Latest "Bushism" says it all

Phi for All

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." George W. Bush, at the signing ceremony for a $417 billion defense spending bill, 8/5/04.

dude. bush is a frickin president of USA. I except someone of this stature to make very little mistakes. Consider Blair for example. he makes tons of speeches and gives loads of press conferences but i have never heard him make a slip up.

Yay!

Go sayonara!

The only reason Kerry doesn't have very many of those is because he hardly makes as many speeches as Bush does.

Plus Bush has a press corp dedicated to him.

Do the math. In his political career, Kerry has given many times more speeches than Bush has. I can guarantee there won't be a dozen websites devoted to "Kerryisms" if he's elected.

I may not have liked Clinton's giveaway of the country's media, but that man was a masterful speaker. As bloodhound says, Bush is the president of the US. We expect him to sound more educated than some backward, inbred, hill-dweller who's family name got him through school.

I respect and love my country and I respect the office of the president of the United States. The way an adult taxpayer does, not like a four-year-old child who's love and respect is completely unconditional.

That was beneath you, jordan. IMO, you sound like a child yourself when you make a rash conclusion like that. I've always found you to be very well-spoken and logical yourself. I realize you have the time to type your responses and Bush does not, but I never suggested an intelligence comparison between myself and the president.

I'm sorry if it offends your platform views to have Bush's speeches picked apart. I'm never concerned with his misspeaks that are obviously grammatical errors like, "This has been tough weeks in that country." That is the type of thing that can happen to anyone. I'm a little more firghtened when he misuses the language entirely, forgetting the word "disgusted" and substituting, "Like you, I have been disgraced about what I've seen on TV that took place in prison." These make him and all Americans look bad all over the world.

What really bothers me is when he says things like the one yesterday, where he is clearly not listening to what he is saying. "He married a Texas girl, I want you to know. Karyn is with us. A West Texas girl, just like me." "This very week in 1989, there were protests in East Berlin and in Leipzig. By the end of that year, every communist dictatorship in Central America had collapsed." This, to me, is a sign of someone who has no idea what they are talking about. They've heard someone else spout off the facts and they regurgitate them badly, passing it off as their own wisdom.

When it is so obvious that the president of the US could have the very best speech writers at his disposal, the latest teleprompter technology and other help with his public addresses, it pains me to see that he is obviously turning them all down. Can he be bothered to rehearse his speeches as past presidents have done? Can he read from a teleprompter? Can he read from a piece of paper? And don't point to the fact that many of his speeches are impromptu, because the signing of the military budget yesterday was NOT exactly unforseen.

I will admit I was biased about Bush's intelligence from the outset when I heard that he refused to read reports given him by staff and demanded "Cliff Notes" versions of everything. Clinton, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon, all were avid readers who insisted on as much info as they could get because they could all speak from an informed point of view. I think Bush hides a vast repository of illiteracy behind that smirk of his, supremely confident that his family wealth and personal power can overcome any and all shortcomings.

This, to me, is a sign of someone who has no idea what they are talking about. They've heard someone else spout off the facts and they regurgitate them badly, passing it off as their own wisdom.

Thank you. That was what I was looking for.

Ok. You misunderstimated me. I'm a horrible public speaker. HORRIBLE. At least here I have time to think out what I'm going to say but when I'm in front of people (even if it's a prepared speach) I freeze. Bush seems to do the same. I wanted to know why that means he's dumb or can't run the country. You gave me a good answer, as I quoted. Like I said, "That was what I was looking for".

:) Sorry, I guess I was trying to, like, think beyond the immediate.

But what you and the Cap'n are talking about is a kind of stage fright, something that goes away (maybe never totally) the more exposure you get and the more confident you are. Bush has never lacked confidence when it comes to speaking publicly. In fact he seems to have convinced his cabinet that he doesn't need any help in order to speak in public.