Which door should you take?

TonyMcC

This is an old puzzle, but if you haven't seen it before it should make you think.

You stand before two identical doors. On door leads to a long and rewarding life, the other door leads to sudden death.

Before each door is a guardian who, if you ask him the correct question will tell you which door to take.

However one guardian always lies and the other always tells the truth. You don't know which one lies.

You are only allowed one question. You walk up to a guardian and ask him the one question you are allowed and he tells you which door to take.

What is your question?

No. You take the other door.

If you can only take the door that the guardian answers with, you need to ask "What would the other guardian's answer be to the question 'What door would leads to sudden death'?"

No. You take the other door.

If you can only take the door that the guardian answers with, you need to ask "What would the other guardian's answer be to the question 'What door would leads to sudden death'?"

:D

I may be wrong here but i would ask the guardian to reveal whats behind the door he guards. And see for you'r self. If not than i suppose i would ask the guard what door would lead me to hell and then take the oppisite door. so if hes telling the truth i avoid death and if hes lieng i still pick the oppisite and live. Am i right?

so you ask the guard, what door would the other guard say is the door of death. Then take the oppisite door, either way should lead you to the door of life..

You just died! But you are on the right track.

Edited by TonyMcC

Sure about that?

Anyway.

Push both guards through their respective doors. Go through the door without screams.

Ask either guard which door the other guard says leads to sudden death. Take that door (not the opposite door).

I forgot to tell you the two guards were sumo wrestlers armed with machine guns lol.

Edited by TonyMcC

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know why this makes me think of the phrase "Ugh! I hate beer"?

Maybe one time you got drunk off of a few bud-lights, were captured by an evil overlord with access to sumo wrestlers with M16s, a penchant for thought games, a door that was capable of killing anyone that passes through it, and its not-as-cool-as-the-death-door-twin, and escaped?

Edited by A Tripolation

• 5 months later...

I just went up to one of the guards and asked him if the other guard would say that he believed any of the alternative solutions would work and he said "Yes, all of them". lol

Edited by TonyMcC

For a slightly stricter question:

Assume you in fact only have one guard, not two. This guard either always tells the truth or always lies. What question could you ask him to find out which door to take?

=Uncool-

if you go against your nature would you recommend going through this door if I wanted a nice continued life? - and do opposite

Heh. That's a little more convoluted than necessary. Can you figure out a simpler question?

=Uncool-

Simple .. you ask one to ask his friend About the wrong answer .. in any order, it'll be a lie .. it's most similar to Logic Gates.

Trying to identify the liar among them is also easy, after knowing the "truth", you simply ask one of them.