National Boycott Gas Day

blike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We would be boycotting gas because the prices are so high recently, which leads me to beleive it wouldn't be today. The problem has just come up again recently now that people have become sick of complaining about the war and so I don't think taday would give everyone enough time to know and plan for it.

We had a petrol blockade a few years ago - they cause absolute chaos. It just goes to show that a small group of people can make their message heard just by blocking a few petrol tankers (admittedly, it was quite a few more than a few though).

And if you think your prices are high, you should come over here. The price of unleaded petrol as I was going past the garage a couple days ago was 81.9 pence/litre, which is bloody expensive.

We had a petrol blockade a few years ago - they cause absolute chaos. It just goes to show that a small group of people can make their message heard just by blocking a few petrol tankers (admittedly' date=' it was quite a few more than a few though).

[/quote']

Thats a better idea than boycotting gas, although would it work in the U.S.?

Capitalism will never foster research into truly efficient solar until they can find a way to charge you for sunlight.

I think gas/petrol will get so expensive that we'll be glad to pay for hydrogen cells. After California had its "manufactured" energy scare a few years back, I spoke with a guy in Arkansas whose natural gas bill went up 80% over four months. He sounded resigned instead of furious, and when I asked why, he said, "Well, at least it's not as bad here as California!"

I spoke with a guy in Arkansas whose natural gas bill went up 80% over four months. He sounded resigned instead of furious, and when I asked why, he said, "Well, at least it's not as bad here as California!"

I remember right before the war (Iraq) that the gas prices were right about where they are now (at least where I am).Whent the war started gas prices shot down a whole 20 cents (alot).The lowest I had seen in a several years.Now with the official war over for some time, the gas prices are shooting way back up again.Here its almost at one dollar!

What do you think of the work being done on hydrogen fuel cells?

That's just funny.

It will mean cleaner roads and cities, but realistically (in a competitive, widely-distributed market) it's not going to be cheaper energy.

That's just funny.

It will mean cleaner roads and cities' date=' but realistically (in a competitive, widely-distributed market) it's not going to be cheaper energy.[/quote']

I dont care about roads and cities I want cleaner air! ;)

Waaaay to much polution. :mad:

That's just funny.

It will mean cleaner roads and cities' date=' but realistically (in a competitive, widely-distributed market) it's not going to be cheaper energy.[/quote']In your opinion, where would the research money for alternative energy be best spent?

I dont care about roads and cities I want cleaner air!

Waaaay to much polution.

Wouldn't that be awesome if all that came out of the tail pipe of every car was water vaper (I believe that is the byproduct of hydrogen fuel). I have heard that hydrogen fuel cars are more expensive, like 250,000 dollars, or something like that. Didn't Swarchanager in California set up some sort of Hydrogen highway that has Hyrogen refueling stations all along it? And I think that I've heread that they are working on making the hydrogen car commercially marketable, something like by the year 2010. So we don't have to worry about this much for a while. But when it does come we will relize that it is more expensive. The car itself eill be more expensive, and as I understand it it costs a lot to refine the hydrogen fuel, and will cost more than gas. But eventually we will run out of gas, it takes millions of years to form.

Wouldn't that be awesome if all that came out of the tail pipe of every car was water vaper (I believe that is the byproduct of hydrogen fuel).

That's only true as long as you don't ask where the hydrogen came from. Since the answer to that is "fossil fuels," hydrogen doesn't actually solve any problems of fossil fuel consumption.

That's only true as long as you don't ask where the hydrogen came from. Since the answer to that is "fossil fuels," hydrogen doesn't actually solve any problems of fossil fuel consumption.

Yes but it helps the problem of mass polution.Especially haze.

In your opinion, where would the research money for alternative energy be best spent?

I think we had a thread on that a while ago - I'll try to dig it out for you.

[edit] Turns out that old thread wasn't very helpful. I'd favour a combined approach using as many renewables (biogas, hydroelectric, wind, wave, solar, geothermal etc) as possible. In an integrated approach they are worth the investment. A sensible nuclear program would help too.

Yes but it helps the problem of mass polution.Especially haze.

How is that, if you have to burn fossil fuels in order to get the hydrogen? Your pollution level is the same (or worse, because the efficiency of the processes isn't 100%)

How is that, if you have to burn fossil fuels in order to get the hydrogen? Your pollution level is the same (or worse, because the efficiency of the processes isn't 100%)

Yes but you dont need the fuel making plants right in the middle of a city.

Also burnig fossil fuels isnt the only was of obtaining hydrogen.The developers are now thinking of extracting it from water.