Would it be possible

Guest BelariathsSage

Guest BelariathsSage

Just an unusual question, but does anyone think it is currently possible, with today's modern technology, to accurately combine the genes of a human with an animal, say a wolf, to create a totally unique, new species of creature, with the attributes of both species? In this case, added strength, problem solving skills, the unique appearance of a wolf, as well as the added benefit of the increased senses? Just a question, but a damn good one, don't you think?

Guest BelariathsSage

Maybe, just maybe, I might be able to help them. I have all kinds of theories on this sort of thing, but...Nobody wants to break those "ethic" things. So, who is the company, and how do I get ahold of them, because very soon, I think we might have a brand new species on our hands.

Originally posted by BelariathsSage

Maybe, just maybe, I might be able to help them. I have all kinds of theories on this sort of thing, but...Nobody wants to break those "ethic" things. So, who is the company, and how do I get ahold of them, because very soon, I think we might have a brand new species on our hands.

I feel ya man, who gives a shit about ethics?

............apparently a lot of people do, personally I see nothing wrong with this type of experimentation. I'm just curious, how exactly do you plan on helping this company?

I'm very curious about this subject as well, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there on it. Seems like people would be all over this. I can see there would be some moral dilemmas using animals but, what about in plants? I know we have genetically modified foods, but for the most part they seem pretty tame. The GM foods we have out now just grow better and are resistant to pesticides correct? Where are all the apples the size of watermelons? Do you see where I'm going with this?

I'm fairly sure I know what company Fafalone is referring to but my question would be - Why? What do you need to create a new species for? Other than plants - and I'm not sure about the environmental impact they might have but at least they are developed for what are SUPPOSEDLY good reasons - I see no point. Do you have a good reason? Do tell. As to the company in question - if it's who i think it is (Human genome project, and a guy who wants to patent genes for crying out loud whose initials are C.V.) then I would ask the same question of them. How the hell could it even be legally permissible to patent something (such as a gene) that you didn't invent because it just exists anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong but patents should be about INVENTIONS - not discoveries - or am I barking up the wrong tree?:confused:

Originally posted by daisy

I'm fairly sure I know what company Fafalone is referring to but my question would be - Why? What do you need to create a new species for? Other than plants - and I'm not sure about the environmental impact they might have but at least they are developed for what are SUPPOSEDLY good reasons - I see no point. Do you have a good reason? Do tell. As to the company in question - if it's who i think it is (Human genome project, and a guy who wants to patent genes for crying out loud whose initials are C.V.) then I would ask the same question of them. How the hell could it even be legally permissible to patent something (such as a gene) that you didn't invent because it just exists anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong but patents should be about INVENTIONS - not discoveries - or am I barking up the wrong tree?:confused:

Why? Why not? The idea has enormous potential. Imagine a genetically modified chicken that is basically just two huge breast :D

BelariathsSage do a search on Craig Venter, he's the guy who owns the companies I think their talking about.

I don't think they patent the genes themselves, but rather the idea of combining genes and making a new species. I read an article about the guys that tried this (I don't know if the patent went through). They are basically just some pro-Jesus bible thumpers trying to stop scientist from playing God. I can’t stand those people.

Originally posted by daisy

I'm fairly sure I know what company Fafalone is referring to but my question would be - Why? What do you need to create a new species for?

why do people climb mountains?

why do people look for mathematical solutions that will have no use to anyone?

why do people write powtry no-on will ever read?

because they can. It is human nature.

Originally posted by BelariathsSage

Just an unusual question, but does anyone think it is currently possible, with today's modern technology, to accurately combine the genes of a human with an animal, say a wolf, to create a totally unique, new species of creature, with the attributes of both species? In this case, added strength, problem solving skills, the unique appearance of a wolf, as well as the added benefit of the increased senses? Just a question, but a damn good one, don't you think?

remember that genes code for nothing more than proteins.

• 1 year later...

Yes and no. It is possible to use traits from one species in another, but to merge the two is almost impossible. Each animal has evolved to its own particular physiology, so transplanting one trait to another animal probably wouldn't work.

why do people climb mountains?

why do people look for mathematical solutions that will have no use to anyone?

why do people write powtry no-on will ever read?

because they can. It is human nature.

It is not necessarily because they can, but because they want to, mainly for self-benefiting purposes.

If somone knew they could kill themself, would they do it? They would only kill themself if it benefited them in some way.

It is not necessarily because they can' date=' but because they want to, mainly for self-benefiting purposes.

[/quote']

I think the point was that there are no obvious self benefiting purposes to climbing a mountain, writing poetry no one will ever read or looking for obscure mathematical solutions.

Yet people do these things anyway.

Its already been done,along time ago.We even gave them a name, a Lycanthrope.However the manufacture of silver bullets saw a decrease in numbers.They retreated from public view to such a degree,that they have now become shrouded in the mists of folklore. :P

yeah, and Spider-Man, Santa Clause, and the Easter Bunny are all real too. See what happens when you mess with crossing genes? Maybe we'll get a new holiday, and it'll have a milk-producing palm tree with tiger stripes and a mane as a symbol.Bad idea.

LOL!!!! As a Spider-Man fan, I find this reference funny. Spider-Man comics are full of this sort of topic with characters like The Lizard, a half-man, half-lizard villain.

Seriously though, I fail to see how this sort of thing is possible or even necessary.

All of this brings up an interesting question. At least it seems interesting to me.

What if, rather than create a new species, we changed an existing species to the point that it was educable? Suppose we changed the genes around in a chimp until it was smart enough to know the difference between itself and us, and was even able to communicate with us? And further, suppose it understood that we were conducting experiments on it and others just like it and it told us that it didn't want to be experimented on?

What kind of ethical delimma would that present to us?

It doesn't seem right to conduct medical experiments on anything that was pleading with us not to do so.

Which brings up another question.

If we could alter the genes in an animal to the point that it was able to plead for it's life, would it be ethical for us not to do so?

If a cat, for example, was used in medical experiments, and we justified that by saying that, after all, the cat doesn't even know that it is a cat, but all the time we had it in our power to make the cat smart enough to be self aware and even communicate with us somehow and try to get us to stop, would it be ethical to withold that from the poor old cat?

Suppose we changed the genes around in a chimp until it was smart enough to know the difference between itself and us, and was even able to communicate with us?

Chimps can do both of those without genetic modifications, so you'll only need a third of that research budget ;)

Chimps can do both of those without genetic modifications, so you'll only need a third of that research budget ;)

I understand that chimps have been able to communicate their immediate needs to a human--at least if what I saw on TV is true, but I am referring to an animal (not necessarily a chimp) who was so altered that it could conceptualize it's position in the world and realized that it was going to be put to the knife, or injected with chemicals just to see what would happen and that it desperately didn't want that to happen.

At what point would we be ethically in trouble if we........

A) continued these experiments on altered animals who knew what was happening and wanted no part of it, or....

B) We didn't alter the intelligence of the animal for the purpose of being able to conduct experiments on it without hearing these cries for mercy?

Now, by "cries for mercy" I don't mean spoken in English, but through whatever means that an intellectually altered animal used to communicate with humans.

What if Tiny woke up one morning and suddenly acted nice to Cadmus,and stopped disrupting other threads just because he was in a mood.Oh my god,could you imagine that?

What if someone were to stop being sarcastic, and just defend Cadmus (?!?) with dignity?! :P

I've only read a few posts (short on time), anyway, would you mind sharing some of your secret theories on chimeras? Not to bring anyone down here, but I dont see any purpose other than experimental to make a chimera... Plants on the other hand, I see practicality! Bioremediation could be a large factor in the hybridization across the range of plants.