Free ipod?

Lance

Ive seen these before. It works like this. You contribute a very small amount to the site either directly or by third party purchase for which the site makes a comission. You are then entered on a list. The site alocates a percentage of its profit to supplying the product in this case an ipod. So lets say the contribution is 50p and the percentage for product is 1% and the ipod is £50. That means 10000 people have to contribute to the site before the first person on the list gets an ipod. Another 10000 before the second person on the list gets an ipod. Thats the most basic format. Some may also impose other conditions like you must get 10 friends to sign up stating you refered them. Its not a lie its not a con but you could be waiting a long time for your ipod. You could probably invest the 50p for the same period and get the latest gadget instead of the ipod.

Ok yes it does work but consider the numbers. Lets estimate 10 000 000 people want an ipod in the uk. 5 000 000 will go to a shop and 5 000 000 will look to the net. Of those who look to the net only 10% will risk even 50p on whats seems a bit dodgy. That leaves 500 000. That means only the first 50 people on the list get one. Also the number of people wanting one goes down all the time and the company running the sceme will stop advertising it almost completely to make way for the next latest gadget to get more cash in faster.

I guess I'll just have to buy one then...

Anybody own one?

Yes. I got a 15 GB one about 18 months ago. Love it. I listen to it mostly at the gym, and also in the car on long trips (I bought the iTrip FM transmitter from Griffin technology, which allows me to play on an unused frequency on any radio)

You will always know someone who has one (or more likely, someone who knows someone).

What these people do is give away 1000 iPods, and leave the site open forever building up a nice list of email addresses to sell.

Come on, get with it. Who is going to give away an iPod to anyone who asks?

• 1 month later...
I don't see the point; the chances are you'll never get one. Just save up and buy one.

I was going to and I even saved up but yesterday I bought a new camera instead.

The the ipod shuffle is pretty cool and I might get one of those instead considering the 1gb is only $150 which really isnt bad for a flash player.

I can see the Mac Mini appealing to a hell of a lot of people; its cheap, doesn't cost very much in comparison to a lot of other PCs and takes up next to no desk space with a tft and wireless keyboard/mouse. On top of that, it looks extortionately cool.

I can see the Mac Mini appealing to a hell of a lot of people; its cheap, doesn't cost very much in comparison to a lot of other PCs and takes up next to no desk space with a tft and wireless keyboard/mouse. On top of that, it looks extortionately cool.

oh, i completely agree that it is a good marketing idea, although i would much sooner buy a g5 or powerbook g4