Why can't I post politics??????

Ignatiev

so I cam here and tried to post in politics and it's NOT WORKING. do you have some liberal elite who can post in politics? that is WRONG

just tonight I found out obama has not even met the CEO of BP and THE LAW says he is responsible for cleaning up the oil spill, not BP and there is a $75 mil limit on the money BP should spend at which point it's OBAMA whould should clean up the oil and OBAMA is not doing anything and this is a huge problem.

but I guess there are a bunch of liberal elites here who do not want to talk about these topics

You need just 30 posts and 3 weeks as a member to qualify for some of the non-science areas. This is to keep people from joining just to talk about Politics and Religion. This is a science forum, so we want science-minded folks.

Sorry if that seems elitist to you, but there are lots of political sites out there. We have a special one that focuses on politics with a stricter methodology to our discussions, and we like it like that.

just tonight I found out obama has not even met the CEO of BP and THE LAW says he is responsible for cleaning up the oil spill, not BP and there is a $75 mil limit on the money BP should spend at which point it's OBAMA whould should clean up the oil and OBAMA is not doing anything and this is a huge problem.

Incidentally, the $75 million cap is not on how much they should spend on cleaning up the oil, but how much they are liable for in damages. They have to spend their own money to clean up, and when they're sued for damages by the folks who have lost their jobs, they're liable for $75m.

so I cam here and tried to post in politics and it's NOT WORKING. do you have some liberal elite who can post in politics? that is WRONG
but I guess there are a bunch of liberal elites here who do not want to talk about these topics

Think about this for a moment. Rather than using the site's search function to see if there are restrictions for posting, you automatically jump to a conspiracy perpetrated by the evil godless liberals. Did you even peruse the forum prior to making your hypthesis that only the 'liberal elite' can post on this site? I don't think so, as had you done so, you'd see that we have quite a few(including the Politics moderator) conservatives.

It seems to me that you may not be mature enough to post in politics. I'm not staff, but I've been around long enough to know pretty much how they work. You show up accusing us(and climate scientists) of dasterdly conspiracies without doing any research. We do, on occasion, bend the restrictions for new users who show interest in the politics section who also show that they are mature enough to discuss politics, but I fear that you've excluded yourself from such rule bending with this thread.

By the general sense of your post, I think I should explicitly say this, since you may not infer it(you may actually do the opposite). My thoughts here are NOT based on whether or not you're a liberal, conservative, or moderate; they're based on your posting behaviour.

In case you're wondering, we also have restrictions for the religion section.

These restrictions are here for a reason. People, in the past, have joined only to discuss politics and/or religion rather than science. While this is a science discussion forum, having a few users posting mainly in non-science areas would not be too bad were they able to do so civilly. Unfortunately, these people(and many other people who do post in politics and religion) are not able to do so civilly. It can be tough at times, since politics and religion tend to lend toward heated discussions since they both usually involve people dedicated to their views.

We encourage people to argue against the ideas rather than the people presenting them. We do, in fact, have rules and etiquette guidelines which you agreed to follow by joining the site. If you have any questions, comments, or conspiracy theories, feel free to contact a staff member.

I've read you're posts, and it seems to me, that you're not the kind of user that would be productive in the politics section at the moment. Perhaps you'll mature after a while(I sure did over my time here) and demonstrate the ability to discuss these issues civilly and logically, and I hope you do. Note that this is not a requirement to post in the section(although repeated hostility may get you removed from the politics usergroup), but it is a requirement to post in it prior to meeting the restrictions.

By all means, prove me wrong. I genuinely hope you're the type of person who can positively contribute to the politics section. It's great to have a new opinion. Or you can completely disregard this post and go nuts after you meet the restrictions, however, I don't reccomend that as it may end up with you being removed from the politics usergroup.

Do you have any sources for this? I don't know about oil rigs, but if there is a spill from a ship, the ship's captain is personally responsible for the damages caused. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be similar for spills from oil rigs.

Closing this in GD, as this is a politics thread. The OP is welcome to join in, once s/he has surpassed the liberal threshold of 30 posts and the elite status of 10 days membership.

Edited by Cap'n Refsmmat
10 days, not 30 days