Why high school physics is so boring?

Rajnish Kaushik

We know that there are lot of new inventions in physics so why are we still learning the old thing not mesons and quacks?

Most schools and school subjects are boring. This is not just for this one class or subject. A lot of times schools use outdated textbooks and outdated methods of teaching. A lot of schools simply give kids a book and say read this and you better pass the quiz on Friday. Now there is better ways that have been proven to make material stick better but a lot of schools still never use such methods. There is a way to teach where a child is engaged, enjoys the material and the material sticks but a lot of schools do not know how to do this and so children struggle trying to pay attention and trying to understand and pass. I also believe it helps if someone teaching actually does something with the subject rather than just attempting to teach it. If a novelist decides to become a teacher he is often going to teach better than an ordinary English teacher. Some of the best teachers I know have had jobs in the subject before they decided to later pursue teaching. I believe experience helps a lot.

Most schools and school subjects are boring. This is not just for this one class or subject. A lot of times schools use outdated textbooks and outdated methods of teaching. A lot of schools simply give kids a book and say read this and you better pass the quiz on Friday. Now there is better ways that have been proven to make material stick better but a lot of schools still never use such methods. There is a way to teach where a child is engaged, enjoys the material and the material sticks but a lot of schools do not know how to do this and so children struggle trying to pay attention and trying to understand and pass. I also believe it helps if someone teaching actually does something with the subject rather than just attempting to teach it. If a novelist decides to become a teacher he is often going to teach better than an ordinary English teacher. Some of the best teachers I know have had jobs in the subject before they decided to later pursue teaching. I believe experience helps a lot.

sir can u say this to indian education ministry please

so thiscan help

Education is a curse in India here teacher teach only for their result which they shows to their higher authorities . there is nothing for a student who want to learn real science like how really nature works how we can use physics in our daily life and make it more interesting .

You won't believe I m in one of the RPVVs in Delhi which are supposed to be the best government school in Delhi but the truth is some thing else .I m in 12th standard and from April 2013 to January 2014 I have given 5 times exam because our bloody department think by this they can improve their result but I is making our life a hell we can't get time to do any thing else , any thing that we r interested in .

And some one said about science fair I tell u what is the truth behind those fairs , students have to do every efforts by him self no teacher help us and school say you only have to mind on ur result those fairs are only waste of time .

Which I think is not true

Education is a curse in India here teacher teach only for their result which they shows to their higher authorities . there is nothing for a student who want to learn real science like how really nature works how we can use physics in our daily life and make it more interesting .

You won't believe I m in one of the RPVVs in Delhi which are supposed to be the best government school in Delhi but the truth is some thing else .I m in 12th standard and from April 2013 to January 2014 I have given 5 times exam because our bloody department think by this they can improve their result but I is making our life a hell we can't get time to do any thing else , any thing that we r interested in .

And some one said about science fair I tell u what is the truth behind those fairs , students have to do every efforts by him self no teacher help us and school say you only have to mind on ur result those fairs are only waste of time .

Which I think is not true

indian education sucks hope i could study in USA

What makes you think teenagers are any happier with their education in the US? The United States only ranks 17th out of 40 countries ranked in overall educational performance.

http://thelearningcurve.pearson.com/index/index-ranking

atleast its 17 but india is isnt in the list sir

and their science fairs and high school projects and other things are better then mine

You can build the cheapest particle detector for 20 dollars or so.

It's called Cloud Chamber.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Efgy1bV2aQo

And you will be able to see electrons, positrons, muons, pions, even kaon (if you have lucky). All these particles were discovered in Cloud Chamber.

There is plenty tutorials on YouTube how to build cloud chamber. Like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pewTySxfTQk

You just have to find good shop with cheap dry ice to keep it running.

Instead of just reading about them, you will be able to see them in home. If you will conduct experiment at school maybe even your teachers will learn something.. and for sure will appreciate your effort by higher grade.

so what else can i do??

if its bad then i can only complaint

Really? You have access to the greatest information system mankind has ever created -- literally orders of magnitude more information available today than even just a generation ago -- and the best you can think to do is complain?

And you obviously have access to the Internet since you are posting - a lot - on this Internet forum.

You can work on designing your own self-study curriculum. There are sites like Khan Academy for one. And a great deal of free online classes at websites like coursera. I have zero doubt there are many others, if you actually took some time to look for them.

What one gets out of education is almost wholly what one is willing to put into it. Placing the blame on not getting much out of your education on someone else is sidestepping the main person responsible: yourself.

Edited by Bignose

Do not you have electroscope? It's just $18.. Building your own, nothing (everybody has in home some aluminum foil and glass)

02e8bec307321ec1faac230dfad50392.jpg

Machine for making high voltage costs $160 (Wimshurst machine)

426ac2309b042765c25a64f12b52b468.jpg

Device for visualizing magnetic field lines? Costs $37 You can build your own using magnet and a lot of needles.

cc8c34aaaf393d3b5648995965615acd.jpg

How about laser and some diffraction material, polarization filters, lenses etc. ?

Your school really doesn't have the simplest cheapest the basics equipment?

You can order them through Internet from EU/USA/China..

Edited by Sensei

Do not you have electroscope? It's just $18.. Building your own, nothing (everybody has in home some aluminum foil and glass)

02e8bec307321ec1faac230dfad50392.jpg

Machine for making high voltage costs $160 (Wimshurst machine)

426ac2309b042765c25a64f12b52b468.jpg

Device for visualizing magnetic field lines? Costs $37 You can build your own using magnet and a lot of needles.

cc8c34aaaf393d3b5648995965615acd.jpg

How about laser and some diffraction material, polarization filters, lenses etc. ?

Your school really doesn't have the simplest cheapest the basics equipment?

You can order them through Internet from EU/USA/China..

they have none of them first i have ordered one book from school before 2 months which didnt came until now only 10$ so how will they buy them sad.pngsad.pngsad.png