Why don't we feel like we are hanging backwards on earth??

This has been one that has puzzled my mind, at first I though it was because the images in our brain are yet projected backwards, however this seems not the case???

Another time I thought perhaps this was due to the close proximity on the earth's surface along with peripheral view. Maybe even having two eyes???

Still this has me quite puzzled as amusement rides such as roller coasters can make you feel backwards.

Maybe it is the force of the roller coaster that does this or the natural laws of motion in general...

Nevertheless, if the space shuttle in outer space lands on the earth, how and or why do the astronauts not feel they are hanging backwards?????

Thanks in advanced

Edited by Iwonderaboutthings

I don't understand the premise of why one should feel that they are hanging backwards.

Optically, images are inverted in our eyes. Your brain processes the information and you perceive everything right-side up. Not too dissimilar with how you can do this on a computer screen — image processing software can rotate or invert images.

is the gravity pulling you outward the earth, nope its not its pulling you inward so you wont feel you are hanging. The force and pressure exerted to you by the gravity is normal to the surface thus you feel the gravity normal to the surface, you dont feel hanging because there is no gravity outside the earth so there is no force opposing the earths pull from you, Your brain is designed for that because you were born on earth. If you were not born here thus your brain will adjust to know what is up or down.

is the gravity pulling you outward the earth, nope its not its pulling you inward so you wont feel you are hanging. The force and pressure exerted to you by the gravity is normal to the surface thus you feel the gravity normal to the surface, you dont feel hanging because there is no gravity outside the earth so there is no force opposing the earths pull from you, Your brain is designed for that because you were born on earth. If you were not born here thus your brain will adjust to know what is up or down.

Cup of water upside down will pour the water on the floor, but the ocean stays on earth " for example."

Both examples here would not be possible without gravity and of coarse " the motion." IE, hand makes the cup tilt, earth causes people to rotate relative to the surface topology.

But this does not make any sense though, how can gravity work in both situations????????????

AGAIN:

Cup of water upside down will pour the water on the floor, but the ocean stays on earth " for example."

Both examples here would not be possible without gravity and of coarse " the motion."

If the world is rotating and one is like a tree on the ground would this be technically termed hanging upside down?

If so then the mind has no rule over " the physical reality" this is not QM here.

I mean the northern hemisphere of earth at some point must be at the bottom of earth's rotation so I am assuming somewhere like at night I should be feeling that I am at some type of angle, upside down right side up??

If I was walking on a basket ball I would know my movement due to my peripheral view of the basket ball, however earth is much much bigger than this...

I think there is something wrong here. Its not the mind nor our visual realities its the physical evidence of gravity having an effect on our " precognition" similar to QM....

Thats not physics at all, thats metaphysicswink.png

Our brain perceived the world as it does even when images are distorted by glasses; although, it takes a while for the brain to adjust reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perceptual_adaptation

That's a good point and I read the link thanks sir wink.png

But aren't the laws of nature not concerned with what humans think and or perceive??

I have been told this before and in this circumstance I think I am finally understanding much about physics and science coupled with how the mind seems not to apply to physics and the physical laws of nature.

One cannot argue to see the physical fact that a cup pours water when it is tilted towards the floor, this is a physical fact that relies on gravity but oceans remain on the surface regardless of the rotation of earth...However, the moon does have effects on the ocean tides and so fourth..

So you say that G seems to have affects on the mind????????

Only on the surface???????????

9.8 m/s is G on the earths surface right??

Would this OP only hold valid on the surface of earth????

That is strange...ohmy.png

I don't understand the premise of why one should feel that they are hanging backwards.

Optically, images are inverted in our eyes. Your brain processes the information and you perceive everything right-side up. Not too dissimilar with how you can do this on a computer screen — image processing software can rotate or invert images.

Same premise if one was on a hang glider.

But then when thinking about this, my OP would not matter wink.png

It would be then related to air pressure coupled with G on the earth's surface.

Seems like G has many virtual effects on nature even the mind???

Both examples here would not be possible without gravity and of coarse " the motion." IE, hand makes the cup tilt, earth causes people to rotate relative to the surface topology.

That is just because gravity pulls down. "Down" means towards the center of the Earth. Turn the cup upside down and the water falls to Earth. The oceans are effectively sitting in large bowls (which are the right way up) so they stay where they are.

I mean the northern hemisphere of earth at some point must be at the bottom of earth's rotation so I am assuming somewhere like at night I should be feeling that I am at some type of angle, upside down right side up??

No, because "down" is defined by the pull of gravity. Gravity always pulls towards the center of the Earth. Therefore, wherever you are, it pulls you down towards the ground.

No.

That is 9.8 m/s2 (i.e. 9.8 meters per second per second). In other words, acceleration not velocity.

Water in the ocean is not like a cup of water being poured, it's just like a regular cup of water. Gravity pulls it toward the center of the earth, and the cup keeps it from going anywhere. For the oceans, the solid earth is the cup.

But this does not make any sense though, how can gravity work in both situations????????????

AGAIN:

Both examples here would not be possible without gravity and of coarse " the motion."

If the world is rotating and one is like a tree on the ground would this be technically termed hanging upside down?

If so then the mind has no rule over " the physical reality" this is not QM here.

If I was walking on a basket ball I would know my movement due to my peripheral view of the basket ball, however earth is much much bigger than this...

I think there is something wrong here. Its not the mind nor our visual realities its the physical evidence of gravity having an effect on our " precognition" similar to QM....

Thats not physics at all, thats metaphysicswink.png

That's a good point and I read the link thanks sir wink.png

But aren't the laws of nature not concerned with what humans think and or perceive??

I have been told this before and in this circumstance I think I am finally understanding much about physics and science coupled with how the mind seems not to apply to physics and the physical laws of nature.

One cannot argue to see the physical fact that a cup pours water when it is tilted towards the floor, this is a physical fact that relies on gravity but oceans remain on the surface regardless of the rotation of earth...However, the moon does have effects on the ocean tides and so fourth..

Only on the surface???????????

Would this OP only hold valid on the surface of earth????

That is strange...ohmy.png

Same premise if one was on a hang glider.

But then when thinking about this, my OP would not matter wink.png

It would be then related to air pressure coupled with G on the earth's surface.

Seems like G has many virtual effects on nature even the mind???

Actually the upside down feeling is created by the brain, if you heard a news that a mice was born and raised in the ISS and then brought back to earth and placed in a aquarium and they were unable to dtermine which is up or down.

I will try to find the link and post it here

Edited by gabrelov

On Earth's surface, EVERYTHING is moving at the same speed of rotation, about 1,000 miles per hour. Since everything is moving that speed, even the atmosphere, we don't feel it.

wouldn't that place a delay on the speed of light??? rather net force or something to that nature??

For example like interpolation I believe..

The Earth is simply not spinning fast enough to overcome the force of gravity, so it does not fly apart, and we do not fly off, or need to hang on.

If you refer to Electro Static Equilibrium then would't this not matter??

Everything on the surface of earth would then be set at 0 gravity right??

Or am I confused on thisunsure.png