Physics Question

Guest bundamba

Guest bundamba

I have no idea where this post belongs, but here goes.

If a car was travelling at the speed of light, and it turned on its headlights, would light project in front of the car?

Originally posted by bundamba

I have no idea where this post belongs, but here goes.

If a car was travelling at the speed of light, and it turned on its headlights, would light project in front of the car?

relative to what?

hmmm... now you are a stationary object observing that car traveling at c. But how fast would the light from the car's headlights be traveling from your refrence frame?

Assuming that there are no absticles such as planets, just you, the car and the car's light.

Now lets begin the immentent discussion of C and time.

What would happen to a particel if it were to be accelerate to C?

I have a vague idea which is certainly incorrect, thus whats YOUR opinion?

• 2 years later...
I guess its like asking, "what if you were going in a car going X mph and fired a bullet out the window ahead of you that was going at the same speed.

No, you could actually answer that, given enough information.

The original question can't be answered, because the car could never go at c.

as something approaches the speed of light its mass increases, (right?) thus requiring more energy to move, at c its mass is infinate, as is the energy required to move it. Light can do it because it has no mass.

In the ground-frame (to an observer on the ground) : NO

In the car-frame (to an observer in the car) : YES

The measurement of the 'speed of light' is an illusion caused by an incomplete understanding of the phenomenon being 'measured'.
Pray, elaborate ! An "incomplete understanding" on whose part ? What is this illusion, and how does it come about ? And going a step further, what is the true speed of light, according to you ?

"Phenomena" are detected or observed. "Quantities" are measured. "Phenomena" can not be measured.

as something approaches the speed of light its mass increases, (right?) thus requiring more energy to move...

Depends on your definition of mass (i.e you are discussing relativistic mass, and all that implies), but the observer never sees that his own mass has increased, in his own frame.

why not? that doesn't make sense to me. how would mass be relative to who is observing it?

If you use E=mc2, then the mass (relativistic mass) is dependent on the total energy, the value of which depends on your frame of reference. (it's one reason not to use that and use the invariant value instead, but that's a separate discussion)

Light from the car would certainly not be able to project forward! Why are most of the members saying 'yes'?

Light has a velocity constancy which basically means that light has a speed limit. For instance: if I was travelling on a coach at 30 mph and I throw a ball at 5 mph towards the drivers direction, then the overall speed of the ball would equal to 35mph. Light cannot gain any extra velocity unlike the ball described earlier. On what foundation do you think time dilation is based upon?