Sars

Dave

as someone said "an outbreak is less terrifying than a coverup"

My Girlfriend is chinese, and understandably, she is really worried about her family over there. With China itself, I think it is very difficult to disentangle the rate of spreading with the rate at which they let out cases which they forgot to talk about... furthermore, many of the chinese people aren't taking it seriously enough because of the Government cover up.

Potentially though, it could become a very serious disease indeed, and I really hope that the authorities act quicky and decisively now, to stamp it out.

Everyone here who lives in the states, what do you think about the SARS epidemic. Do you think it is something we need to take seriously, or think of as just a major problem in Asia. Also do you think we will be able to find any medication to reduce the effect and not make it deadly.??

<threads merged... Radical Edward>

sounds like a cunning plan. china infects toronto with a disease, and then millions of chinese pour through tunnels that they have built underneath their worldwide network of chinese takeaways - does anyone see the chinese who work in takeaways duting the daytime? no - it's because they are underground digging.

On a more serious note, do you think that there will be any new anti biotics, or medications that will help supress the disease, or make recovery faster, to eliminate the possibly deadly effects of the SARS virus?

I know that death is not very common, and that the number of deaths in China, could be in large to the third world nature of the country, however i dont see quarantine as an effective way to eliminate the disease, and i believe that even here in the states it would be potentially deadly, albeit in much smaller numbers.

the ratio of deaths in China is actually smaller than in canada, so it isn't due to the "third world nature" as you put it, This is even more true when one looks at Hong Kong, where the number of deaths is just as high. Hong Kong clearly isn't third world. The main issue in China has been a political one, where there has been a Government coverup of what was going on.

Antibiotics will have absolutely no effect, since it is a virus causing SARS, though it could stop secondary infections. I haven't heard of any of these though. producing a vaccine or drug to stop it though will take time.

The US has a potentially massive problem if it got into the country, as a result of the huge amount of air travel and higly populated civilian centres like New York. if it got into one of these areas, it would probably spread like wildfire, requiring harsh government intervention. It would be far better, and far easier to just monitor areas where it could get in.

If anything one of my beliefs about this SARS deseas is that it was brought on by the Chinese Governmet to reduce population and at the same time they didnt give a fuck if the rest of the world had some. After all now that I think of it aids sounds like it was brought under similar motives.

If SARS was caused intentionally to reduce the population, then the people in charge of the operation must be absolute morons.

2000 people out of a billion is negligible. Off the top of my head I can think of about 100 faster and more effective ways to reduce the population in China without damaging the infrastructure or economy.

You have a good reply its just hard for me at times to not relate anything that has to do with lessening their popultion with doing it intentionally. For instance if they went to war tommorrow I would say it was either for land or to lower population. After all their isnt enough bullets in he world to kill off the chinese army.

Originally posted by Sayonara³

If SARS was caused intentionally to reduce the population, then the people in charge of the operation must be absolute morons.

Yep, SARS only has a 10% mortality (principally among the very young, the very old and the already ill), and moreover, it's mutating rapidly. Infected individuals have been found with two different strains of the SARS corona virus 'on board'. Anybody releasing such an unstable virus, with a view to 'thinning' the population would have to be as mad as a badger.

• 1 month later...
Guest zingmatter

The main thing about SARS is that it is mostly a media-inspired panic - sells papers to predict the likely desruction of the human race, even if it isn't true.

Yes SARS is fairly (but not very) contageous (unlike a strain of influenze virus that killed 20 million people after the 1st world war). The WHO and various goverments were right to quarentine large nuymbers of people and I'm not saying it was something to be ignored

One last thing to bear in mind - there's prehaps been globally less than 2000 deaths from SARS since it was identified. Every day 3000 people die of malaria...

...well it makes you think

• 2 weeks later...