Popular pseudoscience going around these days and people who believe in it!!

nec209

How do you disprove people who believe in these pseudoscience stuff?

Scientists Discovered Message from God in Human DNA Code!!

Humans with Superpowers!!

Some of my coworkers are starting to believe some of these pseudoscience. I normaily say if it does not make big news like CNN and only on youtube or a web site it is pseudoscience.

If that stuff had any merit, it wouldn't be posted on Facebook and YouTube. It would be announced on the evening news for a week straight, and have movies made about it. The discoverers would be instant celebrities and be on every talk show there is.

Edited by Daecon

I am not sure if you can really disprove these things to the content of 'beleivers'. What we need to do is make sure that the idea of scientific evidence is taught at schools from an early age. This should also carry over to history and geography, where the notion of evidence is also needed. Eventually we may have a more balanced society that does not take everything on faith.

The problem with this is that the religous people will not like the teachers telling the childeren to look for evidence for all claims.

These peoples' belief did not arise from logic and evidence, so they aren't generally going to be swayed by either form of argument. In fact, a common result is that their belief will strengthen when presented with a factual counter-argument, since they view it as an attack.

I think a lot of problem with science is that it's presented to the public as a belief system in many cases. This is largely the result of the failure of the educational system. As a belief system it does not provide the solace and comfort of a religion and it denies the existence of an original cause making it difficult to comprehend.

Largely these are metaphysical and education of metaphysics problems. People are told things are "settled science" that are obviously not and are presented a view of reality that is inconsistent with their experience. I'm not sure supplanting a belief in "God" with a believe in "science" is necessarily a good thing and it is no doubt a bad thing for some individuals.

If you want the crazy ideas to disappear then fix education but this will need to include fixing the way science is taught especially in the lower grades.

If you want the crazy ideas to disappear then fix education but this will need to include fixing the way science is taught especially in the lower grades.

I agree, We need to teach more about the philosophy of science as well as the science itself.

Some of my coworkers are starting to believe some of these pseudoscience. I normaily say if it does not make big news like CNN and only on youtube or a web site it is pseudoscience.

Yay and post it here as well like today's post 42 in this old (2005) thread

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/8139-momentum-vs-work/page-3

Update

Thank you to swansont for dealing with this one.

The post referred can now be found here; post42 no longer exists as above.

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/94932-necro-hijack-from-momentum-vs-work/

Edited by studiot