We could be ''Knowing by heart'', scientists say

Refaat.aitta

We had a thread on this recently - there is no thinking done by the heart. The link doesn't give any evidence for it, it just says that some experiments were done (without explaining them) and then concludes that their 'might' or 'could' be something to the expression.... which probably means there isn't. The heart is a pump for blood. The thinking is done with the brain.

What do you think?

you didnot read carefully,details about experiments were given,

''This year a study published in Journal of Experimental Psychology titled ‘’ Knowing by heart: Visceral feedback shapes recognition memory judgments.’’ In the study the scientists showed the participants arbitrary pictures of people and they used to repeat some pictures from time to time and being asked whether they have seen such faces before or no. The interesting part is the participants used to decide whether the face was repeated or not based on their heartbeat. In other words, the participants could say that a face is familiar just because their heart is beating in a certain way although the picture is shown for the first time, and they could also say that the face is not familiar although it has been repeated based on their heart beat.''

In addition, here is an article in scientific american discussing human psychology beyond the brain

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-neuroscience-of-heart/

We had a thread on this recently - there is no thinking done by the heart. The link doesn't give any evidence for it, it just says that some experiments were done (without explaining them) and then concludes that their 'might' or 'could' be something to the expression.... which probably means there isn't. The heart is a pump for blood. The thinking is done with the brain.

What do you think?

My heart tells me you are right

Refaat - I did read it. I read that paragraph you quoted and still hold the same view. Just because people reacted differently to seeing pics of people whose hearts are beating similarly or differently is no indication that the heart thinks.... maybe we do pick up on things that others are feeling... but the info processed to make that decision is made in the brain.

As for 'feelings' in other parts of the body - well, these feelings are caused by messages sent to those body parts from.... guess where.... the brain!

PS - just a further thought - I think people are caught up with semantics here. There is also 'muscular memory'. This doesn't mean that muscles remember or think - it means the neural pathways from repeating a singular or a combined muscular movement over and over and over again have been burned into place by being written over and reformed so many times it becomes 'second nature' or 'instinct'. I think this is the same and is what is meant by 'knowing by heart'.

So: by 'knowing by heart' a poem or a book or a speech - it just means that you have gone over it so many times that the neural pathways in the BRAIN have been so well trodden that you don't really have to work very hard to recite it. The info isn't actually stored in the heart.

RE Pain: You are right, the brain doesn't 'feel' the pain, my hand does (if my hand is injured). This is not my hand thinking though is it. It is the nerve endings in my hand sending a message to my brain, where all the info is processed and sorted. The actual thinking is done in the brain.

Edited by DrP

in my view consciousness is not just about calculation

neurons only process information but there are other features of consciousness that don't just depend on calculation. Roger Penrose wrote two huge books arguing for quantum nature of consciousness based on this noncomputable side of consciousness, arguing mainly from the undecidable problems like the incompleteness theorems of Godel, even Ed witten recently claimed that science can never crack consciousness

Pain is not a thought, pain is some sort of a physical phenomena and of course it is a feature of consciousness, our awareness is not just a calculation in the brain, when we are aware of something or feel something we don't just calculate like a computer

The experiment shows that the response can be measure from the heartbeat. People can have sexual responses to visual cues, too. Does that mean that thinking is done with one's naughty bits?

Or is it possible that one's response to visual cues includes signals sent to various parts of the body?

The experiment shows that the response can be measure from the heartbeat. People can have sexual responses to visual cues, too. Does that mean that thinking is done with one's naughty bits?

No that is not the idea, the participants decided whether or not they remember a face based on their heartbeat not their memory. the information ''originally'' arose from the heart not the brain.

I agree with Fuzzwood, this article appears to reference essentially a physical response or reaction to a perceptual experience that originates from visual stimuli. Empirically, visual stimuli enters the brain via the optic nerve through a direct neural connection that does not include the heart. The heart does not directly or indirectly receive visual sensory; therefore, the "visceral feedback" or heartrate response to visual stimuli can only originate from brain function. Increases and decreases in heartrate responses to visual stimuli are indicative of what is happening in the brain rather than some thought or perceptual process of the heart. However, "visceral feedback" may also have another source that actually involves the viscera. It's called the enteric nervous system and is sometimes called the "second brain" as this more recent "Do Gut Feelings Actually Exist?" DNews video also discusses.

Edited by DrmDoc

No that is not the idea, the participants decided whether or not they remember a face based on their heartbeat not their memory. the information ''originally'' arose from the heart not the brain.

You can't conclude that the information came from the heart, since you haven't eliminated the pathway whereby the brain is sending signals to the heart. So vision—recognition—subconscious/involuntary impulse—changed heartbeat hasn't been excluded. The heartbeat is a proxy for the memory, not independent of it.

It's still the same as recognition of attractiveness by whether or not a man gets an erection. The brain hasn't been bypassed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.