• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DrKrettin

DrKrettin

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

Have you ever noticed that real-life situations rarely conform to maths learned at school and university? So here I am, Christmas morning, and instructed to do something useful. So I get the task of rolling lengths of bacon round dates, each one forming a cylinder length 4 cm and diameter 2.5 cms. I am told to put them all into a baking dish which is elliptical, a=10cm, b=6cm  (half-major axes) and get as many as possible in, on their sides. So the mathematical task is to fit rectangles 4 x 2.5 into that ellipse, and get the maximum number in. There of course is the inevitable "discussion" that a different way of arranging them would fit more in, but I claim there is no analytical way of doing it. Any idea what the maximum number is? 

κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα / μναμοσύνα σέθεν /  ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον· οὐ / γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων / τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας· 

#2 Strange

Strange

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 11,603 posts
  • Location珈琲店

Posted 25 December 2016 - 01:44 PM

Sounds like it might be an NP complete problem. Tell people they may have to wait an exponential amount of time.

#3 Sriman Dutta

Sriman Dutta

Molecule

• Senior Members
  • 430 posts
  • LocationKolkata, India

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

Since it is a real life situation and not an exact maths, you can first find the area of the elliptical plate, approximate it to the immediate lower number and divide it by the area of each rectangle.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence is then not an act but a habit.
-Aristotle

#4 geordief

geordief

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 03:54 PM

A roll on the hand is worth two in the elliptical plate -as does a date in time.

Bacon in Spain? Needs must I suppose ;)

Edited by geordief, 25 December 2016 - 03:57 PM.

#5 imatfaal

imatfaal

lazy do-nothing mudslinger

• Moderators
  • 7,230 posts
  • LocationSt James's Park

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:09 PM

If you got 18 I would be impressed - if you got 19 in you were cheating and squeezing them in. 

I very much doubt it is  NP complete; it does not smell as if it would reduce to the other NP-C problems.  And even if it were it would not necessarily be solvable in exponential time (if all NP-C needed exponential time then P would definintely not equal NP and I would claim my million pounds).

I reckon 13 or 14 ish...  Whilst the rest of the family dozes off the vast amount of food I prepared earlier we are a pigs in blankets rather than devils on horseback sort of family :-) - I might do a bit of modeling to see if I can get past a dozen

A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again.

- Alexander Pope

feel free to click the green arrow  ---->

#6 wtf

wtf

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

Bacon and dates? Is this a thing?

#7 Strange

Strange

SuperNerd

• Senior Members
  • 11,603 posts
  • Location珈琲店

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:11 PM

That occurred to me, but I thought it would be off-topic to ask... :)

#8 geordief

geordief

Protist

• Senior Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

That occurred to me, but I thought it would be off-topic to ask... :-)

Dr Krettin is clearly jarred . It must have been Baked   Date Rolls  

http://eggless-desse...m/dateroll.html

Edited by geordief, 26 December 2016 - 12:36 AM.

#9 DrKrettin

DrKrettin

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 09:22 AM

I stress that I was only following orders, and if there is one thing I've learned in life, that is that you don't question the cook on Christmas Day morning, especially when she's holding a rather large knife. In fact, these things come roasted together with the turkey, and are delicious, adding flavour to the turkey meat which can be a bit bland.

Anyway, I fitted 15 into the bowl, which led to disapproval because it meant that it was impossible to divide them equally. But I survived.

(Edit: Well, I could have shot one guest or invited another, giving us 5 or 3 each, but that seems a little drastic.)

we are a pigs in blankets rather than devils on horseback sort of family :-) - I might do a bit of modeling to see if I can get past a dozen

You are quite right, I've just been informed that they are devils on horseback. There is just one left out of the 15 - that's all I'll need today.

Edited by DrKrettin, 26 December 2016 - 09:34 AM.

κατθάνοισα δὲ κείσῃ οὐδέ ποτα / μναμοσύνα σέθεν /  ἔσσετ' οὐδὲ †ποκ'†ὔστερον· οὐ / γὰρ πεδέχῃς βρόδων / τῶν ἐκ Πιερίας· 

#10 HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy

Baryon

• Senior Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hey, bacon wrapped around anything is a 'thing'!

#11 John Cuthber

John Cuthber

Chemistry Expert

• Resident Experts
  • 13,453 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:28 PM

Bacon wrapped round nothing is still a thing.

How does one mathematically model the squashyness of bacon wrapped dates.

What's this signature thingy then? Did you know Santa only brings presents to people who click the + sign? -->

#12 DrKrettin

DrKrettin

Atom

• Senior Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

How does one mathematically model the squashyness of bacon wrapped dates.

There must be a special branch of maths - Squashiness Theory. Although I managed to fit 15 into the bowl, some kind of squashiness was involved, but no brute force.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users