What is an absolute vacuum?

rigney

Yeh.Like the video you posted under your other thread "mass,space and speed".

Not understanding what you are referring to, I'm trying to find a relationship between the two threads? Vacuum to me is a real thing that I can only speculate as to what? At present, science has "Vacuum" on the front burner again because of the Hubble and other powerful telescopes revealing a brand new world.

The mass, space and speed thing?, it's spell binding to me. The reason I say this is: as much as we know about our universe, it's as if we are just finding out how little we do know. Everything I write is total speculation, with very little theory and no fact. Professionals who do scientific papers at times must research the topic for years and then be very careful before comng to a conclusion lest their peers flog them. Not being a professional, I have only to (ideate) think a bit, and write it down. But, if one of my mad hatter ideas ever gives a single usable thought to someone, I'll be happy. Now tell me, what were you referring to with the: Yeh. Like your video thing?

Edited by rigney

No! Vacuum is the absence of a real thing, i.e. pressure.

Being ignorant leaves me many inroads to enlightenment, and if nothing else; simple conjecture. So, if vacuum is the absence of real things, why do we have so much of it? At this very moment scientists are looking at a universe filled with dark energy @ roughly 75%, or something like that?, and a dose of dark matter filling the remainder, other than a mere 5% left for physical matter to call home. I'm not trying to be argumentative or controversial, just inquisitive. Edited by rigney

A vacuum is (or isn't) a real thing in the same way that a hole is made of the dirt that's not in it.

No way can I argue the semantics of your expertise. A hole as a hole is a hole! But the void we think is there, what is it?

I think rigney has a point in this, while it's true that aether theory has been shown not to be accurate other theories do indeed sound very suggestive that space time and empty space is made of something whether it's the fabric of space time or the virtual particle foam of quantum mechanics, it sounds a lot like hair splitting to me...

yeh.I liked the video that you posted in your other thread.It is thought provoking,it works on the premise that there is no such thing as a vacuum.And as -moontanman- has pointed out some theories do sound very suggestive of some kind of fabric,quantum foam or medium.

Not that I understand the idea of a Higgs field in any depth,but does not its existence,seem to rely on a vacuum being more than just a vacuum?

When we talk about a vacuum,we should not be thinking of the meaning of the word "vacuum",but of the vacuum of space,which may or may not be?In which case we cannot call it a vacuum.Because something cannot be detected does not prove that nothing is there.

Edited by derek w

Ignorance is something I can accept, but willful ignorance is not. Ignorance can be remedied. Willful ignorance is just sad.

To steal ideas from a person is plagiarism. But to steal from many is called research.

Edited by rigney

A volume of space that is totally devoid of any matter would be an absolute vacuum, complete and totally empty space.

From a scientific point of view, the absolute vacuum, is a term of more philosophical than physical sense, as much as the terms of heaven or hell.

If by an absolute vacuum we understand, in the physical sense, any geometric space in which there is no matter, there is no energy, and any physical forces, then such a thing does not exist anywhere in the entire universe. Everywhere in the universe there is some matter (mean density of matter in the universe is 9.3 E-27 kg/m3), is a radiation, is a gravitational force, is a electrostatic or magnetic field.

Thus, considering the physical characteristics of an absolute vacuum, has rather little sense.

Edited by Bart

From a scientific point of view, the absolute vacuum, is a term of more philosophical than physical sense, as much as the terms of heaven or hell.

If by an absolute vacuum we understand, in the physical sense, any geometric space in which there is no matter, there is no energy, and any physical forces, then such a thing does not exist anywhere in the entire universe. Everywhere in the universe there is some matter (mean density of matter in the universe is 9.3 E-27 kg/m3), is a radiation, is a gravitational force, is a electrostatic or magnetic field.

Thus, considering the physical characteristics of an absolute vacuum, has rather little sense.

My concept from the get go. If a cube of metal, 1' x 1', with a 1" hole in its middle; could be vacuumed to absolute "0", the hole itself would disappear and collapse into nothingness. "Ether" to me is the vacuum of space, along with the tailings of many disasters thrown in. The "continuum" is space, and was here long before universal time began. Edited by rigney