Is there a force of interaction between energy?

pritikamehra

Hi guys, I'm relatively new to this topic and website, though a thought just occurred to me. Could anyone offer any views on the idea below?

The there are so many forces between matter, and matter (mass) and energy are interchangeable/different manifestations of the same thing. So is there a force of interaction between energy?

Energy is a property of physical configurations.

An interaction is the exchange of energy and momentum (and maybe other things like spin and electric charge).

Therefore I cannot see what one would really mean by an interaction of energy.

Every energy creates gravity, and the energy parts of two objects attract an other.

So energy-momentum is the source of gravity, that is right. Gravity allows objects to exchange energy-momentum, just as the other forces do.

Hi guys, I'm relatively new to this topic and website, though a thought just occurred to me. Could anyone offer any views on the idea below?

The there are so many forces between matter, and matter (mass) and energy are interchangeable/different manifestations of the same thing. So is there a force of interaction between energy?

As much of a question as a statement...but from that perspective are not all known forces interactions between energies?

Thanks Enthalpy! The idea of energy creating gravity is quite appealing. Creating a scenario out of this; if there were two gamma rays in a vacuum deep in space, then the gravity created by their energies would cause them to interact with each other, yes?

I guess this question really is quite arbitrary and abstract, since as many of you have rightly said, a force is often just an exchange of energy.

The idea of energy creating gravity is quite appealing.

According to general relativity it is energy-momentum that acts as the sourse of gravity. This all well established physics

Creating a scenario out of this; if there were two gamma rays in a vacuum deep in space, then the gravity created by their energies would cause them to interact with each other, yes?

Yes they could interact gravitationally as photons carry energy-momentum.

I guess this question really is quite arbitrary and abstract, since as many of you have rightly said, a force is often just an exchange of energy.

Abstract we like, but what you have asked is not well-posed.

Yes, [two gamma rays in a vacuum deep in space] could interact gravitationally as photons carry energy-momentum.

That's an old interrogation I have, still unclear to me... You guessed, I hoped to explain cosmic rays as many photons of lesser energy that stick together somehow.

But: two photons travelling together would be stationary to an other, hence have no energy to an other. Or?

Hey Enthalpy, I wasn't exactly thinking of cosmic rays, honestly it was just a completely random thought/scenario I made in my head :P If we're looking into the photon motion in that much detail, then what causes the photons of one ray of light to coherently travel together? Einstein said that every observer will measure light to be travelling at the speed c. Perhaps, the photons of a particular ray of light also perceive the other photons of that same ray to be travelling at the speed c (they are not stationary relative to one another). This energy-momentum of each individual photon could be the source of gravity that allows these photons from the same ray of light to 'cluster/group' together; hence they move together in the same path?

What I'm saying could be completely wrong as I'm just hypothesizing here, but it's just a thought.