Why run from the police?

NavajoEverclear

It always was and still is a stupid thing. Just as driving drunk is stupid. Many people so it with no problems, but when something goes wrong, it is very bad.

Not being self rightous here, I did stupid stuff as a teen also, just saying it is stupid even if you get away with it.

What the hell? I never did crap like that. I mean, I speed all the time, but I've never had a cop pull his lights on me.

Speaking of which... what's with speed limits? They must be made for old people b/c I consistantly drive at 80-90 in 50 k/h zones and never gotten into a speed related accident...when you are attentive and follow every other law to the letter, speed really is not an issue.

Speaking of which... what's with speed limits? They must be made for old people b/c I consistantly drive at 80-90 in 50 k/h zones and never gotten into a speed related accident...when you are attentive and follow every other law to the letter, speed really is not an issue.
Ah, but you are talking about ideal conditions, with no idiots around. I think most speed limits are figuring some kind of average traffic circumstances. We all know, for example, you can generally corner faster than the advisory signs tell us (in the US, about 15mph faster), but what if the weather is bad or the traffic is heavy, etc. We always forget there may be some idiot who overreacts or underestimates their own abilities while driving.

Where I think this lapse of judgement is most dangerous is in highway driving in moderate to heavy traffic. Here in the States it's not uncommon to see many cars driving 65-70 mph with only 1-2 car-lengths seperating them. Reaction time is sufficient if someone ahead simply slows down, but if they have to really slam on the brakes I can guarantee there will be an accident. I see "accordion" collisions on the news every week, 10+ cars all jammed together.

even if you get away with it.

No. Only when you get caught!

Just as driving drunk is stupid.

While I never tried to say it was a smart thing, i have to disagree with this. Drunk driving is extremely stupid, much more so then running from cops for sport. Also, check highway death statistics, I'll bet you find the most people die while sober, following the speed limits. Why? simple, there is more sober, law abiding citizen then there are drunk, speeding ones. If there wasn't why would we have law to begin with?

But basically, since more people die from driving sober, I think we should also make this illegal, and conclude that driving responsibly and sober is also stupid.

From what I understand about speed limits, they try to judge them for rather large, top heavy vehicles. If a semi can take a turn at 35 mph safely, so should any other vehicle.

Although I think the speed limit should vary as well. For instance, it is not fair to force me to comply with a 35 mph corner speed limit, when I can easily, safely, and just damn smoothly come rolling through that same turn at 80mph on my bike, in a fractional portion of my lane. I'd even be willing to pay more for a high speed drivers license. Speed should be limited only at the ability of the driver and vehicle. A 1968 GMC pickup should not be allowed to go over 55mph, whereas a 04 Lancer Evolution should be allowed to travel over 55, within reason of course.

Also, check highway death statistics, I'll bet you find the most people die while sober, following the speed limits. Why? simple, there is more sober, law abiding citizen then there are drunk, speeding ones. If there wasn't why would we have law to begin with?

Which makes it a fairly useless comparison.

A higher proportion of drink drivers are killed or cause fatalities during accidents than sober drivers - that is the important part.

Although I think the speed limit should vary as well. For instance, it is not fair to force me to comply with a 35 mph corner speed limit, when I can easily, safely, and just damn smoothly come rolling through that same turn at 80mph on my bike, in a fractional portion of my lane. I'd even be willing to pay more for a high speed drivers license. Speed should be limited only at the ability of the driver and vehicle. A 1968 GMC pickup should not be allowed to go over 55mph, whereas a 04 Lancer Evolution should be allowed to travel over 55, within reason of course.

i think that may cause massive amounts of road rage. think about it: you can go 65mph on acertain road, but you are stuck behind a vehicle that can only go 30mph.

I'll bet you find the most people die while sober, following the speed limits. Why? simple, there is more sober, law abiding citizen then there are drunk, speeding ones.

But if you actually look, you'll see that something like 41% of motor vehicle fatalities involved alcohol in 2002. 41%.

But basically, since more people die from driving sober, I think we should also make this illegal, and conclude that driving responsibly and sober is also stupid.

I think you'll see that other factors are involved while driving sober (cell phones, food, makeup, passangers, etc.).

right, It all comes down to driving while stupid. Get in a wreck cause your drinking and driving, stupid. Get in a wreck talking on a cell phone, putting on makeup, stupidity. And lets not forget the most extremely stupid thing I've seen on the road (next to drinking), reading a news paper WHILE DRIVING. When you get right down to it, all accident problems are a result of driving while stupid.

Which is why it needs to be harder to get a drivers license.