Hacking...

Crash

well sort of, but thats what ive been charged with at school...so i will have alot more time on my hands to whore the forums.....

I gets suspended...along with never being allowed to touch a computer in the school again.....PLUS 5000$ repair bill can ya believe it!

pi$$ing me off, all i did was install a keylogger, disabled the antivirus software adn created a batch file to load it onto everycomputer every time new ones start up, set up an ftp to route all the info to my email everytime they go online.... and made the files hidden and deleted all the stuuf off my comp to hide me tracks, but they had everything logged on a linux server..

Do you really think i deserve the punishment i am givin?

oh yea i said a few abusive things to the teach aswell in the logger....

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must have known at the time that you were making unauthorised and possibly harmful (whether intentional or not) changes to somebody else's system, so you shouldn't be too surprised that there are consequences.

Then there's the fact that you were trying to log strokes from everyone and have the information sent to you, which won't fill the people around you with confidence that you can be trusted near any machine ever again (as well as being a massive invasion of privacy and probably a breach of your school's information security policies, which I guarantee you they will have).

Wtf did you think would happen?

I don't think that's very funny. With the number of threats to the safe ownership of private information at the moment encouraging that kind of lack of respect for boundaries is pretty irresponsible.

With a key logger deployed on the school network, he'd have access to any personal details typed in by faculty staff (be it their online banking details, or confidential information about other students), academic systems passwords, school requisitions data and so on.

"It's not big and it's not clever" springs to mind, especially considering the apparent surprise at being caught. Network Administrators in "know what they're doing better than the script kiddie" shocker shouldn't really come as a great shock to anyone.

he`s Soooooo BUSTED now anyway, may as well have gone for a biggy :)

"in for a penny in for a pound" and all that.

YT waves his `Crash` flag, Go Crashy, Go Crashy, Go... LOL :))

[disclaimer] I in no way endorse this type of activity, it`s just downright naughty and anti-social, I agree with Sayo in reality about this issue, but the damage is done, and hopefully lessons are learned, I`m not laughing with you, I`m laughing AT you. Crash, stick to Chemistry dude, it`s safer! :)

and made the files hidden and deleted all the stuuf off my comp to hide me tracks

Seems you were asking to be caught if that's all you did to cover up. You're sessions would have been logged and as soon as you start chucking batch files on the LAN your gonna get rumbled.

Seems to be a pretty dumb thing to do TBH. I'm suprised you've not been expelled as you have threatened the security and confidence of the entire network.

Not a good thing to do at all. What did you expect to achieve? Or was it just a "flexing of the not fully developed IT muscles"?

Good job you didn't try to take a server down or you might be bankrupt by now.

actualy, if they make you pay this, it`s because they`re making an example of you as a further deterant to other wannabes, I can`t help but feel a little sorry for you in that respect, I also don`t think you`ll get much sympathy from anyone either when you consider what COULD HAVE been done by someone else. personaly I don`t think you meant any harm and it was just something to do for a Buzz when lessons get boring (I can understand that), it was DUMB dude, universaly so!

lets hope they drop the charges and you get off with a sound telling off.

dumb dude, to the MAX! :(

I can't think of any legitimate reason for a non-admin to use a keystroke logger.

Oh, and sending the results over normal FTP would have been spectacularly easy to spot btw Crash, so don't resent the Unix server logs.

it's sad what can happen when one gets ambitious with computers. might i ask why you did it in the first place?

would it be accurate for me to answer for you stating: "because i felt like it"?

i know how you feel and im sorry this happened to you

This isn't something that "happened to him", it's something he did.

His objective was to illicitly collect information at the key-stroke level. He even describes deliberately taking measures to evade network security.

CRASH! What were you thinking! $5000 repair seems a bit much, but suspension should have definitely been expected. It's a serious thing you did. People could have accessed bank accounts or other personal accounts, and now you have access. The damage stems way beyond monitary!

Were you in college or highschool? How many years did you have left? Parents ready to kill you?

i know what keyloggers do; my question was why he wanted to do it

I was assuming you realised that none of the information he could gather belongs to him (in a moral or indeed legal sense), so we can safely assume it is "something naughty".

I can`t see Crash doing something beyond being a bit "Naughty" either, I could be wrong in assuming it was a "What if" experiment that went drasticly wrong, I`m also sure that if he was 1337 he would have known about the things that lead to his downfall an sought measures to prevent this (he obviously didn`t).

I don`t think for a second it was a mallicious attack, but probably nothing more that curiosity.

that`s my Personal Opinion anyway, and I`ll stand to be proven wrong there also :)

I could be wrong in assuming it was a "What if" experiment that went drasticly wrong

I agree with YT. It is usually a temptation to try and fool the administrator. I happens in my school also. There was a student who actually accessed solitaire and all the other games that we weren't allowed to access from the network. Of course, this isn't to as big as a scale as the one crash did (obviously because of the outcomes), but it lies in a similar category. To be honest with you guys, I was very close to doing it!