An atmosphere of helium

TransformerRobot

I'm not sure why you would postulate an atmosphere of pure helium, any planet large enough or massive enough to hold onto helium would almost certainly have lots of neon, hydrogen, methane, CO and CO2, nitrogen and or nitrogen compounds as well, oxygen if it has life that is photosynthetic.

I'm not sure why you would postulate an atmosphere of pure helium, any planet large enough or massive enough to hold onto helium would almost certainly have lots of neon, hydrogen, methane, CO and CO2, nitrogen and or nitrogen compounds as well, oxygen if it has life that is photosynthetic.

What I wanted to know is what would the planet's temperature be?

teh hydrogen could be entirely converted to metallic hydrogen and teh heavier gases could sink to the very bottom of the atmopshere.

I would like to know what the temperature would be right above those heavier elements.

Edited by granpa

• 2 weeks later...

I thought we were talking about this:

I can't access it either, but I can read the last bit where it says they couldn't observe any IR absorption at all.

Helium really shouldn't have any IR activity (nor visible nor microwave nor UV up to fairly high energy)