What would happen if you were teleported to pluto/sedna for 1/2ms.. then back

Nisou

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you 100%, that was my point, but since in space the only way that "cold" may effect you is radiating heat, I recon heat radiation isn`t all that ineffective, when you consider what it can do to ejected water :)

how do things freeze so fast in space? even the excess water from the air purifiers on the shuttle freeze almost instantly when flushed into space :)

my esstimation is that it isn`t as inefficient as one may think :)

It wouldn't freeze solid upon ejection. Do you have a link for that?

You get a lot of surface area, and the presence of a decent vacuum means that much of the liquid will vaporize - essentially a lot of evaporation. That takes the high-energy particles away. Anything left over is going to be significantly colder. That part might freeze pretty quickly.

Because it's cold?

(I don't mean for this to sound patronising btw :)).

What, exactly, do you think is cold? What happens when you put something hot into a vacuum-encased thermos, and why? (I also don't mean to sound patronising.)

the reason water freezes so quickly upon being ejected into space is because it boils and disperses, giving it a massive surface area over which to radiate. Futhermore, in order to boil, the water has to obtain it's specific latent heat from somewhere in order to boil, and it does this by taking the energy from other bits of water further accelerating the freezing process. You can see another effect which will freeze the water if you open a canister of pressurised CO2; a load of water will freeze around the nozzle as a result of PV/T=constant. So there are a number of freezing processes, and radiation is a very very minor one.

If wou were to fill a football full of water and dump that into space, it would take alot longer to freeze.

(just notices swansont's reply, which is spot on)