Photo
- - - - -

which occurs first lightning or thunder?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 EdEarl

EdEarl

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:38 AM

They are?

Apparently my info was wrong.

stackexchange

When the atom absorbs a photon, the electron jumps from let's say for example from the 2s to a 3p orbital, the electron is not in any orbital during that time. Its wave function can be written as a time-varying mix of the normal orbitals. A long time before the absorption, which for an atom is a few femtoseconds or so, this mix is 100% of the 2s state, and a few femtoseconds or so after the absorption, it's 100% the 3p state. Between, during the absorption process, it's a mix of many orbitals with wildly changing coefficients. There was a paper in Physical Review A back around 1980 or 1981, iirc, that shows some plots and pictures and went into this in some detail. Maybe it was Reviews of Modern Physics. Anyway, keep in mind that this mixture is just a mathematical description. What we really have is a wavefunction changing from a steady 2s, to a wildly boinging-about wobblemess, settling to a steady 3p.

This makes more sense, ty.

Edited by EdEarl, 12 January 2017 - 12:40 AM.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. -- Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama.

Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation. -- Edward R. Murrow

If there is a god, he is addicted to dice.

#42 DrP

DrP

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 1,745 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 January 2017 - 10:56 AM

I gave you +2 there for that Ed. ;-)

"Tonight I am going to party like it's on sale for $19.99"! - Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

#43 EdEarl

EdEarl

Primate

• Senior Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 12 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

ty. I try, but am not an expert; thus, must fess up to errors.

Edited by EdEarl, 12 January 2017 - 11:32 AM.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. -- Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama.

Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation. -- Edward R. Murrow

If there is a god, he is addicted to dice.

#44 swansont

swansont

Evil Liar (or so I'm told)

• Moderators
  • 35,739 posts
  • LocationWashington DC region

Posted 12 January 2017 - 12:00 PM

ty. I try, but am not an expert; thus, must fess up to errors.

In addition you checked it out, posted good information (including a pointer to the research) and updated your understanding. Which is in sharp contrast (unfortunately) to some discussions we have around here.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum          To go to the fortress of ultimate darkness, click the up arrow ^

I am not a minimum-wage government shill.             Forget it, Jake — it's Crackpottown.

My SFN blog: Swans on Tea                                                           

#45 Mordred

Mordred

Resident Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

lol even the best experts can make foolish mistakes.
http://www.einsteins.../LightCone.html
http://cosmology101.wikidot.com/main
http://cosmocalc.wikidot.com/start
If you wish to change the rules, you must first understand the rules.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users