepr

Scientist

• Senior Members
  • 3,860 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:53 PM

Happy to be wrong  :-).

It means I've learnt something...

#19 KipIngram

KipIngram

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 699 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

Sorry if I sounded contentious at all - several threads in play this morning and some of them are somewhat contentious.  That tone really had no place here in this thread.

#20 Thorham

Thorham

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

science
ˈsʌɪəns/
noun
noun: science
  1. the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.
    "the world of science and technology"
    synonyms: branch of knowledge, body of knowledge/information/facts, area of study, discipline, field
    "the science of criminology"
    • a particular area of science.
      plural noun: sciences
      "veterinary science"
    • a systematically organized body of knowledge on a particular subject.
      "the science of criminology"
    • archaic
      knowledge of any kind.
      "his rare science and his practical skill"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users