Canon Pixma MP160 working on my nerves..

Function

Hi everyone

I have a Canon Pixma MP160 3 in 1 printer, and it is about to get me mentally disturbed:

since yesterday, the paper won't come through (only a small corner of the paper) and thus the printer gave me an E3 error (paper stuck).

Now, I discovered I had a USB-stick 'flown' in the paper container part which prevented the paper from flowing through.

So now, the paper will come through correctly. "Yay", you'd say, but nothing is less true..

The printer is.. well.. 'stuck' on the E3-mode, and I can't get it 'out' of it; I've tried the program MPTool, but this won't do anything (it recognises the printer, but won't load the information, since the printer still thinks there's paper stuck inside).

I've tried a manual reset: plug out power cable, plug back in, hold cancel button and on/off button, press cancel button 2 times, release buttons and so on.. But it won't do anything..

Now, when I turn it on, it just shifts through very slowly a sheet of paper, still giving the E3 error afterwards.

Is there anyone who could help me? (It's pretty urgent...)

Thank you very much indeed.

Function

Edited by Function

Very well.. I shall. I'll leave it unplugged for the night.

(Btw, note that there's an ink mess on the right of the inside of the printer (at the 'ink cartridge at rest side') (it's like a bomb of ink exploded in there..)

Edit:

Sad.. the problem is persistent.. Anything else?

Edited by Function

Maybe there's an optical switch that's blocked, or a contact switch that's bent or jammed open, so it's detecting paper? Or perhaps loose belt, or jammed axle or something like that, so it's detecting having a hard time moving the paper?

(Btw, note that there's an ink mess on the right of the inside of the printer (at the 'ink cartridge at rest side') (it's like a bomb of ink exploded in there..)

... and dried, possibly gumming up something that needs to move to signal that there's no more paper jam?

Remove all of the ink cartridges and give the insides a good wipe over with tissues and then try starting from scratch and loading everything up from the beginning.

After you've cleaned up all the mess (wipe the cartridges as well) goto the Start/Devices and Printers/ page and select (right click the printer) the printer Properties and run a few of the Maintenance/cleaning/head alignment options. There is also a troubleshooting option off the right click that might help.

Very well.. I shall. I'll leave it unplugged for the night.

Edit:

Sad.. the problem is persistent.. Anything else?

I'd have mentioned the ink being all over the place in the original description of the problem. All bets are off until you clean that up.