An atmosphere of helium

TransformerRobot

I doubt He would absorb much IR. AFAIK the first excitation is well into the UV, meaning that there will be very few atoms in excited states, where they might have an IR transition. You generally need to have a molecule to have accessible IR transitions.

I doubt He would absorb much IR. AFAIK the first excitation is well into the UV, meaning that there will be very few atoms in excited states, where they might have an IR transition. You generally need to have a molecule to have accessible IR transitions.

Right. To add to that, IR radiation is generally on the order of the energies between rotational/vibrational levels in molecules where, as you stated, atomic electronic transitions for the first few n levels are usually more in the UV/X-ray region.

Well Oxygen does though, right?

Not really. In order for a vibrational transition to be IR active, it has to result in a net change in the dipole moment of the molecule so homonuclear diatomic molecules or single atoms will not show IR absorption.

But look at methane. We can bend one of the C-H bonds and change the dipole moment so it's IR active.

every 10 degree increase in temperature doubles the amount of water vapor in the air.

this increases the number of thunderstorms which transport warm moist air from the ground to just below the stratosphere where it is above most of the infrared absorbing atmosphere.

so the warmer the earth becomes the more efficiently its cooling mechanism becomes.

every 10 degree increase in temperature doubles the amount of water vapor in the air.

this increases the number of thunderstorms which transport warm moist air from the ground to just below the stratosphere where it is above most of the infrared absorbing atmosphere.

so the warmer the earth becomes the more efficiently its cooling mechanism becomes.

You mean this planet is self-cooling? If I knew that I wouldn't worry so much about saving electricity.

Not really. In order for a vibrational transition to be IR active, it has to result in a net change in the dipole moment of the molecule so homonuclear diatomic molecules or single atoms will not show IR absorption.

But look at methane. We can bend one of the C-H bonds and change the dipole moment so it's IR active.

so an atmosphere of hydrogen doesnt absorb much IR either?

so an atmosphere of hydrogen doesnt absorb much IR either?

Nope. There are some electronic transitions between high excited states that may fall in this range but at room temperature these states are not likely to be populated.

Of course you can cheat by looking at the quadrupole in a high pressure sample of H2 gas. This will require a ridiculously long path length to observe IIRC.

I found this but I dont have access.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/p57-090

AN ATTEMPT TO DETECT INFRARED ABSORPTION IN LIQUID...

so just how well would a 10,000 km thick atmosphere of pure liquid helium keep a planet warm?

I have no idea how to set up even a 'back of the envelope' calculation.

Edited by granpa

http://www.nrcresear...10.1139/p57-090

so just how well would a 10,000 km thick atmosphere of pure liquid helium keep a planet warm?

How can an atmosphere be in any state other than a gas state?

the density of liquid helium is 0.14 g/cm^3 and like a gas it is a fluid.

pretty much everything else in the universe will sink below it.

so yes I would call it an atmosphere.

you can call it an ocean if you want to but its an ocean you couldnt swim in.

creatures that evolved there would fly through it.

they wouldnt swim through it.

Edited by granpa

I thought we were talking about this:

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/p57-090