Existence does it have any meaning or purpose??

Alan McDougall

Does existence have any meaning and purpose? Then if there really is a purpose behind existence, then everything exists, to allow for that meaning of existence? Thus, if there is a purpose to existence then everything must exist for that ultimate purpose.

This would mean thatall things that exist are the necessary structures that allow that meaning of existence, to exist for that purpose.

Thus, is existence just a meaningless grind without purpose or does the universe have some intrinsic meaning of its own?

Edited by Alan McDougall

Does existence have any meaning and purpose? Then if there really is a purpose behind existence, then everything exists, to allow for that meaning of existence? Thus, if there is a purpose to existence then everything must exist for that ultimate purpose.

This would mean thatall things that exist are the necessary structures that allow that meaning of existence, to exist for that purpose.

Thus, is existence just a meaningless grind without purpose or does the universe have some intrinsic meaning of its own?

Things don't need a "purpose" to exist. Things be created without any purpose. For example, suppose when you get up tomorrow, you make a cup of coffee. Then accidentally spill it on the floor. Your carelessness will create a pool of liquid, possibly with microbial life-forms transiently pullulating and dying within the spillage. But has the spillage got a purpose - to justify its existence?

If some pool-dwelling microbe cried: "What is the Purpose of this Pool" - what answer would you give?

Edit/ double posted, again...

I just realized how huge this topic and how many different ideas there are about the meaning of existence. I think each individual has a unique meaning for their own existence.

The science community believe that science may be able to provide some context of how, why, and where we exist, and set some parameters for conversations on topics related to meaning in life. This includes offering insights from the science of happiness or studies of death anxiety. This also means providing context for, and understanding of life itself through explorations of the theories related to the big bang creation event, the abiogeneses of life and the evolution of life on planet earth, or elsewhere such as on Mars with the latest rover, "Curiosity"

Some time ago I chose a few words of a song for my "signature". I did this because I feel it holds truth. I'll copy it here in case you change my mind and force me to change my signature. smile.gif

"Trying to make some sense of it all,

But I can see that it makes no sense at all"

Edited by Joatmon

Some time ago I chose a few words of a song for my "signature". I did this because I feel it holds truth. I'll copy it here in case you change my mind and force me to change my signature. smile.gif

"Trying to make some sense of it all,

But I can see that it makes no sense at all"

I think when we look into the eyes of our children, then suddenly life and existence becomes meaningful :)

Moderator please read below?

I wrote this article a few year ago, it fits loosly with the topic. Dear moderator if you feel it should not be posted here remove it and I will make it a blog !:)

A suggestion on how to live your life by Alan McDougall

I wrote this for both old and young people!!

In order to grow through life one must first establish a harmony within oneself, harness all our natural talents, gifts, formal and non-formal education towards the essential goals in life. Chose early the passion of that which you love and do the utmost to make that your career and you will not really have to work one day in your life. Establish a hierarchy of preferences and aim for those most realistic and most important on your list.

Imagine you have only one year of life left and list the things you would do if this were all the time left for you. Incorporate this into the list, ranking all the events, and look at it. It should give you a really great idea toward the planning your journey through life.

Never ever, stop learning, even if you live to be one hundred years of age. Fascination with all things around you makes a rich and wonderful personality. A very high-developed sense of humour is of absolute prime importance in order to overcome the pitfalls of life. You might say, 'well that's all right for the young but I am middle aged or older, However no matter what ones age, do the suggested exercise and you will be amazed at the richness and opportunities out there still within your grasp.

Life is rich and has so much to offer all of us. Be positive in the midst of negativity by using that powerful tool, your sense of humour. Very important although not apparent to many persons is the absolute necessity of having a real loving spouse, partner and friend who travels down the sometimes-difficult road of life with you.

Do whatever invigorates you the most. Make life fun, pleasurable, happy, joyful but never depraved. Sensuality is awonderful gift if used correctly. Use this part of your psyche correctly and to the utmost. "Really, life should be exquisite, fun, pleasurable, enjoyable and glorious. Unhealthy obsessions must be avoided like a plague (religiousfanaticism etc).

There are energy vampires, who will drain you of your life energy, leave you exhausted and depressed. Avoid them at all costs where practical. Make sure most of your friends are energy invigorators and be one yourself. Again, the key here is ones sense of humour. The mendacious are a pain and do not really make good company but sometimes we can overlook and just laugh at their ridiculous stories.

Of course, life is not always a bed of roses and those dark times will come to us all. Nevertheless, when in the long cold night of darkness of hopelessness and despair, one should always realize that a new dawn will always come again and the sun shine warm once again upon ones cheek in the morning of joy. Take it from someone who really knows!

Oh! How important it is to be forgiving. Unforgiveness has no purpose and will fester like a malignant tumour and result in ill health, doing more harm to yourself than tothe one you will not forgive. Love each other. However, how does one do this? Love is an action, so do love, even if you don't feel it. Carry it out by actions. Compassion is a wonderful unique human quality, so enhance this within your being to the utmost degree.

Don't allow anyone to take away from you that which you know is true to yourself. Honesty is the best policy but sometimes-absolute truth can hurt. Humanity consists mainly of good people, who are being held ransom by a minute evil 0000.1 few. Some religious fanatics say that humanity is intrinsically evil , However, I simply don't buy into this nonsense.

Wisdom comes with the passing years, but ask children difficult questions and you will be amazed at their insight. Live life like an incandescent light, glowing brightly until you put off this mortal cloak and blink out of existence. In other words, live until your demise. Savour and cherish each glorious moment. Be careful not to say hurtful things to others because once the words have left your lips you cannever take them back.

You legacy will become the heritage of those that come after you, and so what you do with your life is not only important to yourself. There is one companion that will be with you every moment of your life and you should love this person as much asyou love anything in the whole world. This precious person is none other than yourself.

Use and develop your intuition to a very high degree and it will help you from stumbling on the rocks along the pathways of Life. Have you not been aware when you come into a room and meet a stranger that there is an instant liking or dislike between the two of you? On the other hand, you have felt that a course of action was wrong and the closer you got the more uncomfortable you got with this course of action. These are examples of intuition, listen and adjust to them carefully and you could avoid much pain sorrow and anguish in your life.

The eye is the window to the soul, look into the eyes of a stranger and you will hear your mind saying "beauty, kind, shy, bad, ugly, evil" or remote etc. By just one careful look, one can read much about the character of a person you know nothing about. When alarm bells ring in your mind, please listen to them.

You are truly absolutely 100% unique. There has never been one like you, there is now no one exactly like you, and in all the future eternities, there will never be another just like you. Of you fathers half billion sperm cells, only one reached you mother's egg and this was you. No has ever had your unique genetic D.N.A. code or fingerprint. Are you not, therefore, very special and is it so wrong to love and respect the wonderful creation you are?

Go outside or getaway from the noise of the city and in the quiet of early morning listen carefully, you will hear the birds chirping like beautiful electrons in the mind of God. Take in the glory of existence all around and feast your eyes on its beauty. You know, of all the countless trillions of snowflakes, leaves, flowers, and no two are identical and each one is a unique creation of the universe. Feel the breeze upon your skin, smell the fragrance of the universe bath in the glory and joy of you existence. Be at peace with yourself and all the rest ofthe universe. You are a child of the universe, so special and wonderful.

Take your mind into the place of unimaginable beauty and wonder, go on a journey into places you have never been and go further into the cosmic vastness of the beauty of the universe, with the power of imagination. What is the purpose of life? It is to live it to the full, without hurting others or doing the depraved. Charity is wonderful gift to the soul. Question everything with a sense of anticipation and wonder.

Love and respect your mortal body, as it is the vehicle that takes you on this journey through mortal life on earth. until the last curtain falls for you on this blessed earth. Planet earth is our beloved mother and we must preserve her, love her and cherish her in all her blue glory. She is a blue blazing diamond glowing brightly in the vastness of the universe. Love all creatures. Get all your priorities in order. Spouse, companion, family and children first. A balance in life between ones occupation and home life is essential or the psyche becomes unbalanced and depression and anxiety will take hold of you. Take much time to be with the one you know best, namely, yourself.

Life is a school and if you do not pass a test, you will repeat it repeatedly until you have passed and only then be able to move on. Life made up of countless choices and each choice could ultimately determine and define ones destiny.

How we maintain good health, I think by developing a powerful sense of humour, much laughter and exposing one to things we find extremely funny. Then having sufficient exercise combined with a balanced diet of fish and a combination of as many brightly coloured fruit and vegetables as one can afford. Genetic preposition unfortunately plays a factor in how long and heathly we might live and is not always under our control. Red meat should be restricted to the rare occasion. Remember, your body is the temple of your mind/brain and if you pollute it with toxic substances, you will suffer the consequences thereof.

What about pollution of the mind? Yes, one must be very careful about what you allow into the gateways of your mind. As a young boy, I was shown terrible photo that horrified me and gave my young mind the idea that sex was an evil perversion.This horrible image of nearly sixty years ago still haunts me and remains implanted in the basement of my mind. Once we have looked at filth, it is with us all the days of our lives, imbedded deep within the brain.

Look, listen, read and enjoy that which is good and healthy to the mind. Guard all the doors or inputs to your mind; you are the one that permits these images or sounds into your brain. What we allow into our minds is of such prime importance that it cannot overstated.

I, however, acknowledge that all the complexities and realities of life cannot be covered in a short article like this and thousands of voluminous and sometimes unreadable books have been written of this subject. Therefore, the above is my humble attempt by it what it may.

By Alan McDougall

Composed12/7/2007

I think when we look into the eyes of our children, then suddenly life and existence becomes meaningful :)

I am a father, grandfather and great-grandfather, but you ask about existence per se. IMO the only purpose of existence is the continuation of existence. Most of life doesn't even know it has children - plants, insects, some animal life such as frogs etc.. I love my family and have devoted my life to their well-being but that is what we do as our share of ensuring the continuation of existence.

I am a father, grandfather and great-grandfather, but you ask about existence per se. IMO the only purpose of existence is the continuation of existence. Most of life doesn't even know it has children - plants, insects, some animal life such as frogs etc.. I love my family and have devoted my life to their well-being but that is what we do as our share of ensuring the continuation of existence.

I am a father of four daughters, ten grandchildren, one great- grandchild, thus like you I am a father, grandfather and great-grandfather, I am of the higher type of living things, thus I am consciously aware of who my offspring are and they give me meaning for my existence. Love gives us meaning to live and my devotion to them is altruisic.

If we talk only about living things, without obvious self-awareness, then you are right, we continue to exist, because we exist.

For me it breaks life down into two eras, BC and AC, Before Children and After Children... :P

On reading this post again, why did your existence only have meaning in the absence of children

Edited by Alan McDougall

• 2 weeks later...

You shouldn't look for inherent meaning or purpose. You have the freedom to make your own. In the same way that an artist is not concerned about the blank paper but is interested in what he paints on to it. :)

Yes Maybe it is the journey that is important, not the destination. :)

I [we] am here. It doesn't matter why.

http://www.sciencefo...nal-philosophy/

Very well but, at the same time, that "it doesn't matter" why we are here can matter very, very much and in my opinion, it does matter that "it doesn't matter."

I take it you mean ultimate meaning or purpose. And, in that sense, my answer is, "Fortunately, none that I have been able to discover." But, if meaning and purpose are relieved of the requirement that these be ultimate in scope, then my answer becomes, "Fortunately, as much meaning as one is able to devise to some noble end."

• 4 weeks later...

I think people want life to have a purpose. When really we should just be happy that we were lucky enough to exist. On a proportional scale, to our knowledge the universe is not a very friendly place for life. From life to our individual species to me and you, we are very lucky to be here.

The massive rock we are on right now was lucky enough to harbor the conditions that sustain life as we know it.

Our species was lucky enough to adapt and evolve so that it stands where it does today.

You and I are lucky that our parents met.

Did all of that happen for a reason? It might have, to our knowledge it hasn't so we should just be happy that we are lucky enough to exist right now.

I think people want life to have a purpose. When really we should just be happy that we were lucky enough to exist. On a proportional scale, to our knowledge the universe is not a very friendly place for life. From life to our individual species to me and you, we are very lucky to be here.

The massive rock we are on right now was lucky enough to harbor the conditions that sustain life as we know it.

Our species was lucky enough to adapt and evolve so that it stands where it does today.

You and I are lucky that our parents met.

Did all of that happen for a reason? It might have, to our knowledge it hasn't so we should just be happy that we are lucky enough to exist right now.

I really like what you said!:)

Edited by Alan McDougall

I don't see any ultimate thing that determines meaning, you create your own reality of meaning, anything can have any meaning you want it to, it's just an arbitrary label.

This is only partly tue, did the victims of the Holocaust create their own reality, or did Hitler

Sounds a bit tautological..that is meaning sort of moves you toward a goal....meanings also usually come from an origin or starting point..its not the golden age...meaning has collapsed for now a significant portion of people...Heraclitus "the world is made out of itself"...the new world is built out of the old