Schrodinger's cat

the GardenGnome

The cat is in the bag. You can't see in the bag. You don't know if the cat is dead or alive. The conclusion is that the cat is neither dead nor alive until you open the bag and check. Same with a wave, it is only a probability until observed.

the proper experiment goes:

cat is in a box with a very small radioactive source, detector and bottle of poison. the small source is so small it is of a quantum scale and can exist in a superposition of decayed, and not decayed. should it decay, the detector can tell this, releases the poison and kills the cat. since the source can exist in a superposition, so the experiment goes, so can the cat. As blike says, it is an experiment to demonstrate the absurdity of applying quantum logic to the classical world.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Actually I believe this is a very good point to prove (or, well, show) the "Fourth Dimention is Time" point.

(open the box) *NOW* you see a cat.

(close the box) *NOW* you don't see a cat.

The point is that we don't understand and grasp TIME, we are only affected by it.

It's the same argument of "If a tree fell in themiddle of the forest with no one arround did it make a sound?" The answer is uncertain.

You can't know. You are *assuming* it did, because every tree before it did noise when it fell, but you can't know for certain.

The point of this thing is not to make you go nuts with phylosophical babble (though, hey, I like it! :P ) - its more to show you that even what we concider PROOFS today, should be taken with a degree of doubt.

Doubt everything. Yah. That's my piont.

~mooeypoo

I've only read Scrodinger's Kittens, and the experiment was more to do with light, and an observer in that book. The book suggest that light requires an observer for a photon to exist. So if you close a box with a cat inside, a photon detector, wired to a shotgun. Then put a single photon of light bouncing around inside, and never look inside the box. The light will pass through the detector, but will not be witnessed, so the shotgun should be in a ready to fire state. Does the gun go off, or does it wait for you to open the box?

Pincho.

• 1 month later...

well the tree in the forest is just stupid becuase if that is correct then the universe outside our solar system only came into existence when we started using telescopes to look out and the stars only exist becuase we look at them and when u think about it, the real experiment was about light, without light there is no object to reflect the light therefore the object doesnt exist if u cant see it type stuff, if i am wrong please correct me becuase without light nothing would exist as you cant see it? i say that schrowhoever was just interested in gambling on the results of his tests or he didnt like his cat/cats eitherway its pure stupidity to think this its just like saying "if i close my eyes you dont exist" but if i were to punch you when your eyes are closed and there are no witnesses you dam well feel the punch. :P

Deckard said in post # :

well the tree in the forest is just stupid becuase if that is correct then the universe outside our solar system only came into existence when we started using telescopes to look out and the stars only exist becuase we look at them and when u think about it, the real experiment was about light, without light there is no object to reflect the light therefore the object doesnt exist if u cant see it type stuff, if i am wrong please correct me becuase without light nothing would exist as you cant see it? i say that schrowhoever was just interested in gambling on the results of his tests or he didnt like his cat/cats eitherway its pure stupidity to think this its just like saying "if i close my eyes you dont exist" but if i were to punch you when your eyes are closed and there are no witnesses you dam well feel the punch. :P

You're confusing the philosophical position of solipsism with demonstratable quantum effects.