What would happen if you were teleported to pluto/sedna for 1/2ms.. then back

Nisou

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YT2095 gives tesseract a gold star and sends him to the top of the class :)

however I was replying to this:

So, if i stuck my hand in liquid nitrogen, for about a second, then pulled it out, nothing would happen???

if you put your hand in liquid nitrogen' date=' the liquid doesn`t even touch you, the heat of your hand creates a barrier of nitrogen gas as the liquid evaporates on contact :)

it`s quite safe for a second, maybe two, then it gets cold as too much heat is being removed from your hand, a flower will have this effect for a fraction of a second also, but it will start off at room temperature and has a greater surface area and less mass than your hand, hence crispies in seconds :)[/quote']

My dad did it by accident once (he put his finger in it); apparently your hand feels like it's burning because the heat is escaping from it so quickly.

My dad did it by accident once (he put his finger in it); apparently your hand feels like it's burning because the heat is escaping from it so quickly.

yeah, an ideal(fastest or one of) way to get severe frost bite w/o being trapped under a ton of snow or running around nakked in antarctica for a while

It's been there all along really - I can't think of a reason why you'd actually want to teleport yourself to a planet with no atmosphere and at the farthest reaches of the solar system with no pressure suit or oxygen.

I think the only way to know 100%(ish) would be to work out how fast air molecules at 1 atmosphere would move apart in a near perfect vacuum, and how far appart they would travel in 1 ms.

then work that out to the nearest quantity and type of explosive that would create the same effect here on Earth, from that you could calculate the "survivability" factor.

something like a Fuel Air explosion at either end of a train tunnel would be my guess.

I think the only way to know 100%(ish) would be to work out how fast air molecules at 1 atmosphere would move apart in a near perfect vacuum' date=' and how far appart they would travel in 1 ms.

then work that out to the nearest quantity and type of explosive that would create the same effect here on Earth, from that you could calculate the "survivability" factor.

something like a Fuel Air explosion at either end of a train tunnel would be my guess.[/quote']

To know whether someone would explode? You could also look at people who have actually been exposed to vacuum, and notice that they didn't explode.

the vacuum in this instance would be off a different nature with regards to it`s onset.

it would indeed be Explosive decompression.

anyway, I wasn`t on about blowing someone up, I was on about re-creating the effect here using Known materials that we CAN calculate :)

yup, and the crux was also when he stated "and back again" so the recompression to work with too.

well like all wave front propogation with an explosion, there`s always 2, one leaving and one returning it`s basic hydrodynamics. and so an FAE at the end of a tunnel will evecuate the air very quickly, but the return will re compress it again, I`m sure a basic resonant tuned model could be done to simulate this effect (on paper of course) :))

I don't think you'd get an explosion, per se, for a gas, because the relevant effect is diffusion. Any given molecule doesn't "know" if it's in a gas at atmosphere or in a vacuum. It just travels and maybe undergoes a collision after a bit. The trend is to diffuse from high density to low density - the effect is nowhere near instantaneous. When you vent a vacuum system to atmosphere it takes a while, depending on the size of the hole you've made, for the system to equilibrate.

Your body is mostly water, the coefficient of expansion for water is really, really small, and it's only a 1 atm difference in pressure. Diving to 30 ft doesn't crush you for similar reasons.

But water boils spontaneously in a vacuum.

i wasn't aware of anybody who did that. care to cite your sources?

The cosmonauts of Soyuz 11 died after a valve inadvertently vented their capsule. They were not wearing spacesuits, and died of asphyxiation. They did not explode.

Also a NASA employee was accidentally exposed to very low pressure. He felt the water on his tongue boil as he lost consciousness. Here is what NASA has to say on the subject.

I can't for the life of me remember who actually did this attempt, but I think it must have been the world's highest balloon flight. There was a problem with the guy's pressure suit around one of his hands, and as a result it caused blood to start pooling in his hand (obviously due to the low pressure at very high altitudes).

Just so you know :)

I`m just guessing here and maybe perfectly wrong, but I would imagine that the "Boiling" per se due to the vavor pressure on the water created by the vacuum, would be equaly tempered with the freezing cold temps and would more than likely freeze as a fine mist at 1`st and then deeper tissues would just freeze as normal as the corpse developed a crust? :)

I`m just guessing here and maybe perfectly wrong, but I would imagine that the "Boiling" per se due to the vavor pressure on the water created by the vacuum, would be equaly tempered with the freezing cold temps and would more than likely freeze as a fine mist at 1`st and then deeper tissues would just freeze as normal as the corpse developed a crust? :)

But you have only radiation to transfer heat and at ~310 K that's fairly inefficient.

how do things freeze so fast in space? even the excess water from the air purifiers on the shuttle freeze almost instantly when flushed into space :)

my esstimation is that it isn`t as inefficient as one may think :)