Autoclaving some clothes: jeans and some shirts, not too dirty

Genecks

So, I've got some clothes, you know.. underwear, shirts, blue jeans... and I'm thinking about autoclaving them. There really isn't a laundromat near by, and I don't get paid for about 6 more days.

They kind of of smell, but I figure that's just some organic chemical left over. I've read about it before, but I can't recall the molecule's name. I figure if I autoclave the stuff, then the clothes will be sterilized. I'm not sure what kind of result autoclaving would have on the fabric, but I'm trying to save some money.

So, if I were to autoclave some black shirts and a couple of pairs of blue jeans, even some socks and underwear, do you think that there would be considerable damage to my clothes? It would be using steam, pressure, and heat to clean them.

I've read that when autoclaving clothes, they should be put in a bag. I've also read that a bag isn't always necessary. I don't think there will be a problem, because I'll just have them in an autoclave basket. I could wet them down first and maybe autoclave the clothes as though I'm autoclaving a liquid. I'm not sure.

Thoughts? Ideas? lol

Edited by Genecks

And the reason for not just washing them in the bath/ shower is...?

Well, for one, I don't have much money until payday. I'm broke. And I figure I want them clean. So, I want to make sure they are nice to wear, and I figure the autoclave would be a good way to make sure they are at least clean.

Also in addition to having ruined your clothes, they will also smell nicely of stuff that has been autoclaved. Especially nice if the autoclave is also used for inactivating bacterial cultures.