iPod?

Severian

well... how much money do you wanna spend?

the apple ipod is a well known make and is the almost the "microsoft" of the MP3 player industry... (except it doesnt have any faults!!!!)

but then thats just me ;)

see what others think... id get a flash MP3 player as they are a lot cheaper and smaller in size and personally i think that 512MB of music files is plenty and i could use it to transfer files between computers.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can use hard disk mp3 players for file transfer.... it's much better, surely, because there's less of a limit on inidivudal file size. And the iPod does have a fault... it's called iTunes.

That's one way of getting the copyright holders to let you sell it. It makes it a little harder to steal.

The only thing that makes it harder to copy is DRM, and that, like things like SecureROM, generally proves to be much more annoying to people who actually own the item in question; it has no repurcussions to the large scale operations it's supposedly designed to stop.

windows media player (v8 - updates available but thats the one i use for personal preferance reasons) has a copyer built into it which allows you to copy music off CDs and so far (for me) it has never been tricked by any security.

it does copy to .wma files, although most MP3 players play wma files so its ok... for me its fine as a minidisk records any file format and i can play wma format on my computer so thats me sorted...

What the? The maximum size of the iPod is 40Gb.

The maximum size of the iRiver is 40Gb.

Look closer; there's a 60GB version available now, albeit quite expensive.

You might want to look at the iPod photo they've just released; stores your digital photos as well as your music.

You can use hard disk mp3 players for file transfer.... it's much better, surely, because there's less of a limit on inidivudal file size. And the iPod does have a fault... it's called iTunes.

You don't have to use iTunes if you don't want to. I know of at least one piece of software (called Ephpod - free, coincidentally) that you can use to transfer files to and from your iPod. Personally, I think iTunes is the best mp3 player on the market, but each to their own I suppose.

What the? The maximum size of the iPod is 40Gb.

The maximum size of the iRiver is 40Gb.

My bad, Its been a while since I was last looking at mp3 players and at the time I dont think iriver had anything that big.

the iPod has 4 faults (that i know of):

-you can't create folders and playlists 'on the fly'. (*edit* i was wrong, you can create playlists 'on the fly')

-you can't change the volume level while navigating the playlists.

-if the battery breaks, you have to send the iPod to the company to have it replaced. there is no way to replace it yourself (unless you take it appart i suppose, voiding the warranty)

-it breaks somewhat easily, you are likely to have to use the warranty to send it back to the company and get a new one a few times. the good thing is that they always replace it with the newest version though.

i don't know anything about iRiver though, all of my friends have iPods :P

i asked for a Creative NOMAD jukebox Zen NX (30GB) for christmas.

one of my friends has a Creative NOMAD Jukebox Zen Xtra (30GB), which he got most specifically because "you can't navigate the iPod when it's in your pocket." and because it's less than half the price of an iPod.

Guest InfinitZero
I got an iPod last Christmas. I love it to death. I use it in the car and to study with. The only complaint I have with it is the battery life. However' date=' the battery life can be extended by creating and using playlists. I use playlists when I'm alone, but I always have people in the car who are fascinated with it and so the hard drive is constantly spinning up loading different songs (people never want to hear a whole song when there are a thousand or so at your fingertips).

Playlists are simple to make. You can use iTunes to create it or you can create them on-the-go very easily. It's also insanely easy and fast to load songs onto it (if you have a firewire port). It usually takes about half a second per song, so if you're looking to throw a bunch of songs on it, it won't take that long. The biggest hassle is ripping all your CDs, but if you have a fast drive it shouldn't be that bad. My CD-ROM is embarassingly slow, as is my computer (takes them forever to encode). If you use iTunes to purchase music, which I've started doing, you'll save yourself a bunch of time and money. I just buy the singles I like and they go straight to my iPod (as well as to my computer). Right now I have close to 1,400 songs on it.

The interface is easy to use. You can find any song you want within 10 seconds if you know the artist or title. You can sort by genre, year, album, song name, or artist. You can also shuffle songs, either within playlists or within the whole iPod itself. Besides all that, it just looks SO SEXY![/quote']

you BUY your music aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah lol

also my friend told me that the ipod has a very long battery life but once it runs out its useless. My friend said his friend had his iPod for a longggg time then it stopped working. He called apple and they said his battery was dead and he'd have to buy a new one.

I dont know if this is 100% true...just what I heard

He called apple and they said his battery was dead and he'd have to buy a new one.
Maybe he should consider plugging it in to charge.

But seriously, the early iPods had a battery defect issue I believe. That was several generations ago though.

Guest InfinitZero

there stealing my money when they charge like 20 bucks a cd :cool:

so are the cable and satellite companies which is why I steal bell expressvu and dishnetwork and steal it for other ppl too...for a price :) which means i'm also stealing from the movie biz with the free ppv's and I also copy dvd movies with my burner too...im just a big thief

there stealing my money when they charge like 20 bucks a cd :cool:

so are the cable and satellite companies which is why I steal bell expressvu and dishnetwork and steal it for other ppl too...for a price :) which means i'm also stealing from the movie biz with the free ppv's and I also copy dvd movies with my burner too...im just a big thief

But they aren't actually taking your money, are they? You are aware that you don't have to have the music, right? Unless there is coercion on their part, you can't say they are stealing. There is absolutely no way you can legitimately justify it.

But you, at least, admit you are a thief.