IRC Chat (and how to use it)

Dave

Hey ho people, it's that blatent IRC plug again :D This post is a short summary/rip of my earlier post that I made a while ago to help people get onto IRC and get all you science people chatting. There's been a bit of talk in the moderator section about this, and we've decided to use my IRC server for the time being - that is, until something better turns up.

For those who know what I'm talking about, here are the connection details:

Server: irc.blackcobalt.net (standard port 6667)

Channel: #sfn

However, for those unfamiliar to IRC, it's not all that complex. Before I say anything else, IRC stands for "Internet Relay Chat", so I think you can work out what its use is. An IRC network comprises of a number of servers that are linked together. You choose a nickname, and join one or more channels on the network to talk to other people with. It's a little more complex than that, but that's all you really need to know.

The network we're on at the moment (blackcobalt.net) runs a nickname and channel management system. Basically, it enables you to register a particular nicknames and channels as being used so that other people can't steal them. It's completely optional, but I suggest if you're gonna come on there a lot, you register your nickname. So that the services know you are who you say you are, you choose a password, and identify for that nickname when you connect to the network. More on that in a minute.

First, let's get you connected. If you have Windows, I suggest you go to http://www.mirc.com/ and grab yourself a copy of mIRC. This is an IRC client that will allow you to connect to a server. There are others, but this is a good one for beginners. You'll need to change a few options on there (such as choosing a nickname), but it's all fairly straightforward. There's a lot of guides out there, please have a look first! In the main server console, you can just type /server irc.blackcobalt.net to connect to the server.

A little more about IRC technical stuff; to join channels and private message people, you have to use a command. Commands always begin with a "/", and can accept various parameters; they also have pretty intuitive names. For example, "/join #sfn" will make you join the channel #sfn, "/nick asdasd" will change your nickname to asdasd, and so on. (Also note that all channel names are preceeded by # - for example, #asd2, #sfn, #blackcobalt, etc).

If it tells you that your nickname is in use, you'll need to change it. If you get a message from NickServ (the nickname service) that this nickname is registered, you'll need to find another nickname to use. You can change nicks with /nick <newnick> - leaving out the < and the >. When you're connected, type /join #sfn to join our channel.

Services

To register your nickname, type: /msg nickserv register <password> <e-mail address> (without using the < and >). To identify for a nickname when you've registered it, type: /msg nickserv identify password - obviously you need to replace "password" with the password you've chosen.

If you do have any other issues, I should be around for a fair amount of time, and you can always join #blackcobalt which is our support channel. I hope you have a fun time, and PLEASE make sure you at least give it a go and spread the word.

Cheers :)

Glad it's all working out and the bot is still running. I've just got back from Ireland on holiday, so I'm a bit out of touch, but if you all have problems or whatever, give me a shout or post here.

Oh, something else:

If, like me, you use more than one nick, it's pretty easy to "link" those other nicks into the one you're currently registered under - assuming, of course, you've registered your existing nick like you should do and the ones you want aren't already registered.

Just type /ns link nicknameofyourchoice and you should link that nick to yourself. The advantages are:

1) You can ident for any one of your nicks using the same password.

2) If you have an access list of recognisable hosts, they work on all of those nicks.

3) If you're an AOP/SOP in a channel, you don't have to change nicks to get the aop/sop.

Just remember they expire after 30 days if you don't use them.

Hope this helps people :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...