pandabear88

Does anybody know of any scientific studies done on empaths?

Phi for All    4814

an empath has told me before that he could feel the emotions of his roommates while they were downstairs and he was upstairs in his room. would you guys say he was only misunderstanding the source of his emotions?

has it been proven that one person can't directly feel the emotions or physical feelings of another person? maybe they can read their emotions by expressions, and their empathy might make them feel a certain way because of it, but that's not what i mean. for example, can one person experience another person's emotions or physical feelings if they can't see them, like if a wall is between them?

You need to understand that science doesn't attempt to *prove* anything. The only thing we can do is offer explanations, based on observation and testing, supported with evidence, to explain various phenomena. Empathic ability of the kind you mention has been tested and lacks any evidence to suggest there is more there than a normal statistical range of sensitivity. If evidence had been found, studies and experiments to suggest a hypothesis regarding empaths could be put forward. Without some kind of testable, repeatable evidence, you can't have any kind of hypothesis or theory.

Science really has no stance on empaths. What you describe as an empath is supernatural, and outside what science is focused on.

• Upvote 1

koti    140

You need to understand that science doesn't attempt to *prove* anything. The only thing we can do is offer explanations, based on observation and testing, supported with evidence, to explain various phenomena. Empathic ability of the kind you mention has been tested and lacks any evidence to suggest there is more there than a normal statistical range of sensitivity. If evidence had been found, studies and experiments to suggest a hypothesis regarding empaths could be put forward. Without some kind of testable, repeatable evidence, you can't have any kind of hypothesis or theory.

Science really has no stance on empaths. What you describe as an empath is supernatural, and outside what science is focused on.

But Phi, can you give any links to peer reviewed studies which disprove empaths?

(Sory, I couldn't resist)

pandabear88    1

But Phi, can you give any links to peer reviewed studies which disprove empaths?

(Sory, I couldn't resist)

thanks. Phi said it has been tested, so i want an article reviewing the tests.

koti    140

For the last time, please read what Phi for All wrote, read it twice, five times if needed, try to understand.

Phi for All    4814

The best thing would be to understand what empathy really is. People can be empathic for sure, and here's a test for that devised by the University of Cambridge.

Empathy is just the ability to see things from another's perspective, and if you do it right, you can't help but feel a bit the same. But that's a far cry from the kind of supernatural sensitivity you mentioned the empath you know told you he could manifest. When that sort of thing is tested for, it's never repeatable, and any variations from statistical normal are explainable through natural means. Earlier, he might have heard loud voices downstairs, now there's silence, he imagines them brooding angrily, empathizes with it, then goes downstairs and sees his roommates scowling at one another.

Let me ask you this, have you ever found what you're looking for, an article reviewing the tests, for something else supernatural, like telekinesis, or telepathy? Have you ever found a study saying "We tested x people and found that nobody could guess which card would come up next in a deck better than a certain range of normal capabilities"?

pandabear88    1

The best thing would be to understand what empathy really is. People can be empathic for sure, and here's a test for that devised by the University of Cambridge.

Empathy is just the ability to see things from another's perspective, and if you do it right, you can't help but feel a bit the same. But that's a far cry from the kind of supernatural sensitivity you mentioned the empath you know told you he could manifest. When that sort of thing is tested for, it's never repeatable, and any variations from statistical normal are explainable through natural means. Earlier, he might have heard loud voices downstairs, now there's silence, he imagines them brooding angrily, empathizes with it, then goes downstairs and sees his roommates scowling at one another.

Let me ask you this, have you ever found what you're looking for, an article reviewing the tests, for something else supernatural, like telekinesis, or telepathy? Have you ever found a study saying "We tested x people and found that nobody could guess which card would come up next in a deck better than a certain range of normal capabilities"?

you're probably right. and no, but i haven't searched for that kind of article before. i never believed in supernatural powers before, so i guess there is no reason to believe in the "supernatural empaths" either.

• Upvote 2

koti    140

you're probably right. and no, but i haven't searched for that kind of article before. i never believed in supernatural powers before, so i guess there is no reason to believe in the "supernatural empaths" either.

+1

Phi for All    4814

Remember that anybody studying empathic ability is going to be looking for behavior that is way beyond what would be considered normal sensitivity to the feelings of others. If they can't document this extraordinary behavior, if it can't be measured repeatedly in a meaningful way, there's no article to write. When they do find evidence, even if it runs against mainstream science, it must be considered and explained.

Here's a good example. People have long held that certain charms can affect the outcome of competitive activities (and lots of rational scientists insist luck is an illusion), so psychologists at the U of Cologne devised an experiment that tested this, and found there was an effect outside what would be considered normal. It's not luck really, but it seems that in situations where a lot of confidence can benefit, a lucky charm actually can increase your chances of success in a measurable way.

Perhaps you could undertake your own study on empaths with this perspective. Perhaps people who believe they're superempathic are more confident and successful at using the standard share of empathy we all have.

Posted (edited)

Dogs seem to be able to correct interpret human emotional cues better than wolves, so perhaps your research should start from there.

There is nothing insane in saying empaths exist, as dogs can easily experience the emotions of humans near them.

The crazy begins when you say that they can get the emotions of the persona's downstairs, through walls and floors. Such a thing may be possible, but I'd say 90% of these claims are done by disregarding the scientific method.

If it is possible, maybe it has to do with the magnetic fields emitted by the brain.

Edited by quickquestion

koti    140

Dogs seem to be able to correct interpret human emotional cues better than wolves, so perhaps your research should start from there.

There is nothing insane in saying empaths exist, as dogs can easily experience the emotions of humans near them.

The crazy begins when you say that they can get the emotions of the persona's downstairs, through walls and floors. Such a thing may be possible, but I'd say 90% of these claims are done by disregarding the scientific method.

If it is possible, maybe it has to do with the magnetic fields emitted by the brain.

Dogs have extremely acute senses of hearing and smell. They can literally hear and smell your emotions like fear for example. This might look like a super power but it's only evolution I'm afraid. This has nothing to do with sensing emotions with some 6th sense so yes, there is a lot of insane in stating that empath's who have ESP capabilites exist.

Quark....i am interested to find scientific evidence in the phenomenon too...and I have not found one though...are u interested to do research about empath?

xkp    0

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-empaths-survival-guide/201703/the-science-behind-empathy-and-empaths

I wouldn't call it a super power, I'd call it a hyper sensitivity that is difficult to cope with. Since empathy has to do with emotions, which can be rather nebulous and  not necessarily logical, I imagine it's difficult to prove rationally with 100% accuracy. I've struggled with it my entire life, and now that I'm much older, I've learned how to cope with it much better. I meditate a lot, enjoy spending time alone or with animals and have become much better with putting up boundaries- not always to keep other people's emotions/energy out, but to also keep mine in.... and learning how to not be so available to people that drain me. I definitely still find it challenging to deal with, but it's improved a great deal. The key, I think in dealing with it is to be as mindful as possible of what you're thinking and how you're feeling and noticing how that shifts when you enter other environments or come around various people. In my experience, this is the best way to determine what belongs to you and what belongs to someone else. I know some people will say that everyone deals with things like that, and that's absolutely true- but for an empath, it is to an exaggerated degree and can be debilitating and extreme. I'm not mentally ill and I do not and will not take drugs- I think the over prescribing of drugs is an epidemic frankly. Ironically, I've found the best way of handling/balancing it- is through logical, rational reasoning. If I get a pull to help someone and am overwhelmed by their emotional state/ needs, etc- I do the math and detach or 'unplug' and calculate response+action=?. If the answer is to my ultimate detriment, I put up that wall. Survival 101. It is much easier said than done, especially when it's someone you are attached to and care for deeply. Saying no or not making yourself available to anyone in need that is suffering, is extremely difficult... like, with an addict type as just an example. I have to ask myself, 'Is this action hurting or helping (me and the other person)?' It's a life time of disciplined practice. Ok, sorry- I babbled on long enough. Regardless- I would be very interested in participating in an actual scientific study where results can be measured. It would give me some peace of mind I think. To me, it's been more of a hindrance than a help until more recent years- and that's only because I'm better at controlling it.

Edited by xkp