Would you kindly help me in English?

Cyrus the Great

"in the broader United States" - in this context it it merely a way of showing that the writer is referring to a group (the Native Americans) participating in things that affect the whole of the United States. That is to say that Native Americans no longer get involved only in politics which directly affects Native Americans - since the 1960s Civil Rights Movement they get involved in all politics.

"political system" - the way a nation, state, or group of people are governed and their affairs are run. We could see examples of political system as Authoritarianism / Totalitarianism (in which the government and military are very powerful and people have little representation), Monarchy (where a single figure rules normally through birth-right), and Democracy (where the populace are represented through votes and elections).

Thank you all so much, But I can not understand the following.

Could you kindly explain that?- because I am learning English-

One example of this process is the rise of participation
by Native American people in the broader United States
political system since the Civil Rights movement of the
(20) 1960's. Besides leading Native Americans to participate
more actively in politics (the number of Native American
legislative officeholders more than doubled), this movement
also evoked increased interest in tribal history and tradi-
tional culture.

Thanks in advance

(I mean could you please elaborate your explanations in details, and explain them readily(freely).

Edited by Cyrus the Great

Native Americans are a diverse group of people whose ancestors lived in the Americas before Columbus discovered the "New World." They include Eskimos, Inuits, Sioux, Cherokee, Mohawk, Pueblo and many more tribes/nations, with many cultural traditions and languages.

One example of this process is the rise of participation
by Native American people in the broader United States
political system since the Civil Rights movement of the
(20) 1960's.
It means the reds started to vote, run for office, try to influence and bribe politiicans and other governmental officials, try to produce politicians and officials from within their own communities and fellow reds, lobby for laws and regulations and various reforms at the County, City, State, and National levels (rather than just on certain Reservations), agitate and speak out in the forums and venues of those larger scale political systems, and in general push for State and National influence as members of an organized political base with its own interests.

Before, as a group they had been quiet and poor and keeping to themselves since the Indian Wars, treated badly and without representation in the large political system that was mistreating them.

Depends in which context.

The completion of the hospital took 5 years.

Completion of the new hospital was a time consuming process.

Its; Completion of an action.

'The' refers to something specific and known, 'An' is more vague when defining something.

The tiger is scary. An animal is scary.

'The tiger is scary' refers to a specific tiger; 'A tiger is scary' refers to all tigers.

'An englishman ate breakfast' refers to an unknown but single englishman whereas 'The englishman ate breakfast' refers to a known specific englishman but 'The englishmen ate their breakfast' refers to all englishmen.

Edited by DevilSolution

You dont need the first 'the'. Its more formal without it when in writing, however sometimes it may be required.

Completion of the new hospital was a time consuming process.

Here, 'the' is needed to show that your talking specifically about that object.

For example, if you said: "Completion of new hospital was a time consuming process", i may need to ask "which new hospital?", in this context 'the' shows us were talking about the same hospital.

To explain better let me say this.

1) "A new hospital was built, completion of new hospital was a time consuming process"

2) "A new hospital was built, completion of the new hospital was a time consuming process"

In 2) we can see that your refering to the same hospital, in 1) its not clear that your specifically talking about the same new hospital you just mentioned.

The english language is confusing, 'do not' could equally be 'not do', its just convension in some cases.

Edited by DevilSolution

Thank you so much. I got what I wanted, but another question:

what is the difference between the following?

Completion of the hospital took 5 years.

In addition, Thank you so much, and what is the difference between the following?

National Park of the Virgin Islands
The national park of the Virgin Islands

Thank you so much. I got what I wanted, but another question:

what is the difference between the following?

Completion of the hospital took 5 years.

I think it depends on which context its being used, using 'The completion' puts emphasis on completion and so would be used to emphasise its complete, when you say 'Completion took 5 years' your not emphasising the completion aspect but simply stating that its complete.

To be honest im not really an expert in language.

Our walk through the forest was like a journey through an extended underground cavern. We wound through obscure passages, out into small openings or great rooms, and then Tunneled back into winding passageways.

Hi. I am learning English .Really I can not understand this part" out into..."!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could you please explain in details the meaning of" out into small openings or great rooms, and then Tunneled back into winding passageways.?"

Thanks in advance

Two other ways that can say the same thing as "Out into....":

1. They left the obscure passages to go into small openings.

2. They made an exit from the obscure passages to go into small openings.

It usually means they are leaving one place to go into another place. or going outside from a space, or room, into another.

Edited by StringJunky

Thank you all so much, but I wonder the reason why the write has written : small openings or great rooms

What is the relation between them ?????

I'm not sure how to explain it.

They went from 'inside' the cavern 'out into': Small openings or Great rooms.

A small opening is outside.

A great room is a big open space.

So they went from 'inside' the cavern out into 'open space' and also 'big rooms'.

Toward the end of the afternoon ,we followed what seemed to be a large movement of chimmpanzees into one great open room in the forest,relatively clear except for columns of nut trees.

Thank you all so much.Would you kindly tell me what does "clear except for columns of nut trees." mean here?

Could you possibly give me a synonym for follow as regard the text?

Thanks in advance