What can you put in 4 KB (4096 bytes) data?

Sensei

If you're wondering what,

you can see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCHX8QU3cLI

Intros like this, are highly compressed. The first loader is called, which is decompressing the real intro code. Then executed.

Typically code is generating procedural fractals, and procedural textures, which are used to generate 3D image.

Best Regards!

Well let's see, John.

You're English and probably close to my age.

I'm gonna guess a Sinclair ZX-80 or ZX-81 built from a kit.

( or was it an Acorn Atom ? )

My first was a ZX-81 kit in 1980, after using the university's Burrows B6700 mainframe, Wang mini, Apple II and, in my thesis later on, a TRS-80 model I with 4K of memory

Yep; a ZX81

Of the 1k of memory you had to allow for something like 300 bytes used by the screen.

I guess I must be a little younger (I was born Dec 1956) than you since I had access to a whopping 128K of space when I was typing up university reports.

amstrad CPC6128.

The first thing I ever programmed was a TRS80- at school in 1978 I think.

in those days, compact code was the important thing and, at a pinch, you had to write in machine code to do it (the machines were also something like 10,000 times slower than today's).
http://dilbert.com/strip/1992-09-08

My first experience with a computer was an IBM 1620. It was a decimal machine, with 60,000 digits of core (magnetic torus) 20 micro second memory; circuits were made with germanium transistors. It had an IBM typewriter and big card reader for input, the typewriter and card punch for output. A disk that sprung a leak once and flooded the computer room floor with hydraulic fluid. It compiled Fortran and was really good machine to learn on, but odd by today's standards.

Did anyone at least watch the two videos of 4 kilobyte demos I posted? I like going off-topic too... :)

What you posted the first, is what I showed in my thread initally.

I just noticed that my link author has been banned/closed YT channel...

Second your link is also beautiful example of work.

Sometimes it looks like greeble and nurnie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeble

to generate detail geometry.

Did anyone at least watch the two videos of 4 kilobyte demos I posted? I like going off-topic too... :)

I watched the second and third. IDK what 4KB has to do with those demos, one frame of 480x640 monochrome is 307,200 pixels. With 256 gray scales (1 byte) that would be 307,200 bytes. Those videos were 1080p resolution color; thus, needed way more pixels per frame.

I watched the second and third. IDK what 4KB has to do with those demos, one frame of 480x640 monochrome is 307,200 pixels. With 256 gray scales (1 byte) that would be 307,200 bytes. Those videos were 1080p resolution color; thus, needed way more pixels per frame.

4 KB is size of file on disk.

After decompression by loader, it's dozen of KB.

The better compression algorithm in loader, the more can be stored.

Then decompressed code is executed to generate procedural textures, procedural geometry, etc.

Memory used during execution of code, is meaningless in this.

Those videos are generated by the demo software, which is 4 kb. It's all done with a single 4 kb executable file. There's some compression involved, but that will only get you so far. The demos generate everything. The textures, 3D objects, animation sequence, the music, etc. That's why they're impressive.

Edited by Thorham

• 1 month later...

I also put text data in NotePad, but such compression is great!

It's not compression. The software generates the data. When you decompress the 4kb executable it'll only become a few times larger.

• 4 weeks later...