What would you do in this situation ???

rahul_rudani

Hey guys,

What would you suggest in this situation ???

1) If astronomers detect a planet-killing asteroid right before it hits Earth, do you want to know?

- Yes, I would like to be able to prepare for the end.

- No, I would rather enjoy the last minutes without knowing.

:confused:

Hehehe...good point.

Tricky question though. How do you prepare for a planet killing event in minutes? or even hours? Preparing for your own death usually involves working on the assumption that most other people will survive it. That's the only reason for making a will, or 'putting one's affairs in order'. If you replace that assumption with the knowledge that everyone else is gonna be toast too, what's left to do? Sit around knowing that you and the people who mean the most to you are all going to die. I suspect that knowing these were your last few minutes and enjoying them are probably mutually exclusive.

If there was nothing that could be done about it, I think that knowing would probably be a bad thing. Most people occupy much of their present with preparations for the immediate future. Personally, I have been working for the last ten years towards a specific goal, and this has involved quite a bit of sacrifice and not having lots of fun. Telling me that I would now never reap the rewards of that effort would not facilitate a party mood. Take that (and all hope) away, and I doubt many people would have too much fun. Moreover, I think there are those who, given the absolute certainty that there would be no consequense to their actions, might spend their last few minutes making the last few minutes of those around them quite miserable.

In sum, I think with only minutes or hours to go, I'd rather not know, especially as tequila tends not to give me hangovers anyway.

right, as radical edward said, I think there's someone I would rather be with in the last few minutes or whatever than thinking I'll get to be with her in just a little while and then up and dying:rolleyes:

Originally posted by rahul_rudani

Hey guys,

1) If astronomers detect a planet-killing asteroid right before it hits Earth, do you want to know?

I'd like to know but I'd also like to know when and where it would strike. I'd want to pick the best place possible to watch it. :cool:

I'm not sure if this is true, but Jupiter hides many orbits of asteroids. If one was detected by astronomers coming from behind Jupiter, we would only have about three months to prepare.

I would like to know so that I can do stuff without worry of tomorrow (without killing myself. No worry about School, work, family...). I would still love my dog (take her out and feed), but that’s about it. I also think companies should make everything free so I can get that Trans AM or whatever. It would lessen crime in those last days too.

QUESTON:

Do we watch orbits of asteroids compared to our Moon? What if a giant astrodie hit the moon and knocked it off its orbit, causing the moon to crashing into us or leaving its orbit around Earth. This would be equally damaging over time (eradicate life on Earth) to life on Earth.

In order to knock the Moon off it's trajectory to asteroid would have to be roughly the size of Bolivia. I'm not to hot on eliptical orbits, but I'm fairly sure upsetting the orbit would send the moon flying away from orbit rather than towards us. Anything large enough to push the moon onto the Earth would be right behind the moon and they would both hit us.

Tidal shifts would be fun though. .

If you listen to Bruce Willis films, as I do, you would know that NASA only has enough budget to monitor 10% of the Earth sky. So I wouldn't worry too much about Jupiter hiding things from you.

Originally posted by fafalone

And theres always going out and having sex with everyone you want without fear of pregnancy or STDs, or having to commit to a relationship ;)

hm...kind of a kamikaze way...

I'd like to know though;

Guest Zorken
Originally posted by rahul_rudani

Hey guys,

I don't think I would like to know, especially not if it was like a month away. I mean, walking around for 30 days knowing that you're gonna' die. Yikez.

If it were only like a couple of hours left, I'd like to think that I would wanna know, but I'm not sure. I would definately not be sane about it, perhaps I would start praying for my life even though I don't consider myself being very religious. I would probably go insane.

However if I managed not to go insane, I would spend my last moments alive with someone that I love, preferably my girlfriend.

Only one problem ahead of me though, to get a girlfriend. :-(

Guest Zorken

Yeah, but you don't know me, I was born evil. *laughs sadistically* j/k :D

No but seriosly, should I interpret your comment as a question or as a statement based on your own experiences? :P

And second of all, by the means of "getting a girlfriend" I do not mean going out grabbing the first girl I see. I mean to find someone that I truly love, but ofcourse, in such an armageddon situation that we are speaking of, everyone gets desperate I guess. :)

Oh and FYI: It's Zorken :D

Actually, the asteroid LM2002 came from the direction of the sun, as do many, so we never saw it until AFTER it missed us. A "Planet killer" would be large enough to see several days before striking, and so anyone who looked up would see it. I am sure many would not think too hard on it. Just as well. If it is that close...we are best to know nothing. It would cause panic, and would accomplish nothing. However, despite the fact that I would rather not know, my past affiliations almost certainly guarantee I would be told by someone.

Bill

walking around for 30 days knowing that you're gonna' die. Yikez.

your doing the same right now, but in years. i'm walking around knowing that at any point in time I could die. it happens to people all the time. the question is when are you gonig to become news. the sick things is that 99.99999% of the world won't give a damn that your dead. in a few generations you will be lost and it will be as if you never exisited in the first place. try swallowing that bit.

Originally posted by fafalone

You will :D

"Pictured next to human skulls: Fafalone, 47th democratically elected Overlord of the United States of the World. Beloved dictator and asphyxiator of the ignorant. ALL HAIL."

Can I preorder a copy?