someone please help me..i am screwed

nemzy

..but if you own the copyright and claim you wrote it (legal). you could just say that any other place where it appears took it from you since copyright ownership applies originality.

Copyright ownership does not imply orginality. You can sell or transfer copyright ownership. Copyright of cartoons in the New Yorker magazine, for example, are owned by the magazine, but were created by the individual cartoonists.

would it be ok to use someone else's rough draft if you clearly state that it is their work and not yours?

but yeah, if you beg, you should bring along the friend who's work you used (assuming you didn't steal it without semi-permission, and assuming he is still your friend).

<edit>

How much of the original text do you have to change for it to not be plagerising?

all of it. there are stories that HS teachers tell us about people that got expelled for copying one sentence fragment without citing their source....

another question, what if it's 5 words in a row that are just a coincidence?

could one appeal saying that they did not plagiarize and that those 5 words were original, but coincidentally the same as someone else? i mean as long as the whole paper is not earily similar of course...

Just out of curiosity... I wonder how things would work if you turned in something that wasn't written by you, but you were the legal copyright holder for all rights with the work?

It's like the difference between owning the Mona Lisa, and claiming you painted it. They are different things. You could clam ownership, but not to be the original source. If you claim to be the original source, even if you own copyright, you are plagiarising.

In academia, when writing a paper, if I quote or refer to work I did previously, I still have to cite and reference the original source, even though I was the original source. It's not just about not stealing the work of others, it's about transparency; about being seen not to have stolen the work of others.

if it were me, I`de own up right away, explain that you understand that what you did was wrong and that you feel guilty about it. present your own paper, and accept your F. it`ll not get you out of trouble, but you`ll be satisfied knowing that you did the right thing :)