Intelligent Design ad on SFN

The point is, that's sort of common knowledge for most internet users today. It seems you may be a bit of an exception here.

I know SFN for some year(s) and the ad has never annoyed me in any way till now. it is the fact that the specific advertising was about exactly the contrary of what SFN is about.

It is not even mentioned that this part of SFN is an ad.

-----------------------

I remember some long time ago another ad that came for a week or so about scientology .I was new to SFN then and I really wondered but never engaged the subject.

I know SFN for some year(s) and the ad has never annoyed me in any way till now. it is the fact that the specific advertising was about exactly the contrary of what SFN is about.

What is it about the ad that annoys you?

It also interests me that you even see the ad. The ads to me are background noise that I do not see. Until you mentioned it I was not even aware that there were ads in that position.

Kudus for coming up with a workable solution, instead of just complaining. smile.png

I am not sure I agree with the proposal though: Nobody on the interwebs says an ad is from a third party. As iNow said, this is common knowledge. Almost all advertisements and banners are maintained in the same way.

[edit] "Collusion" is an add-on for Firefox, which will track all the advertisers (and all your other browser history), and then display it in a nice graph. Quite interesting, really.

Kudus for coming up with a workable solution, instead of just complaining. smile.png

I am not sure I agree with the proposal though: Nobody on the interwebs says an ad is from a third party. As iNow said, this is common knowledge. Almost all advertisements and banners are maintained in the same way.

[edit] "Collusion" is an add-on for Firefox, which will track all the advertisers (and all your other browser history), and then display it in a nice graph. Quite interesting, really.

Sorry if I am retarded, this is not common knowledge to me.

Advertising could be the result of some arrangement between SFN and the advertised product, or the banner could be a sponsor.

I am an old fashioned fellow so when I see an ad from Coca Cola on a site, my first reaction is to think that this site either supports Coca-Cola products, or is supported by the well-known Company.

Surely not that I went informing too much about Coca-cola products over the Net lately.

Anyway, if nobody else over the Net puts a warning, that could be a first, as part of the educational purpose of SFN.

What is it about the ad that annoys you?

It also interests me that you even see the ad. The ads to me are background noise that I do not see. Until you mentioned it I was not even aware that there were ads in that position.

What annoys me?

Look carefully at the ad in the OP. What do you see?

I see a guy proposing the answer to "who is the Intelligent Designer?"

Think of a fresh newcomer to SFN seeing that. What would he think?

michel123456, if you can, I seriously suggest you check out that "Collusion" plugin. It'll scare you.

I have it running for only a few hours. I visited 12 different websites today... but through those 12 websites, I also got information from an additional 62 other websites, among which some advertisement companies.

SFN get info from (according to this plugin):

- otenet.gr

- gravatar.com (something with avatars)

- youtube (probably embedded videos - so our members posting, not the forum itself)

- facebook (probably one of the icons / links at the bottom of the page)

You see, when you download a page, you automatically download stuff from other pages.

One newspaper I read puts the website that I see together from as many as 17 urls.

Welcome to the internet! smile.png

I suspect the statement was meant to be ironic — the hypocrisy of you, advocating censorship, given your history.

There is a BIG difference between censorship of someones beliefs and denying an outright LIE from being advertised upon this board.

Has anyone seen or read the Intelligent Design book ment for teaching kids in school which is now banned in all public schools in the United States and many other countries? If I can remember it is called...Pandas and something?

It is neither intelligent or well designed and is quite possibly THE SINGLE MOST IDIOTIC THING I HAVE EVER READ! Never mind what is in the book has no scientific basis...it is also a total afront to common sense.

I have no issue with a child going to Religious School and most teach true science and religion...BUT EVEN RELIGIOUS SCHOOLS DON'T TEACH THIS TRIPE! It's shear stupidity is only slighter than it's audacity.

Even Ultra-Concervative Groups have labeled Intelligent Design as idiocy as such people maybe highly religious but they still are paying big bucks to send their kids to schools to become Doctors, Lawyers, Surgeons...etc...which requires learing REAL SCIENCE.

Split Infinity

SplitInfinity, on 17 Apr 2013 - 00:12, said:

There is a BIG difference between censorship of someones beliefs and denying an outright LIE from being advertised upon this board.

Has anyone seen or read the Intelligent Design book ment for teaching kids in school which is now banned in all public schools in the United States and many other countries? If I can remember it is called...Pandas and something?

Of Pandas and People: The Central Question of Biological Origins

I have to point out that this was "banned*" because of a violation of the establishment clause, not because it's fatally flawed science. One could teach a course based on Lamarckism, or teach flat earth theories and not run afoul of the constitution. It's not censorship, anyway. The government is under no obligation to promote someone's idea, and the failure to do so is not censorship.

*it's not as if nobody is allowed to walk around with a copy of the book or anything. Simply that the government can't use it for teaching a particular class, since it promotes a religious view

This site, of course, is not an arm of the government, so these arguments don't apply.

Of Pandas and People: The Central Question of Biological Origins

I have to point out that this was "banned*" because of a violation of the establishment clause, not because it's fatally flawed science. One could teach a course based on Lamarckism, or teach flat earth theories and not run afoul of the constitution. It's not censorship, anyway. The government is under no obligation to promote someone's idea, and the failure to do so is not censorship.

*it's not as if nobody is allowed to walk around with a copy of the book or anything. Simply that the government can't use it for teaching a particular class, since it promotes a religious view

This site, of course, is not an arm of the government, so these arguments don't apply.

I will be honest about how I feel concerning this book and Intelligent Design in general.

If Intelligent Design was a concept that described how it might be possible that a higher level of consciousness with great power designed and constructed the Universe and perhaps a Multiverse using Quantum Evolution...the process by which Quantum Particle/Wave Forms through the natural laws of physics existing continually arrange themselves into constructs of greater and greater complexity and eventually achieve GENESIS at which time Biological Evolution continually arranges and develops Life into greater and greater complexity until such life achieves self awareness...THEN I would say...it may or maynot be true but at least it is a possibility given that it cannot be disproven.

But instead the term Intelligent Design was used to describe ANYTHING BUT.

Reguardless of the specific reasons it is banned I am glad it is as far as being allowed to be taught in Public Schools and I do not think many if any Private Schools are teaching this and if they are I would bet the parent would be pulling their kids out reguardless of how religious they might be.

After all...I have noticed that a persons Faith tends to lean to a greater degree upon an education that will get their kids into a good college as apposed to having to go to a Community College.

Split Infinity

I have no problem with the site making money off of creationists.

Even if they're just young people that don't know any better? I suppose a teenager isn't going to buy anything with their own money, but they might read the content.

I suppose that makes my recent (now removed) status update look bad as well. I was merely saying I didn't mean to offend any creationists, but I suppose that could be construed as support for the viewpoint.

Edited by Mondays Assignment: Die

Even if they're just young people that don't know any better? I suppose a teenager isn't going to buy anything with their own money, but they might read the content.

If they buy it after showing up here, there's the hope that they will ask questions and we will have the chance to thoroughly debunk the book. That goes the same for quantum jumping or any other snake oil that might appear.