Bringing back extinct species.

blike

Do you guys think bringing back extinct species is a good idea, or bad idea.

Personally, I think its a good idea, as long as its limited and controlled. I can't say that I'm for repopulating africa with extinct species. There's a reason they went extinct, and bringing them back could disrupt the ecosystem.

As long as we're not reviving some form of ultra immune deadly bacteria, i'm all for it.

It could be a sport. If you think your a real hunter. Go hunt dinosaurs and not kill helpless animals.

Good idea with some, but they only have the mammoth, unless were talking about recently extinct. I think one day we will have too bring some back. Like the tiger, eagle (ofcourse, It will be U.S. law) and other animals who might be extinct in a hundred years.

I'd like to see a dodo in a zoo, even though they were nasty mean birds that tasted like shit. We couldn't reintroduce them to micronesia since their habitat is no olnger suitable. There still is the head of a dodo in a museum somewhere that has skin on it and bones with DNA.

I think it would be great if some of the bones from the LaBrea Tar Pits in California had usefull DNA. Mammoths and Smilodons would be great to see.

Just aman

I'm asuming you're not talking of very recently extinct species. taking genetic samples of populations wiped out by man so they can be recreated seems wise, but it might become an excuse for not conserving them now.

Pogo, reintroducing a species to an existing ecosystem isn't always a good idea even if it works, and rebuilding an entire ecosystem from scratch would be impossible (for now). The critters would be in zoos. Also, you'd need a lot of samples to create a wild breeding population instead of lots of clones.

genomics is going so fast that i doubt we'd learn much evolutionary history that we didn't already know.

In short, i think it's pointless for now, but it would benefit whoever did it.

In short, i think it's pointless for now, but it would benefit whoever did it.

There's always something to be learned; whether it be mating patterns, eating habits, vocalizations...

...though how much of this is learned by experience with a mother. Perhaps a mammoth raised by elephants would behave more like an elephant, than an ancient mammoth.

Well the main problem is getting a full genome in working order. The DNA in samples taken from skin or fur in a museum are all broken up into little fragments, so piecing it all together will take a long time and you really need a close living relative to compare it to. After you have the nuclear DNA you can insert it into an egg like dolly was cloned...but dinosaur and extinct bird eggs don't spring out of nowhere, and mammals will need to be carried by a similar sized close relative, which will have all kinds of immune system problems. In the distant future these problems will probably be solved by research in other areas. I read a magazine article a while ago on a team here that was trying to recreate a Thylacine, a dog sized marsupial carnivore wiped out early this century. They were still in the very early stages of contructing the genome.

Originally posted by Giles

I'm asuming you're not talking of very recently extinct species. taking genetic samples of populations wiped out by man so they can be recreated seems wise, but it might become an excuse for not conserving them now.

I can see how the "don't worry, we'll always be able to fix it afterwards" excuse might preclude conservation attempts, but surely cloning a viable population back into existence will always be more difficult than conserving one that already exists.

Stupid humans and their short-term gains philosophy :mad:

Thanks for the link Pogo, if I weren't moving a thousand miles tomorrow I'd read into it more lol...

I think the biggest ethical problem is from an ecological standpoint. The thylacine still has fairly untouched habitat it could be located in with minimal ecological impact, part of the reason it is a viable project. Many species that existed long ago no longer have any place in the world though, dinosaurs biology might make survival hard enough, but they certainly don't have a remaining ecological niche. Many species that have gone extinct would be hard to bring back unless we recreate an environment they can live in. This includes many species that have become extinct recently, by our hand.

Honestly... funniest frickin thing I have ever seen!!! lol hahahaha :haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha::haha: :haha:

Bringing back extinct species doesnt just have to be done by cloning.

A number of expeditions to Siberia have been made in an attempt to find the frozen remains of a mammoth from which frozen sperm can be extracted.

The idea is to then impregnate cow elephants and through selective breeding bring back the mammoth.

I think its a great idea, and to hell with any ecological disruption.

:)

The sperm they freeze now they use liquid N shortly after collection. It's very fragile. It would be a very rare set of circumstances that might make this naturally possible in the arctic but I wouldn't count on it.

Just aman