Extra activity in some web pages...

Externet

Hi.

At some web pages, (mainly newspapers) the fan in my laptop always speeds up; which I believe such sites are pumping some content that I never see at all, because am using an advertisement blocker. Fan returns to 'normal' speed after exiting such sites.

Does it make sense that blocked content still gets downloaded (but not displayed) increasing the processor activity ? When such hyperactive behavior happens, all browsing slows down, but pages show pristine clean, free of 'jumping monkeys'.

Running Linux since '95, blocker since '07.

It isn't a superficial covering up.

The content is not downloaded executed, which is why adblockers are considered a security feature.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicSecurity#NoScript

NoScript

If you unknowingly visit a compromised website, this will prevent scripts (i.e. programs) from running on your system.

Furthermore, the ad servers know when the ads have been blocked, which prevents the domain hosting those ads from collecting money.

Why Ad Blocking is devastating the to the sites you love (Ken FIsher, Arstechnica)

https://arstechnica.com/business/2010/03/why-ad-blocking-is-devastating-to-the-sites-you-love/

Finally, on a slow connection, you will notice that an ad blocker such as AdBlock Plus makes the pages load more quickly.

Edited by MonDie

Heavy processor activity on a web page is usually a sign that a script is running. Definitely agree that NoScript is a good idea.

I also use Disconnect to block tracking, uBlock Origin for adblocking and DansGuardian on my proxy server to block any sites I just don't want eating my bandwidth. (And Duckduckgo for searches - what I do is no business of Google's so they can f*ck off.)

Pihole, block the ads across your network at the dns level.

Bear in mind that these sites might be doing other stupid things like lots of flash, badly written JavaScript etc... I've noticed a correlation with high CPU and local newspaper web pages.

Thank you.

Yes, ocassionally I get a 'script' warning halting processes, What are those 'scripts' ? I just click to ignore and resumes normal operation.

Google? Sorry, don't do Google either, nor Windows, nor Explorer. I do not know what a virus is. Duckduck is the one. And as I pay service by the megabyte, advertisement blocker it is !

Edited -added : Well, found a definition of a 'script' and is not sort of a logo graphics as I thought... It is instructions used to automate processes on a computer. Bunch of pusher sites using any methods in a race to take control of users equipment.

Edited by Externet

Scripts are like mini-programs.

Sometime scripts can go into an infinite loop or just take an eon or two to complete. Modern browsers try to detect this so you have an option to stop the script from running.

You could try selectively disabling extensions and add-ons, though something like NoScript may provide a simpler route.

Google? Sorry, don't do Google either, nor Windows, nor Explorer. I do not know what a virus is. Duckduck is the one. And as I pay service by the megabyte, advertisement blocker it is !

Who does use Windoze? If you count smartphones & tablets, Macroshaft has less than 20% of the OS market (some sources put it as low as 11%!).

As they say; the only use for Exploder is to download a proper browser.

(I switched to Linux when Windoze 95 came out - couldn't stand all the baby talk - 'My Computer' , 'My Briefcase' etc. Bleaugh.)

Who does use Windoze? If you count smartphones & tablets, Macroshaft has less than 20% of the OS market (some sources put it as low as 11%!).

As they say; the only use for Exploder is to download a proper browser.

(I switched to Linux when Windoze 95 came out - couldn't stand all the baby talk - 'My Computer' , 'My Briefcase' etc. Bleaugh.)

i tried Linux a few times but I don't want to learn to assemble a car before I get to drive it. Some people just want to get things done, not f..ck about under bonnet.

Edited by StringJunky

i tried Linux a few times but I don't want to learn to assemble a car before I get to drive it. Some people just want to get things done, not f..ck about under bonnet.

You should maybe try Mint. I know a lot of people who use it very happily without knowing jack about computers.

I use SUSE Tumbleweed which is definitely not for beginners. But the old Macroshaft FUD that Linux is difficult should have died out long ago.

You should maybe try Mint. I know a lot of people who use it very happily without knowing jack about computers.

I use SUSE Tumbleweed which is definitely not for beginners. But the old Macroshaft FUD that Linux is difficult should have died out long ago.

That's the one I've used the most but it's been probably three or four years since I used it.