Experiments gone wrong!

blike

"when I was 14 me and a friend broke into a derilect metalurgy lab in a factory."

And now some kids are breaking into/destroying your shed. Ever heard of karma? :)

big difference, that factory was being knocked down at the time, as it had been long since abandoned by all workers and staff some 8 months prior.

the demolition crew didn`t work on Sunday, and so we hopped the fence and had a walk around. the key word is "Derilect" :)

edit: so as not to waste this post with off topicness.

this same friend and I came up with the marvelous scientific experimental idea the once, we wanted to make Detacord, but were uncertain about its charecteristics, so we got a 14 foot plank of wood in his dads garage, made a thin line of an explosive that I`ll not name!

the line ran the length of the wood and was about half the width of a pencil.

we carefully put a single layer of masking tape over the line and a fuse in the one end.

we put 2 pence pieces ontop of this tape every 6 inches.

my mate had the stopwatch and tape recorder and I lit the fuse.

a few seconds later !!!!!*BANG*!!!!!

he didn`t even get chance to start the watch as the fuse hit the stuff, nevermind stop it!

there was bits of tape snowing down, no smoke other than from the fuse and all the 2 pences had gone and plank was cut neatly in half.

well, after recovering from the impact and shock, we looked for the 2pences.

we found some of them :(

all bent in half (about 30 degrees) and stuck into the NEW plaster board that his dad had spent ages putting in his garage. the ones that hit the walls didn`t go all the way in, the ones that hit the ceiling we lost totaly.

we did our best to plaster it all back up before he got back from work, as far as I know, he didn`t notice :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we didn`t think it would go that fast either, hence the tape recorder, we figured it would have sounded like a machine gun and last at least a second or more, we wanted to work out the "burn rate"

the 2 pences were to make a sound interuption to callibrate with.

no, not us... !!!*BANG*!!! all gone in an instant, the tape playback just sounded like a riffle shot to, no individual sounds at all.

of course we didn`1t consider stuff hitting us, it wasn`t meant to "Hit" anything.

Experiment Gone Wrong! LOL :)

• 4 months later...

once i was heating someting wit my alcohol burner. I belive i was making hcl. But the alcohol thing was homamade and full. It had a slot in the lid which the fiber went in. I tipped it over once, spilling the flaming ethanol all over my tiny desk. The flaming alcohol was about to drip onto the carpet but i got the fire extingusher and blew it out. however i got all that horrible dust crap everwehere. It was like mt st helens ash. :mad:

also one time i was making "white powder", and i left it on the stove for a bit too long (i walked away and forgot about it- horrrribly mistake). The fairly large batch detonated quite powerfully and threw the beaker away but worst of all filled the whole house with super thick smoke and set off every fire alarm. :eek:

also i was testing acids and things on dissolving meat and somehow the tube of H2SO4 spilled and got all over my floor. When i found it i had 2 enormous holes in my buetiful carpet (not beutiful anymore however). :-(

I've had the unfortunate experience of inhaling fuming sulfuric and bromine at the same time. Some poorly prepared bromine water...

On the same day My teacher was washing out a container that said NaCl on it as soon as she poored water into it the bottom blew of (It was actualy conc H2SO4), sending acid across the room.

~Scott

ha, my best mishap has got to be in A-level chemistry. we were distiling linoline, an alcohol found in orange peel, and i kept making loads of mistakes when trying to do chemist stuff to the distillate -- adding water instead of acid, forgetting to plug the end of the test tube before i shook it etc, and for some reason all of these mistakes were hillariouse.

eventually, my tutor was drawn to the sound of my giggling, whereupon she found that i hadnt fitted the distilation apperatus together correctly, and i had been inhaling the gaseouse linoline that was leaking out.

she told me to go outside and get some fresh air, at which point it became apparent how drunk i was, as i needed help going down the stairs.

sobered up quite quickly, but deffinately my funnest mishap :D

• 3 weeks later...

My biggest mistake in chemistry : I was making hydrogen (2 Al + 6 HCl -> 2 AlCl3 + 3 H2) in a plastic bottle and I had closed it for some stupid reasons. Pressure got to high and when I realised the thing was going to explode, I took it as fast as I could to reopen it, but when I had it in my hands, it was too late. The bottle exploded in my hand. A bottle of 4 mm thick plastic !!! I had to undress becouse the hydrochloric acid was eating my clothes (and me). I couldn't see anything becouse there was so much somke (dark grey smoke). I creeped away, half naked, but got to the door, opened it, and ran away !! This happened on a monday morning, but at 4 o clock I still felt my heart beating like hell :D

Hm, not so much an expirment, but when we were disecting in early biology, a frog or turtle, we were going to cut the spleen.

well, my friend (or I) didnt have classes on, and when i cut it, a nice blob of spleen juice and preservative stuff (not formaldehyde) got into his eye.

after that he wore an apron and goggles.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

my biggest mistake was when i was trying to make a hydrogen torch with 2 funnels and soom tubing,they where both filled with water and connected with tubing upside dowd ,in one(to make the H2)i stuck a lump of lithium from under the funnel, everything was going fine untill i ignited it,air got in forming "expoding gas" and the funnel dlew apart.I saw a piece of glass fly right past my face.lucly i had gogles and gloves