any good quotes?

jake.com

• 2 weeks later...

"Ants are so much like human beings as to be an embarrassment. They farm fungi, raise aphids as livestock, capture slaves, launch armies into war, engage in child labor, exchange information ceaselessly. They do everything but watch television."

Lewis Thomas; American doctor, poet and science writer

• 1 year later...

When asked....

"Why is the ocean salty?"

"Snookie", of Jersey Shore Fame replied

"I hate the ocean. It's all whale sperm. Everybody Google it. That's why the water is salty. From the f---ing whale sperm."

I wonder how she knows whale sperm is salty?

Edited by Moontanman

From Nick Longworth, onetime Ohio Republican Speaker of the House:

"One particular famous retort is told about Longworth. One day, while lounging in a chair at the Capitol, another member of the House ran his hand over Longworth's bald pate and commented, "Nice and smooth. Feels just like my wife's bottom." Longworth felt his own head and returned an answer: "Yes, so it does.""

From dragonstar57 today in the thread "can we assume children are all all stupid ? ". (Sorry - I don't know how to link to it.)

experience if formed by experiencing. you have no experience of that you have not experienced therefore you will all ways have no experience the first time you do anything

• 3 weeks later...

my favourites:

You build little worlds, little stories, little shells around your mind and that keeps infinity at bay and allows you to wake up in the morning without screaming!

– A Hat Full of Sky

SOME PEOPLE WILL DO ANYTHING FOR THE SHEER FASCINATION OF DOING IT, said Death. OR FOR FAME. OR BECAUSE THEY SHOULDN'T.

– Hogfather

HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

– Hogfather

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

– Lords and Ladies

all by Terry Pratchett

I enjoy Winston Churchill's retort when being told (by a woman) that he was drunk: And you, madam, are ugly. But tomorrow I shall be sober.

And General John Sedgewick, at the Battle of Spotsylvania: They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist…

• 3 weeks later...

anybody have any good quotes from some important people? I like whipping out quotes to prove points, but every once and a while i draw a blank.

‎"The best way to investigate the elusive phenomenon called the creative process may well be to target all the misconceptions, to explain what the creative process is not."

Lukas Foss