I found a new personal philosophy

ecoli

I am here. It doesn't matter why.

What matters is how ie- how it [life] can be better. And, as Gandalf the wise has said, "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

screw god(s) or the bible(s) or any of that noise. f- tradition or fantasy or trying to please others.

I am here.

btiches.

post-953-0-40160400-1344387359_thumb.jpg

This all sounds quite absurd(ism), Sisyphus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Myth_of_Sisyphus

Nice! I've been meaning to read something by Camus. I'll have to check this out.

I would amend that to, "We are here. It doesn't matter why." That way, when you try to make life better, you aren't the only one trying.

True, but until this moment I did not consider that there might be other 'Here-ists" to collaborate with.

I came across an article (as usual) by the BBC years ago:

http://www.guardian....ts-of-the-dying

This is the guardian and it's more recently posted. But it's a survey taken by old people on their death beds about their most common regrets in life; my philosophy has been, in part, to see what they regretted in life and not end up with the same regrets myself whenever it is I die.

Number 1 in that article is the most common, and most important in my opinion.

Edit: number 1 is the point Ecoli is making as it just so happens.

Edited by Iota

Sounds like you have overcome your final illusion; had your moment, become enlightened, if you will. Congrats.

There are five such illusions we, humans, have to grapple with, those being:

Fear, understanding, control, need and time.

It’s almost impossible not to appear condescending with this post, my apologies it’s certainly not my intention, this is a description of my moment http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/63253-45-year-depression/page__p__652524__fromsearch__1#entry652524

Post #4 is most relevant.

If, as may well be the case, I’m way off then please just ignore. BTW ‘The Plague’ is well worth a read.

I try to imitate my dog's philosophy on life:

Eat, be happy, don't question it. Simply exist. Chew computer cables if you get bored.

Indeed. I think that it is difficult to find a dog that was not happy.

True, but until this moment I did not consider that there might be other 'Here-ists" to collaborate with.

I've been guilty of Here-sy for some time now.

I've often wondered why people spend so much time on unanswerable questions like "Why are we here?", but it seems clear that you need to ask the question enough times to finally realize that it really doesn't matter why. You just accept that you're here so you can start focusing on what you're going to do about it. Much more meaningful and rewarding for everyone.

Phi,

Just to back you up. It does appear that there is life after death...that is, everybody else's life.

I am in a particularly bad situation right now, but the loss I am suffering is analogous to terminal illness, in that the company, that I have worked for, for 24 years, is moving my job responsibilities to a city 1000 miles away, and I don't think I am going. Some of my teammates are moving their lives there, to follow our team leader, others like myself COULD apply to relocate as well, but have families and spousal jobs, and support groups, that they do no wish to leave. Others are not needed, as their skillsets are already covered by a series of mergers that has created a great deal of duplication and triplication of quality people. So, for the next 7 weeks, I am terminally ill, in regards to my team and in regards to the network of internal and external customers that I support, who will no longer, be my responsibility.

In this regard, I am terminally ill, and will die in 7 weeks. I will not give up the fight. I will continue to support and fulfil my responsibilities, because thats my job. And I will suffer through the stages of loss and death, of denial, bargaining, anger, depression, and finally, hopefully, calm acceptance. Maybe I will be rescued by another department or arm of my company, but EXTRA spots, in this economy and the restructuring my company is doing are rare, and everybody cannot be absorbed. For all intents and purposes my situation is a good analogy for death, so I use it here on this thread, as such.

And since my team and customers and company WILL survive without me, after they lose me, the analogy is complete and there is "life after death". For the here-ist.

What I added to the company is not subtracted, just my ability to add any more. Exactly like life. Life continues, after you die.

Regards, TAR2

P.S. As my mom was dying of cancer, she took the eight hundred dollars she had to her name, and with my sister's help, signed and sealed a series of birthday cards. For many years, after her death, each of my daughters recieved a birthday card, signed in the dying scrawl of their loving grandma, with money enclosed. A little creepy, but my point is, the gifts were from my mom.

And my suggestion would be, for anyone, of any philosophy, to leave as many gifts as they can muster.