What would happen if you were teleported to pluto/sedna for 1/2ms.. then back

Nisou

What would happen if you were teleported to pluto/sedna for 1 to 1/2 a millisecond.. then back

i duno.. this topic just popped into my mind.. would you freeze to death even with the 1ms? would you even feel as though you were there? would you see black space?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no. Freezing to death isn't too much of a problem, because the energy would have to be lost by radiation, which is quite slow. assuming you held your breath and had earplugs in, you should be ok. It would be quite bright actually because of the masses of starlight.

yeap. one concern though might be your feet. In the time you were there, the heat from your feet would probably boil away a good bit of the methane ice underneath you. (I think that methane ice is proposed on the surfaces of these planets). one ms wouldn't be much though. I have held my hand in liquid nitrogen for alot longer than that.

no. Freezing to death isn't too much of a problem, because the energy would have to be lost by radiation, which is quite slow. assuming you held your breath and had earplugs in, you should be ok. It would be quite bright actually because of the masses of starlight.

Holding your breath would be tough, and possibly cause damage. I don't think it would be particularly bright - not much different than a moonless night away from light pollution here on earth.

No, you're right. If you experience sudden decompression, the presence of air in your lungs coupled with no atmospheric pressure outside would cause them to expand quite rapidly, and hence they'd probably explode within a matter of a few seconds. Not pleasent.

Holding your breath would be tough, and possibly cause damage. I don't think it would be particularly bright - not much different than a moonless night away from light pollution here on earth.

1ms is not too bad to hold your breath for though. and moonless nights are quite bright, at least I find so anyway. perhaps I have good night vision.

No, you're right. If you experience sudden decompression, the presence of air in your lungs coupled with no atmospheric pressure outside would cause them to expand quite rapidly, and hence they'd probably explode within a matter of a few seconds. Not pleasent.

the only really dangerous bit is your nose, ears, mouth and eyes since that is where the air will get out, anywhere else, the pressure is pushing against your internal organs, ribcage and so on - kind of like an inflated football. also your bottom and other assorted plumbing might need sealing too. We are only talking about a millisecond or so though, however I think that sayonara is correct in that you should expel as much air as possible first though. There is less to expand that way.

okay, so if you stayed for about 5 seconds on the planet.. you would explode..die from radiation.. i wish i were on pluto, itd be so nice and pretty

No, if you were exposed to vacuum for a length of time, you would most decidedly NOT explode. Some tissue damage might occur from your compulsion to exhale, but that's not the same thing. You's asphyxiate after a short while.

Your body is mostly water, the coefficient of expansion for water is really, really small, and it's only a 1 atm difference in pressure. Diving to 30 ft doesn't crush you for similar reasons.

if you put your hand in liquid nitrogen, the liquid doesn`t even touch you, the heat of your hand creates a barrier of nitrogen gas as the liquid evaporates on contact :)

it`s quite safe for a second, maybe two, then it gets cold as too much heat is being removed from your hand, a flower will have this effect for a fraction of a second also, but it will start off at room temperature and has a greater surface area and less mass than your hand, hence crispies in seconds :)