someone please help me..i am screwed

nemzy

hey...i am screwed for life...

i go to a UC and i got caught plagiarising on my english essay because i used my friends rough draft instead of my own, but the thing is its only the rough draft and the final draft is COMPLETELY different and in my own words, but still the proff turned it in to the board members and i got an automatic F for the class...

This is my first time and i am fed cause i had my whole mind set in going to medical school...i studied extremely hard my whole freshman and soph year and maintaned a GPA of 3.8...and now cause of that one class, it would effect my gpa tremendously, and not to mention the added bonus of plagiarism getting put into my permanent profile would defniately eliminate my chances of going to a med school no matter how high my gpa or how high my mcats are.....

how big is it if u plagiarise a rough draft??

im going to talk to them tomrorrow and i need to know what to say..thanks

well, according to the rules of the 2 universities i attended(and still are), plagiarising is an automatic failure and a kick out of the class. but they might persuse it further and possibly kick a student out of the school.......

it's a serious issue, so they take it very seriously

also, i think an issue such as this, will stick to one's academic record :-(

{edit: forgot to answer for question specifically}

plagiarism is plagiarism. it doesn't matter if it's a Doctoral Thesis or a homework.

So what can he do about it? Its not what he has done, remember!

that's a damn good question.

only 2 things that come to mind.

1) if he has some truly superb arguing/debating skills, to go and plead his case and hope & pray that the committee members will show leniency

2) if he has any body with sufficient power so that some strings could be pulled and this craptastic situation overturned

otherwise?......

no med school.

and if the committee decide to keep him in school, he most likely will be placed on an academic probation, which means any and i mean ANY deviations will cause him to be expelled from the current school.

plus there's the extra added bonus of having this for a long time(if not perminantly) on his academic record

and if the committee decide to keep him in school, he most likely will be placed on an academic probation, which means any and i mean ANY deviations will cause him to be expelled from the current school.

plus there's the extra added bonus of having this for a long time(if not perminantly) on his academic record

Man are they kind :(

now THAT is scary!

Man are they kind :(

now THAT is scary!

not really. it's more fair than not, actually.

suppose you've spent your whole life researching something and say you've finaly found the cure for AIDS and HIV and nobody else in the world knows what you know or has found what you found.

you woudln't want someone else to rip your rewards for you, or do you?

but then again, this is why they start grooming people in high school so that they don't make such mistakes in college

Well, he was firstly copying a draft only. Secondly, the final part of it was in his own words and was different. Don't u think they were a little harsh on accusing him of copying a draft? I agree that plagiarising is something that shouldn't be done, but a draft?

Well, he was firstly copying a draft only. Secondly, the final part of it was in his own words and was different. Don't u think they were a little harsh on accusing him of copying a draft? I agree that plagiarising is something that shouldn't be done, but a draft?

doesn't matter. even if there was just one sentence that they could trace to another paper or document and find it to be exactly the same, it's still plagiarism. :-(

i don't know. never been in that kind of spotlight b'4.

but then again, like i said in post 8, they start telling people in HS that this is a very serious offence, blaming it on ignorance may be out of the question. unless one was commatose for the majority of the HS years.

An F probably reflect the amount of effort put into the essay, so essentially it's quite fair.

I guess he could ask for a resubmission and write the best essay ever, to compensate. Actually, my advice would be to write a new essay anyway and present it in a very, very penitent manor. Even if they don't accept it, they will be more inclined to help increase the grade point average.

not really. it's more fair than not' date=' actually.

suppose you've spent your whole life researching something and say you've finaly found the cure for AIDS and HIV and nobody else in the world knows what you know or has found what you found.

you woudln't want someone else to rip your rewards for you, or do you?[/quote']

Also, you don't want physicians who are essentially unqualified for the job, because they surfed through college on someone else's work, treating patients.

Exactly. If you're lucky you'll only get an F on your transcript. Then you'd have to retake the class and do well. If you have a 3.8, one F in a nonscience class may be excused as long as you retook.

If you're unlucky, you'll get a FF on your transcript. This cannot ever be removed and will never be overlooked. It means "failure due to fraud". That will absolutely devistate your chances of getting in to medical school. What you need to do is accept resonsibility and show that you are sorry. DO NOT LIE. If they give you an F, so be it. You can retake it and hopefully do better and maybe medical schools will let one bad grade slide (especially if you do well when you retake). If they give you a FF, beg.

Just out of curiosity... I wonder how things would work if you turned in something that wasn't written by you, but you were the legal copyright holder for all rights with the work?

What circumstance do you envision would lead to that? It would mean either you paid someone for the copyright or the work was created as part of the normal course of their job, with you as the employer (i.e. a work for hire).

I don't see how either gets you around a rule saying you have to do original work.

Another example, a friend had to do a journal throughout a semester for a literature class. He did it, got great marks, yay. Next year he gets a similar assignment from a seperate teacher. He messes around a bit with his previous work, and hands it in, gets greats marks again, yay. It was his work, and he did makes some changes, but still seemed pretty dodgy.