Great Quotes

Mike Fuller

'In departing the one who travels suffers less than the one who stays behind.'

Lord Byron ( 1788 - 1824 )

'Now there is one very important fact regarding spaceship Earth, and that is that no instruction book came with it!'

Richard B. Fuller ( 1895 - 1983 )

'The essence of science, ask an impertinent question and you are on your way to a pertinent answer.'

From 'The Ascent Of Man' ( 1973 )

J Bronowski ( 1908 - 1974 )

'It is not the fact that man does science that makes him unique, and it is not the fact that man does art that makes him unique, but equally that science and art are both wonderful expressions of man's marvellous plasticity of mind.'

From 'The Ascent Of Man'

J Bronowski ( 1908 - 1974 )

'The pursuit of the good and evil is now linked to astronomy as in almost every other area of science. The fate of our human civilization will depend on whether the rockets of the future carry on them a telescope or a hydrogen bomb!'

Bernard Lovell ( 1913 - 2012 )

'We are the result of what hydrogen atoms do given 13.7 billion years of evolution'

Carl Sagan ( 1934 - 1996 )

'A feather on the breath of God'

Hildergard von Bingen ( 1098 - 1179 )

'I shall hear in heaven'

Beethoven ( 1770 - 1827 )

'Eternal spirit of the chainless mind!'

From Sonnet 'To Chillon'

Byron ( 1788 - 1824 )

"For look you, there is humour in all things, and the truest philosophy is that which teaches us to find it everywhere."

Spoken by Jack Point from 'The Yeoman Of The Guard' ( 1888 )

WS Gilbert ( 1836 - 1911 )

'I thought that love would last forever, I was wrong.'

From 'Funeral Blues' ( 1936 )

WH Auden ( 1907 - 1973 )

'Nothing is real'

From 'Strawberry Fields Forever' ( 1967 )

John Lennon ( 1940 - 1980 )

"The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls

and tennement halls."

From 'The Sound Of Silence' ( 1964 )

P Simon ( b.1941 )

• 3 weeks later...

I am not convinced of the utility of these sorts of posts - but it is the Lounge; but please try and get the quotes correct! In your second post: one quote is just wrong, another has a punctuation error (and poets spend months getting the punctuation just so) and a third has a spelling mistake - those are from a cursory glance, there may be more.

• 2 years later...

I am not convinced of the utility of these sorts of posts - but it is the Lounge; but please try and get the quotes correct! In your second post: one quote is just wrong, another has a punctuation error (and poets spend months getting the punctuation just so) and a third has a spelling mistake - those are from a cursory glance, there may be more.

Why don't you being a supposedly far more intelligent person, grow up! and have at least a basic level of charity and tolerance for someone with learning difficulties like me! I failed all my GCE's at school, my highest grade being a GCE D in English Literature, I failed GCE English with a D from Collage when I was 24, too! I have had my I.Q. tested by a member of staff at a training scheme to be an average 104. So I am not a boffin at science like you!

I have come on the this 'Science Forum' site to have fun and enjoy people's far more able minds than myself!

Mike Fuller

I am NOT a Poet!

I am NOT a Writer!

I am NOT an Artist!

I am NOT a Mathematician!

I am NOT a Physicist!

I am NOT an Intellectual!

I am NOT a Bibliophile!

I am Quite Knowledgeable though.

SORRY! If I seem stern with you!

With Best Wishes!!!

Cheers - Mike

• 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We could live at the present day without a Plato, but a double number of Newtons is required to discover the secrets of nature, and to bring life into harmony with the laws of nature.

Dimitri Mendeljev