I for one am FED UP with the evermore INVASIVE efforts against our PRIVACY

dr.syntax

Young people nowdays seem to take it for granted that Governmental and private entities of ANY sort nave some RIGHT to gather as much information as they can aquire about you for any purpose they may wish to.

Not really, many of us are quite peeved about it. But, we're also lazy.

What has happened to: THE LAND OF THE FREE AND THE HOME OF THE BRAVE

Ha ha, being from Paraguay I certainly feel the same way. On the other hand, there was rampant crime and corruption too, but I don't think those are necessarily the result of freedom.

Some things are worth fighting for. I believe very strongly in the importance of privacy. With all the right wing nuts out there trying to bully the rest of us into some sexless, joyless lifestyle, the time is past due to resist and fight back. It`s the way I am and I would not want to be any other way.
dr.syntax, if you're so concerned, do us all a favor. Close your browser and never open it again.

I for one, thank him for his efforts to protect privacy, which to a small extent also benefit all of us. I'd say keep doing what you're doing, vote with your feet and remember that most people/stores do not have the right to require your information nor are you required to give them your (accurate) information.

I was being serious; it's the only way to maintain your privacy. If he's so concerned, he needs to live off the grid(no computer, no cell phone, no credit card, etc).

It is not obligatory to use the programs which have license agreements.

REPLY: If you were being serious, what does " do us all a favor and close your browser and never open it again"supposed to mean. How is it that would be doing us all a favor ?

Who exactly is this us all you refer to ? Just because you and a few others here do not like me does not mean no one does. What if I said exactly what you said to me ,unprovoked and such. How do you think you would feel about it ? Do you think that a man such as me would seriously consider closing my browser and never open it again because the likes of you disagrees with me and suggests to me I do so ? That will never happen. ...DS

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Not really, many of us are quite peeved about it. But, we're also lazy.

Ha ha, being from Paraguay I certainly feel the same way. On the other hand, there was rampant crime and corruption too, but I don't think those are necessarily the result of freedom.

I for one, thank him for his efforts to protect privacy, which to a small extent also benefit all of us. I'd say keep doing what you're doing, vote with your feet and remember that most people/stores do not have the right to require your information nor are you required to give them your (accurate) information.

Hello my friend, I truly do appreciate your support on this issue. I am amazed at some of the hostility that came my way by some few of the responders. I naively assumed the consensus would strongly support my position. I cannot imagine why anyone would want anyone snooping into their affairs,compiling dossiers about their lives.This is precisely what all the tyrannical, despotical regimes of the past and present do. Nazi Germany,Stalinist Russia, North Korea, Theocratic Iran and others were or are obsessed with gathering any information they can about their citizens. They also very much encourage spying and snooping on each other. This is exactly what I see going on here in the U.S.A. and it all seems quite acceptable to many here in this forum.

This was not at all true when I was growing up in the 1950s and 1960s. Snooping into other people`s affairs could result in a well deserved ass kicking back then. It was something you did not due. From reading some of the responses in this thread and the practice is so widespread on the internet and really every public area you go to there is some camera there recording everything you say or do. The lack of concern astounds me.

I could go on , but feel I have made my point. Your Friend, ...Dr.Syntax

Edited by dr.syntax
Consecutive posts merged.

I think dr.syntax has a valid point. It isn't just a case of "Close your browser and never open it again" since many modern services are required in order to live a normal life. We are assumed to be able (and want) to use these things, so no provision is give to those who can't or won't. Before the modern internet, your privacy was protected but you were still able to function as a member of society. Increasingly we are finding that if we want to preserve our privacy, we are not allowed to take part.

Incidentally, and somewhat off topic, is your title next to your name a reference to that game my nephews have been annoying me with all week, where you try not to think about a certain topic, and if you do think of it you have to say "I lost the game"?

Incidentally, and somewhat off topic, is your title next to your name a reference to that game my nephews have been annoying me with all week, where you try not to think about a certain topic, and if you do think of it you have to say "I lost the game"?

Yes

Some facts (objective)

-EU governments have created laws that say that pretty much any data (up or download) must be stored in a databank for up to 1 year. Every message I type, every sms I write, every phone call I make. It's all stored for 1 year.

-The railroads/buses and all other public transportation services in the Netherlands have a new card which you can charge. You use it to check in and out when you enter the system. This information is stored for 7 years.

-Cameras have been installed on motorways recording license plates of all cars passing. No idea how long the data is stored.

-It is mandatory to carry identification at all times for everyone above 14 in the Netherlands.

-Criminals must give their DNA.

Opinion (subjective)

Why?

To improve the service of a railroad, you need statistics. You don't need to know if it was Harry or Jack who entered the train, you just need to know how many people (on average) went from A to B.

Since data is stored, many innocent people were arrested. Our secret service and police have had to release (almost?) every terrorist they caught because there was too little evidence. Our country was safe also without these systems.

I have no problem with the recording of the data itself - I have a very big problem however with all the money and effort spent on these systems. They cost billions of euros. And my country is already pretty safe. And incidents can always happen.

The biggest risk is some disease, probably some typical old age disease. Why aren't these billions spent on that? If you want to increase safety and security, then spend money on getting a better network of ambulances and fire departments. Give all medicine students a scholarship to encourage this study. Give hospitals some more money for better equipment and more people.

It's not the data being stored that worries me - I have truly nothing to hide - it's the pointlessness of it. It's just not cost-effective.

Edited by CaptainPanic

[

It's not the data being stored that worries me - I have truly nothing to hide - it's the pointlessness of it. It's just not cost-effective.

Surely the government wouldn't waste billions for no reason? Perhaps this is another case where they have some hidden agenda they are not telling us about.

Being fair to them though, they did spend billions on the NHS as promised, however it was SO poorly mismanaged and wated that the effects haven't really been noticed. It would be laughable if it weren't a crying a matter.

Surely the government wouldn't waste billions for no reason? Perhaps this is another case where they have some hidden agenda they are not telling us about.

Being fair to them though, they did spend billions on the NHS as promised, however it was SO poorly mismanaged and wated that the effects haven't really been noticed. It would be laughable if it weren't a crying a matter.

The government would most definitely spend billions if it generates votes!

People have been screaming for "security" and "safety" for years now. Ever since people got unrealistically scared of terrorism it has been the average citizen of Western countries (not the governments) that was asking for security.

So, in order to gain votes, the governments gave people what they want. Only recently the debate about privacy started, because it happens to be that the best way to fight terrorism is by monitoring all the people. (That's actually true - it works, though I think it's just not worth it).

The government would most definitely spend billions if it generates votes!

People have been screaming for "security" and "safety" for years now. Ever since people got unrealistically scared of terrorism it has been the average citizen of Western countries (not the governments) that was asking for security.

So, in order to gain votes, the governments gave people what they want. Only recently the debate about privacy started, because it happens to be that the best way to fight terrorism is by monitoring all the people. (That's actually true - it works, though I think it's just not worth it).

REPLY: Benjamin Franklin quote: " Those who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" unquote. I think Mr.Franklin would agree with you: " it`s not worth it." ...Dr.Syntax