Astrology (split from is astrology pseudoscience)

sunshaker

I think the term ASTROLOGY as been polluted by modern horoscopes which I have no time for,

One astronomical phenomena that comes to mind is the star of Bethlehem(super nova?) This event played a big part in the christian world.

We do not yet understand our universe enough to yet say that Astrology plays no part in human events, We know the sun does.

Planets/stars emit fields of energies which bombard earth everyday, do these effect us in ways we yet do not understand or have forgotten?

Astrology as played a large role in shaping humanity. It should not be dismissed now because we think we have all the answers.

Planets/stars emit fields of energies which bombard earth everyday, do these effect us in ways we yet do not understand or have forgotten?

This is 'space weather' and this is something we are just beginning to understand. The position of the planets and stars on your exact birthday will not effect the rest of our life. Or at least today there is no evidence that it does.

This is 'space weather' and this is something we are just beginning to understand. The position of the planets and stars on your exact birthday will not effect the rest of our life. Or at least today there is no evidence that it does.

There is no evidence as far as I know whether a fetus may be effected by planets, but they do have a gravitational effect on earth, Maybe if you where born when one of these planets/alignments was at its highest gravitational effect on earth it would have some effect on a fetus?

There is no evidence as far as I know whether a fetus may be effected by planets, but they do have a gravitational effect on earth, Maybe if you where born when one of these planets/alignments was at its highest gravitational effect on earth it would have some effect on a fetus?

Make a quick calculation to show the magnitude of the forces involved.

One astronomical phenomena that comes to mind is the star of Bethlehem(super nova?) This event played a big part in the christian world.

Do you realise that there's no reason to believe there was a star of Bethlehem?

And, just to save anyone repeating the calculation, the midwife has a bigger gravitation affect on a newborn baby than any distant star has.

Do you realise that there's no reason to believe there was a star of Bethlehem?

And, just to save anyone repeating the calculation, the midwife has a bigger gravitation affect on a newborn baby than any distant star has.

I admit the star of Bethlehem is open to question, but a bright star was recorded in other areas of the world in about 3-4bc.

Also unsure about the gravitational effect from distant stars, but there are thoughts about gravitational effects of planets upon earth, If they effect earth surely they effect life upon earth. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1997/12/971218090305.htm

Also we do not yet really understand gravity, more so at the quantum levels, Take the graviton,

the graviton is expected to be massless (because the gravitational force appears to have unlimited range)

So perhaps gravity/gravitons from planets/stars have more effect upon us than we realize at the quantum levels, Until we know more I am open to these possibilities.

But like I said astrology as been polluted by modern horoscopes, which as turned astrology into the "crackpot domain".

Also unsure about the gravitational effect from distant stars, but there are thoughts about gravitational effects of planets upon earth, If they effect earth surely they effect life upon earth. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1997/12/971218090305.htm

Also we do not yet really understand gravity, more so at the quantum levels, Take the graviton,

So perhaps gravity/gravitons from planets/stars have more effect upon us than we realize at the quantum levels, Until we know more I am open to these possibilities.

But like I said astrology as been polluted by modern horoscopes, which as turned astrology into the "crackpot domain".

There's nothing there to "pollute". It started out as crackpottery.

If there was a real effect on people's health then it would be physics or medicine.

But no effect has ever been seen.

There's no point invoking quantum gravity to explain something which doesn't exist.

!

Moderator Note

Split from http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/87853-is-astrology-really-a-pseudoscience-yes/ because I SPECIFICALLY SAID TO POST THIS STUFF HERE!

Yes sunshaker, I'm looking at you. No, don't respond to this.

New knowledge at the quantum level is not going to change any classical results. That's not how it works.

Further, it doesn't matter if Jupiter's gravity can, when added up over thousands or millions of years, affect our orbit. For that to be the mechanism for astrology, there would have to be large variations from one day to the next. Otherwise it simple affects us all by the basically same amount, and since it's smaller that the effect of the midwife, etc., it can't possibly be a mechanism.

The only value astrology has, apart from its entertainment value, was the observations made by ancient astrologers (as a protoscience) that provided a foundation for astronomy, like alchemy did for chemistry. However since astrology is based on the idea that the Earth is at the center of the Universe it does not have any credibility as a means of explaining anything.

The only value astrology has, apart from its entertainment value, was the observations made by ancient astrologers (as a protoscience) that provided a foundation for astronomy, like alchemy did for chemistry. However since astrology is based on the idea that the Earth is at the center of the Universe it does not have any credibility as a means of explaining anything.

Astrology was about finding "meaning" in the sky/stars, Geocentric or Heliocentric the stars/planets where still in the same place in the sky at the same time.

I know about 12 years ago when Mars was nearest to earth in thousands of years(Geocentric or Heliocentric still nearest),

It seemed to have an effect upon me, everywhere i looked seemed to have a red tint, I felt different/strange, the bread i put out for the birds seemed to get infected by a red bacteria(never happened since), You could say this was my imagination but this short period in time changed me forever,.

Modern man may think we know it all now, But I believe there is much we have also lost.

Or do you mean that astrology worked in the past but has been corrupted by modern horoscopes ?

Maybe we should re-visit human sacrifice to affect harvests also ?

Can you blame ancients for human sacrifices? After battles where the dead had died the ancients found this ground to be fertile, Due to blood acting has fertilizer, So this led them to believe a blood offering would bring them good harvests.

As for modern astrology, most of us are reading the wrong stars signs, I am Ophiuchus dec 6, http://news.discovery.com/space/astronomy/your-star-sign-just-got-rumbled.htm

Astrology was about finding "meaning" in the sky/stars, Geocentric or Heliocentric the stars/planets where still in the same place in the sky at the same time.

I know about 12 years ago when Mars was nearest to earth in thousands of years(Geocentric or Heliocentric still nearest),

It seemed to have an effect upon me, everywhere i looked seemed to have a red tint, I felt different/strange, the bread i put out for the birds seemed to get infected by a red bacteria(never happened since), You could say this was my imagination but this short period in time changed me forever,.

It was your imagination.

It was your imagination.

Perhaps it was(is), some kind of imbalance in my brain, it was a strange time for me(scarey), I only found out mars was nearer than it had been for thousands of years after searching for "red" bacteria/mist.

I know my brain works different to most, in winter trees are not leafless to me, my brain fills in the leafs, at night from my bed I see green mist around trees quite often with shinning lights mixed in.

I do see things that are "impossible", It is one of the reasons I love science, trying to understand what and why I see these things.

It can lead to interesting times for me, I have to hide what I am seeing from those around me, I seem to live between two realities.

Perhaps it was(is), some kind of imbalance in my brain, it was a strange time for me(scarey), I only found out mars was nearer than it had been for thousands of years after searching for "red" bacteria/mist.

I know my brain works different to most, in winter trees are not leafless to me, my brain fills in the leafs, at night from my bed I see green mist around trees quite often with shinning lights mixed in.

I do see things that are "impossible", It is one of the reasons I love science, trying to understand what and why I see these things.

It can lead to interesting times for me, I have to hide what I am seeing from those around me, I seem to live between two realities.

You should probably get yourself booked in for a brain scan, that sounds serious. :mellow:

Modern man may think we know it all now,

Modern man has made no such claim. The fact that we don't know it all and never will is the reason science exists in the first place.

Edited by Mad For Science