What to buy, what to buy?

atinymonkey

What do I buy? A shiny new PC, all spiffy and prepped for half life2? Or a car?

You see, I have a PC that while old is still serving me well. A little 700mhz processor, a 128 graphics card and 20gb hard drive. Nothing special, you understand, just happily chugging away. It's willing, if not to play the top end games, at least try. However, HL2 is coming. I sat down with my PC and we had a long talk, and it explained that it just couldn't do it. Understandably I was distressed and decided that I probably need a new PC.

But hey, I also need a car. I don't have one you see, and it's a long cold winter to be standing waiting for a bus. On top of that, most of my friends live more than 50 miles from me so it's hard to visit them nowadays. I'd like to have a car, possibly with a little radio. I could even go get a job somewhere new and use my car to get there. The possiblitys are vast. Except the car won't play HL2, I checked it out.

Don't get me wrong, I can afford both and a widescreen whateverthehell besides. It's just I'm saving for a house, so only one thing can be bought at a time. HL2 is coming, but so is the snow.

What do I Do?

And more importantly, why am I asking the internet? :confused:

get the car, it`ll serve you better in the long term.

you can`t move house in a PC, visiting friends is much nicer in person than via a wire, and you can always have a car boot sale for unwanted junk to generate more revenue as opposed to EBay :)

"Wise is the man who freezes his ass off to enjoy Half-Life 2."

-Someone

"it's a long cold winter to be standing waiting for a bus."

Ooooh, cold winter in the UK? Does the temperature actually drop below zero? Is there actually going to be SNOW?! Oh my, you're all doomed. :)

Edit: And Valve probably screws something up again, and Half-Life is delayed about two years. *knocks the wood* :P

if you can afford the car get it... but remember that cars have a big running cost, which PCs dont have... although obviously the car would be more useful and practical, it will cost a lot more... but if you can afford the car, thats the more sensible choice.

if you have an xbox definatly get a car because half-life II is coming out on xbox or you could buy an xbox and car because xboxs now cost what £100 which is a hell of a lot cheaper the buying a new pc

Yes, but PCs have the advantage of being good.

Ah, the almighty car. I see the discussion is leaning towards a mobile monkey, which has to be better than the bus bound monkey.

I do have access to an Xbox, and own a PS2 already. But it's just not the same as a PC, plus I don't think HL2, Doom etc will be as good on the Xbox. It's just not as immersive or graphically scalable, plus HL2 has the juicy counterstrike and Mod goodness along with the PC.

Although 5614 makes a good point about running costs, which may veto out future PC plans. Perhaps I should PC myself up and wait a few months for the burden of car and car running costs.

Ooooh, cold winter in the UK? Does the temperature actually drop below zero? Is there actually going to be SNOW?! Oh my, you're all doomed. :)

Well, yes, quite. It's going to be a very cold winter this year by all accounts. I do see the point, a bit of snow then we all seem to get confused and the UK grinds to a halt. But I also fall over quite a bit when I walk in the snow, which isn't that much fun :D

I always cycle to school, 2km (so 4km/day), can't remember a winter without about a foot of snow. I always wear a fisherman's hat, though the cycling caused extra-freezing was rather nasty to my ears when it was -24 Celsius last winter. You wouldn't believe how hilarious consequences ensue when you drive your bike on solid ice, with a layer of water on it. Yipes.

"plus HL2 has the juicy counterstrike "

Counter-Strike = life. Or perhaps Counter-Strike > life. :)

i just got a brilliant idea. buy an automobile and then you could aqquire a higher paying job that is now out of your reach because you do not own an automobile. after some time you will have enough money to purchase a new pc machine and then exchange some uk currnecy for HL2. i also recommend that you purchase a volkswagon golf or jetti tdi (diesel) they will get 60 miles a gallon highway and are tough reliebale little automobiles. and that's how the cookie crumbles. mmmm cookies.